What scope for .50 BMG?

Having buyers remorse?

seen this on the EE, how does it compare to your price

http://www.ar15.com/...761_50_bmg.html

No buyers remorse here. :)

I didn't want a used gun and only want the newest version B.

There is only $99 difference in what I paid for mine and its a NIB version B.

Trust me, I Googled for weeks to find an AR50A1B from a legit seller for a decent price.

Besides that, this guy has them new for $2,686 and since I was going to get the bi-pod with it, he was going to do free shipping, too. I just got tired of waiting after he said he might have one in stock in two weeks and then two weeks passed with no AR50.

http://grabagun.com/...31-blk-blk.html

No more waiting for me! I pick mine up today! :yum:

Edited by JohnC
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had buys remorse for 2wks, I started noticing alot being posted right after I bought mine at ok"ish" prices, but most were over priced everywhere I looked prior to finding the one, every once in awhile a deal shows up and you gotta be quick...

If I had the money for a Barrett .50 BMG M82A1, I don't think I could have any buyers remorse! No way to contain that excitement! I think I'd sleep with it next to me every night! :lol:

Maybe in the not too distant future I'll have a Barrett.

• 2 weeks later...

My testing and evaluation was late November 2010, I do not know it that was before or after the "refinement" you mention. But again what matters is how you like it.

Got word on what some of the updates were to the AR50-A1 B from ArmaLite on FB:

We added a bolt stop button so you don't need a screwdriver to remove your bolt anymore. Also we reinforced the muzzle brake. The 50 has been refined, with smoother action, and even greater strength than the original AR-50.

Also, my AR50 has a Hogue type AR15/M16 grip instead of the standard plastic grip they used to come with.

I did notice the earlier rifles on youtube, it looks like the bolt is really stiff, or better put, hard to lock shut. So if I recall a review I seen correct, they fixed that issue with an update to the bolt locking lugs.

I know my bolt is smooth as butter and takes no real effort to lock closed or open. I'd say it is smoother than my Remington 700 .270 Winchester to slide in/out and barely more noticeable effort over the Remming to lock shut and just as easy to open.

Just thought I'd update you. Maybe you can get your hands on the new version B and do your testing again! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I decided on Barrett Zero Gap Ultra High Scope rings. Picked up a set last weekend from Outpost Armory. :yum:

Now I'm trying to still decide on which scope.

Since I have terrible vision in my right eye, I'm set on getting a high power scope that in variable power, at least goes to 25x.

In Leupold, I like this one: http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/mark-4-ert-riflescopes/mark-4-ert-8-5-25x50mm-30mm-m5/

I like the Nightforce NXS scopes, but they don't have the Zero Stop option or Front Focal on their 32x and 42x scopes.

That really sucks because I'd go for this one: http://nightforceoptics.com/12-42-x-56-nxs/ if it had those options.

So I'm still trying to decide if I want to sacrifice the 42x just for Zero Stop and no Front Focal. :shrug:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

I shot it for the heck of it without a scope. It's a whole lot of awesome! There is no more kick than a .22 long rifle and I'm not kidding there! :love:

Just some highlights...

Shot it without ear muffs and just cheapy foam ear plugs. HUGE MISTAKE! :doh::owned:

It took out my hearing for 2-3 seconds, after which I heard an odd noise and then my hearing slowly came back. Of course some ringing ensued. :eek:

It started to rain and the muzzle blast was blowing the rain water off the tin roof at the range! :biglol:

The only downside, you just can't walk up and start shooting a 50 at the range. You got to clear folks away from the muzzle blast and anyone nearby without at least ear muffs has to stop shooting and put their hands over their ears along with wearing ear plugs.

I'm not sure how far away from the gun is safe with just ear plugs alone, but not sure I want to be the one to test it out! :surrender:

Is the AR50 louder than a Barrett 82A1 because of the brake? Or are they all this loud and have basically the same muzzle blast? :tough:

Thanks.

I shot it for the heck of it without a scope. It's a whole lot of awesome! There is no more kick than a .22 long rifle and I'm not kidding there! :love:

Just some highlights...

Shot it without ear muffs and just cheapy foam ear plugs. HUGE MISTAKE! :doh::owned:

It took out my hearing for 2-3 seconds, after which I heard an odd noise and then my hearing slowly came back. Of course some ringing ensued. :eek:

It started to rain and the muzzle blast was blowing the rain water off the tin roof at the range! :biglol:

The only downside, you just can't walk up and start shooting a 50 at the range. You got to clear folks away from the muzzle blast and anyone nearby without at least ear muffs has to stop shooting and put their hands over their ears along with wearing ear plugs.

I'm not sure how far away from the gun is safe with just ear plugs alone, but not sure I want to be the one to test it out! :surrender:

Is the AR50 louder than a Barrett 82A1 because of the brake? Or are they all this loud and have basically the same muzzle blast? :tough:

You need to double up, ear plugs and muffs if not you'll pay now and pay later, I went out 3wks ago shot 30 rounds myself and my son and brother-inlaw shot 20 more, I only used ear plugs and paid for 5 days with mono hearing, silly me my muffs were in my range bag.

Don't know anything about the muzzle blast on a AR50 but the barrett brake will get your attention, you can feel the pressure wave 50+ feet away and it is loud as F**K..

I have a black powder cannon. Shakes the ground 200 ft. away. As for recoil, the .50 was very mild. One awesome muzzle brake.

Awesome!

BTW... I did google earth satellite view on the range. It looks like nothing but forest behind the targets for miles. I was wondering why they don't at least have a 600 yard range up there. :)