Dealer took my suppressor out shooting without my permission

I bought a suppressor and sent paperwork in last November. I did a trigger job on the host and finally got the threaded barrel fitted. So a few weeks ago I went by the shop to check the fit and there was residue inside the can. I asked him how many rounds he put through it. He then hesitated and admitted " One.........well maybe two". I didn't say anything at the time because the stamp is not approved yet. I don't want it screwed on to a machine gun and a few mags ran through it. I really feel like I paid new price for what is now a used suppressor. A baffle strike would have been great. I'm pissed. I've done all of my new gun purchases there for at least 15 years. I'm going to take the hour twenty drive to Guns and Leather on the 16th.

I don't think I would flip out on the guy or demand some form of compensation. After you complete the process and the suppressor is yours I would very calmly tell him that you have lost confidence in his ability to make good, ethical decisions and you will be taking your business elsewhere from here on out. If you have been doing business with this man for 15 years this will speak more to him than demanding a discount or causing a scene will. Also, in instances like these I do think it is kind of important to tell the members here where it was.

• Like 1

WOW is all I have to say. I would be willing to bet it was way more than a couple of rounds. They are not going to take it to the range only to fire a couple of rounds. Suppressors have a lifespan and every round chips away at it.

Did you notice any discoloring or obvious signs of heat?

I would never use him again because if he feels comfortable enough to do this it is hard to say what else he has done. Hearing this I bet he takes unique or "cool" guns out to shoot regularly before the customers pick them up.

I hate to say it but there is nothing you can do and you are probably going to be hit with an attitude when asking for anything in return. I would take your 15 year history and flush it down the drain.

Dolomite

Dolomite has sound advice. After this transfer, list him publicly here and never use him again. Any dealer that is willing to use your can without permission, especially putting rounds through it, is a dealer not to be trusted.

eta: You're damn lucky you didn't get a strike. Especially being so close to approval.

Edited by scoutfsu

Dolomite has sound advice. After this transfer, list him publicly here and never use him again. Any dealer that is willing to use your can without permission, especially putting rounds through it, is a dealer not to be trusted.

eta: You're damn lucky you didn't get a strike. Especially being so close to approval.

While I've probably never used this dealer, I'd like to know who it is, to avoid ever using them.

If it were mine, and he had asked, I would have said "go ahead". But doing it without asking is wrong. I agree, tell him he has lost your business and why, and move on. He may try to make it right, and its up to you to accept that or not, but I could never trust the person again.

My buddy transfered a transferable into our dealer, we both went down to the shop the day it arrived, to check it out and do the paperwork, the dealer cracked a joke saying he'd keep the round count under 1k, my buddy turned 3 shades of red and said you better not, needless to say 4 months later it went untouched, thank god, but that joke cost them several more transfers by me and my buddy and a few don't go there speeches...

From the time the paperwork is started the serial number of the NFA item is tied to it. There is no way to swap in a brand new suppressor unless the paperwork is started again.

Dolomite

Can he replace the core with a new one without messing up the paperwork?

Can he replace the core with a new one without messing up the paperwork?

Yes, providing the dealer doing the transfer is also licensed to make Suppressors. A dealer who does transfers doesn't necessarily have the license to make them.

If not then the can must be transferred back to the maker for repair. Then transferred back to the dealer. And all that takes time.

I am unsure how that would affect the transfer from the dealer to the individual. Seems like at a minimum it would be put on hold. Worse case scenario would be to have to start the process again.

And of the tube was damaged the $200, the wait and the suppressor are all gone. A manufacturer is not allowed to make replacements of the serialized parts although I think, but can't prove, that some do.

OP, consider yourself very lucky. A little carbon is a lot better than any of the alternatives. Nonetheless I would sever all ties with that dealer AFTER you get you can in hand. I do believe he can still refuse to do the transfer and tell you to find another dealer which will only add time to the already lengthy weight.

Dolomite

OP, consider yourself very lucky. A little carbon is a lot better than any of the alternatives. Nonetheless I would sever all ties with that dealer AFTER you get you can in hand. I do believe he can still refuse to do the transfer and tell you to find another dealer which will only add time to the already lengthy weight.

Dolomite

Good point, might be a good idea to not talk about this and have a mod delete the thread until you have it in hand. If he gets on TGO and reads this, he's gonna KNOW it's him we're talking about.

If not then the can must be transferred back to the maker for repair. Then transferred back to the dealer. And all that takes time.

I am unsure how that would affect the transfer from the dealer to the individual. Seems like at a minimum it would be put on hold. Worse case scenario would be to have to start the process again.

Dolomite

If it's going back to the manufacturer for warranty work, I don't think a transfer is involved. Since it is considered a firearm, it should be the same process as getting a gun worked on.