buying my first GLOCK

Guest adamparker86

Guest adamparker86

so im going to go put my first glock on lay away monday its a glock model 22, and i cant freaking wait .ive always wanted one and i guess im going to get. any advice on what gen. to get thinking about 2nd

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you meant "gun" instead of "gen" which is short for generation, which is often a term used with glocks. Depends, are you plan on daily carrying? The glock 22 is a full-size gun. You can carry, but might be a little big. I would probably go with a 9mm, since ammo prices are through the roof, and 9mm is cheaper to shoot than 40. Can't go wrong with a glock 19 or 26. I personally have the G17, G19, G23, G29, G36. And if worst came to worst, my glocks would be the last gun I'd get rid of. Have you thought about an Ar-15 for your second gun? Let us know more of what your intentions are for a 2nd gun...and I'm sure the advice will pour in.

I'm supposing, because he said:

any advice on what gen. to get thinking about 2nd

... that he did indeed mean what generation. That being the case... it depends on what grip style you like. The finger grooves of the 3rd gen models fit my hands perfectly. That's not the case with some. My hands are kinda big, but I have skinnier fingers than most. You need to try both 2nd and 3rd gen to see which feels most comfortable for you. Performance wise, there won't be any difference.

Guest Victor9er

I have a gen4 G22 and I love it. I really like the new grips on the gen4's, I know some people are stuck in their ways but the gen3 grips just don't feel right to me... too slick. I've heard a lot of people that complain about the gen4 and how Glock "messed up a good thing" and how much they love their gen3's, yet the first thing they do to their gen3 is put some sort of grip tape/texture on the handle.

Make sure you hold one of each in your hand and see which one you prefer. I'd suggest either a gen3 or a gen4, but I haven't shot a gen2 and honestly I'm not sure where you'd be able to find one unless it's used.

Edited by Victor9er

I hate the ergonomics on Glocks (regardless of model or generation) but it really is hard for me to complain about how they perform, anyway I will be looking forward to reading your first range report to see how ya iike your new sidearm.

Guest No Ammo

I have a gen4 G22 and I love it. I really like the new grips on the gen4's, I know some people are stuck in their ways but the gen3 grips just don't feel right to me... too slick. I've heard a lot of people that complain about the gen4 and how Glock "messed up a good thing" and how much they love their gen3's, yet the first thing they do to their gen3 is put some sort of grip tape/texture on the handle.

Make sure you hold one of each in your hand and see which one you prefer. I'd suggest either a gen3 or a gen4, but I haven't shot a gen2 and honestly I'm not sure where you'd be able to find one unless it's used.

+1 Gen 4

For you, I guess... meaty hands?

For me too. Average hands. Actually, everybody I've ever had hold 19/23 one has middle finger ride up on the ridge of the first groove, and consequently pushes the others up on ridges of the others. It's just that it doesn't seem to bother most folks. I assume it's the same on the other full sized models, though I don't know if I've ever compared.

Look at your own.

Oddly, the first groove on 26/27's is larger and the (only two) fingers actually fit down IN the hollows.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

For you, I guess... meaty hands?

Nope. But the top groove is just enough, by a hair, to not let my middle finger be comfortable. Not a problem on a 17/22 Gen 3.

...and what OS just said. We've had this discussion at length at dealer tables trying to find a comfortable grip on Gen 3 compact.

Gen 4's on the other hand are a great improvement as the groove is not quite as pronounced, at least for me.

Edited by Garufa
Guest adamparker86

yea i was talking about the generations.. they got a whole rack of gen 2 glock22's for a reasonable price. (old service weapons?) i dont like lazers or lights so no need for a rail, and i like a smooth grip.so i think the gen2 is the one for me

For me too. Average hands. Actually, everybody I've ever had hold 19/23 one has middle finger ride up on the ridge of the first groove, and consequently pushes the others up on ridges of the others. It's just that it doesn't seem to bother most folks. I assume it's the same on the other full sized models.

Look at your own.

Oddly, the first groove on 26/27's is larger and the (only two) fingers actually fit down IN the hollows.

- OS

My fingers fit right in the grooves of my 19. Got it right here next to me.

• Like 1

does any1 know why civillians cant buy the .380 glock

It doesn't get enough "points" under the BATF system to be imported. Actually, most Glocks barely do, period.

I guess if they made it in factory here, it could be sold here.

But, smaller one is same size as G26/27, so who would practically want one, except maybe for folks who collect one of everything?

Can't imagine any US LEAs wanting them either?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

My 22 is a Gen 3. It's my duty gun. I've CC'd it a few times mostly in the winter. The Gen 3 23 is my EDC. All of mine are gen 3's. I have nothing against the 4 except I don't like the grips as much.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

Edited by glowdotGlock