There's a wonderful surplus powder out there now called SMP-842. It bears similar properties as CFE223 In that copper fouling is greatly reduced due to a chemical compound present in the powder itself. Problem is, there's VERY little support for the powder as far as how to load it.

Dolomite_Supafly will chime in here sometime with his results and any of you other guys trying it, PLEASE post your chronographed results. It'll help us all out.

***This is NOT to be considered safe load data for you to use. I am NOT a ballistics expert. This is for academic study ONLY***

Okay, my first results are not very professional. I've been fighting my back again and I had a headache when I loaded these so I did not hand weigh each one. I set my Lyman 55 and verified by scale the first ten. In the future I will be hand weighing each one.

The test rifle today was a 1/7 twist Spikes upper 5,56 chambered 16 inch chrome lined AR

Load was a Federal case, Win small rifle standard primer, 62g steel core FMJBT, 24g of SMP842, OAL 2.250, crimp set with a Lee Factory crimp die.

I fired a 30 round group.

High = 2935 fps

Low = 2848 fps

overall average = 2,908 FPS

Accuracy was great. Shot at 50 yards with an Eotech, and I wasn't shooting for accuracy, I just tried not to shoot my chronograph :rofl:

and they were all inside a 6 inch circle.

I will be working up a more carefully assembled lot this week to be fired from my CZ527. I will post the results then.

Not sure how much difference it makes but mine is marked WC and not SMP.

I had to back off 5% on my loads.( Compared to CFE223) As I was having slight primer flows ( flat primers) and craters In my 20 and 24 inch ARs.

Also Im not sure if this matters. I do not crimp my 223s.

I have no chrono but I will have one soon.

Edited by JeffsSig

I have some .204 Ruger data that I worked up and am willing to share privately on Barnes 26, Dogtown 34, Berger 35, Hornady VMAX 32 & VMAX 40. It is second stage testing.

In .204 Ruger, over the five projectiles I am testing, WC-842/SMP-842 (mine has both, WC over top of SMP) is a minimum of 15%-20% *hotter* than CFE223 data.

Contact me via PM if you need a place to start on these projectiles.

Be careful working up new calibers in this one. It surprised me on the Dogtown 34s. It was 25-30% over what I expected (I was using reduced CFE data for Berger 35 as a starting point).

I STRONGLY SUGGEST USING A CHRONO ON THIS.

Bert

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

Okay, a little more professional about it this morning.

Rifle-CZ527, 24 inch barrel, 1/9 twist.

Load 1

*Rp case

*CCI SR primer

*SPM-842 - 24g hand weighed

*OAL - 2.235

*50g Midway dogtown soft point

Fired a 30 shot string and recorded each shot.

Highest velocity - 3336 FPS

Lowest velocity - 3158 fps

Average velocity was - 3270 fps

ALL 30 shots were inside a 2 inch circle at 50 yards with only 5 fliers [still inside the 2 inch circle mind you] so accuracy was VERY nice.

Load 2

*RP case

*CCI SR primer

*SMP-842 - 20g hand weighed

*OAL - 2.275

*73g Hornady Amax

30 shot string

Highest velocity - 2682 FPS

Lowest velocity - 2592 FPS

Average for all shots was 2645 fps

Accuracy was nothing short of bad aßß!!! All shots touching inside a 2 inch circle at 50 yards. I'm loving this load!!!!!!!!!!!! It was very consistent by my lowly standards.

Mine is marked WC 842 and my jug is quite a bit off (hotter than) the CFE223 data.

Data below for .223 using 77g Noslers and CCI Military Small Rifle primers, 2.260 OAL, light crimp, 16" barrel:

21.0g 2477ft/s

21.5g 2569 ft/s

22.0g 2650 ft/s blew out a couple of primers started seeing case flow into ejector hole

22.5g only fired a few, every primer blew out and pronounced case flow into ejector hole

The CFE 223 data for a 77g Sierra is 22.5 starting load and 24.3 max with velocity range of 2627-2811 from a 24" barrel. Adjusting for barrel length looks like I was around max pressures below the recommended starting load.

• Like 1

i loaded and shot some this evening in 223 with 62 grain ss109s . it shot pretty good with pulled bullets and was very clean

Yes they do.

I picked up some more of those from you at the last show along with a box of primed brass. Tucked that thousand rounds away for hard times.

Edited by Caster

What charge did you use?

I am trying to compile some data for you.

Dolomite

Give me a few more weeks. Maybe a month. I'll send you my data book for SMP-842. I want to test out another dozen or so different kind of bullets I have. Variety is good, no?

Adding to what you have and any other help offered here and maybe we can get a decent data sheet going.

Here is more of my results.

*LC Primed brass

*LC

*SMP-842 - 26.6g as dropped

*OAL - 2.235

*53 GR SMK

Highest velocity - 3,383 FPS

Lowest velocity - 3,382 FPS

Average for all shots was 3,383 fps

ES - 2.83

SD - 1.73

Warning:

This powder tends to be a bit fast. With 53 grain SMK's I would consider 26.7 the absolutely maximum charge regardless of weapon platform. I would consider 24.0 a good starting load with the 53 SMK's. But that is in my weapon with me shooting it. You need to work up your own loads accordingly.

It is an amazing powder. This is going to be the powder I will use when consistency and accuracy matters. I have used it and shot smaller groups with it than with Varget.

Dolomite

• Like 1

when i bought it from my surplus supplier that is what i was told to use cfe223 data.he was not right in my testing it is about 15-20%faster but once you figure that out its a great powder very clean and easy to light very stable if anyone bought and doesnt like it or dont want to use it just bring it back cause like everything else i sell i stand behind it

• Like 1

How well does it work for pushing the heavies, like 80 gr Bergers?

Load 2

*RP case

*CCI SR primer

*SMP-842 - 20g hand weighed

*OAL - 2.275

*73g Hornady Amax

30 shot string

Highest velocity - 2682 FPS

Lowest velocity - 2592 FPS

Average for all shots was 2645 fps

Accuracy was nothing short of bad aßß!!! All shots touching inside a 2 inch circle at 50 yards. I'm loving this load!!!!!!!!!!!! It was very consistent by my lowly standards.

One would need to proceed with great caution. 73g bullet, and I was getting 2,600 FPS with only 20g of powder. BUT, I think it would do incredibly well. The consistent results Dolomite is getting is awesome. The accuracy I was getting @ 20g with the 73g Amax made me very happy.

If you have a chronograph, you'll be just fine though. Try it!

Today my plan is to use the powder to load 40 grain V-Max bullets to 3,600 fps.

I am going to start at 26.5 and work up from there. I should be OK because 26.6 is what I used for 53 SMK's.

I will come back and edit this post with the data.......

Dolomite

.......or pictures of the stitches. :bowrofl:

Kidding.

Be safe!