I asked for some SMP 842 from DLM, and he hooked me up with 8lbs. I noticed this week, however, that the jug says WC 842...I am a little confused. Are they the same, or was a mistake made?

Edited by atlas3025

I asked for some SMP 842 from DLM, and he hooked me up with 8lbs. I noticed this week, however, that the jug says WC 842...I am a little confused. Are they the same, or was a mistake made?

Same thing, so I've read.

Edited by mikegideon

Well just picked up 16lbs of the 842 and some brass. Thanks Mr.David

On a side note picked 1k of 175gr SMKs so I can do some 308 loading

Start out well below the minimum for the CFE load data for 308. Probably at least 2 grains lower. Then watch for pressure or the best way is over a chronograph.

Dolomite

• 2 months later...

anybody still working on SMP-842 ?

.204 Ruger

34gr Dogtown JHP

~1 MOA 5 shot group

25.0 gr SMP-842

2.250' OAL

Tula SRP

3750 fps avg, 190 ES, 78 SD

- Not as good as I hoped, but was not using bench rest (got lazy) OK for plinking & varmint. Maybe with tweak, magnum primer could get to 0.5 MOA (like I do with H4895 on the DTs)

Will start loading and fine tuning premium bullets in a week or two.

Edited by R_Bert

My experience has been this:

Primed lake city brass

62 grain SS 109

Crimped

16" AR15

25.7=~3,045

25.8=~3,070

25.9=~3,095

This is in my gun. I assume no responsibility in the data I just posted in your firearm.

Dolomite

This. I loaded some up to this exact spec and had matching results. My barrel is a 1:7 twist 16". Was VERY happy with the load. Held good groups too.

A question I posted on the .204 Ruger Forum - please add any suggestions or Quick Load calculations

Considering Sierra Blitzkings in .204 Ruger in 32 & 39 grains...

Where should I start my test loads?

I am thinking OAL of 2.250" (to keep it simple) and 24.0 gr (Sierra 32) & 23.5 gr (Sierra 40) respectively of 842. Primers will be Tula SRP for now (they are playing pretty good on the other tests).

The test gun is a T/C Encore

Thoughts ?

Edited by R_Bert
  • 1 month later...

Hate to dig up an old thread but I've just got down to my 8lb jug of SMP842 I bought this past summer. Just wondering if there is a consensus on what data to use? It looks like it burns close to H335. Looking to load 55gr bullets using 23-25 gr. Does this seem I'm heading in the right direction?

Hate to dig up an old thread but I've just got down to my 8lb jug of SMP842 I bought this past summer. Just wondering if there is a consensus on what data to use? It looks like it burns close to H335. Looking to load 55gr bullets using 23-25 gr. Does this seem I'm heading in the right direction?

I'm pretty conservative. Others may have gone further, but I'd say if your rifle is in good shape, start around 22.0 and your listed 25.0 would be absolute max. I have yet to load anything above 24.0 With satisfactory results although I know others have. I prefer to not push it.

Edited by Caster

i should have pressure data soon i finally found my oaeler 45 so i can do some testing only caster knows how messy my reloading room is

Do you still have a good supply of this powder? If my results turn out as well as everyone else's I'd like to get a good stock pile of it.

For 55 grain I sould start out at 25.5 grains. I load 53 grain SMK's with 26.6 grains. That gives me 3,383 fps and is max. But starting at 25.5 should be fine.

I use 25.8 grains for 62 grain bullets.

Dolomite

Thanks, I'm going to start loading up a few tonight and hopefully get to the range this weekend. I've got to get a new tripod for my chronograph.

• 2 months later...
Guest shooterdoc

After reading this thread several times it seems that 842 must be faster than H335 and cfe223, so I wonder if it is close to H322.  If so would it be suitable for working up loads for 6.8 SPC?  Any hardy souls out there have any experience trying this combination?

• 10 months later...
Guest AR_Cowboy

Mine is marked WC 842 and my jug is quite a bit off (hotter than) the CFE223 data.

Data below for .223 using 77g Noslers and CCI Military Small Rifle primers, 2.260 OAL, light crimp, 16" barrel:
21.0g 2477ft/s
21.5g 2569 ft/s
22.0g 2650 ft/s blew out a couple of primers started seeing case flow into ejector hole
22.5g only fired a few, every primer blew out and pronounced case flow into ejector hole

The CFE 223 data for a 77g Sierra is 22.5 starting load and 24.3 max with velocity range of 2627-2811 from a 24" barrel. Adjusting for barrel length looks like I was around max pressures below the recommended starting load.

First post.

Before I saw this post I looked at the minimum for CFE223 and decided that I would start at 22.7 grains to try in my 10.5" upper. The brass was pulled and primed surplus also from David. All I did was resized the neck and seat to 2.260 with a light crimp using the Lee FCD. I only wanted to get a chrono reading so I didn't look at grouping. I got 2,490 fps which I was happy with. I didn't see any pressure signs but as I have never see pressure signs in person I doubt that I would know them unless it was very obvious. These rounds do go boom!

I have a ladder all the way up to 24 grains but from reading this post I might already be at the top end with the 22.7 grain loading.

Can anyone help me with a tutorial on pressure signs? I hope to shoot the ladder on Friday if we can get thawed out here in Dallas.

842 is nominally 15% hotter than CFE223.  I normally err on side of caution and reduce 842 by 20% and confirm by chronograph.

It will get hairy on you with little warning.

When I am developing an unknown, I usually not only do the above, I run my initial tests in one of my Thompson Center frames.

Last, pay *close* attention to the guidance given by Dolomite & David on this stuff. 

Do not fail to wear eye protection. I have had hot gas in my face out of this stuff, and very flattened primers.

Guest AR_Cowboy
I will ladder down to 21 grains from 22.7 grains and post my chrono results. As a general rule, how many fps should I expect to give up using my 10.5" barrel rather than a 16" barrel?

I'm surprised that I got 2490 fps with 22.7 grains and the post I quoted got basically the same results with 21 grains from a 16" barrel.