.22 330 yards

My 13 year old son and I did some shooting at 330 yards with a .22. Some of the most fun I have had shooting. Kind of like shooting larger caliber at longer distances. What I did not expect was being able to hear the ping at that distance w/ a .22.

Drop was 144" using CCI Blazer.

[media=]

Edited by Tempest455
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. My longest shot with a .22lr was 250 yds and I convinced myself it was a world record.

Thanks. The cylinder was not even in the scope on the POA, just the cover on top. Scope has 4 mil dots up, we were at bottom of scope, roughly 10-12 mil dots if it had that many. :)

There is a guy over on THR by the name "Clayne" that shoots out to 500 often with a .22 LR. If I recall, he said his POA was the mountain top behind the steel targets.

Hmm I shoot my .22 at 200 pretty regularly. I think its a question of optics more than anything else, that and finding the drop at the range you want to shoot at. I have 7 and 9 power scopes on my main .22s and 200 is really not that difficult with such a setup. I do not know if I could even see a 2-3 inch target with a low power (3-4) scope at that range...

I can bust a clay and hit a tin can 'bout every shot at 122.5 years yards with 10/22. (that's the actual distance of the "100 yard" stands at the Norris range a bunch of us frequent.

Just so happens that the 3-9 scopes I use, if zeroed at 50 yards, the ^ part of the vertical reticule where it first fattens up is 'bout perfect for that distance with the round I most often shoot (Blazer 40 gr. lead head).

Guess I could find some memorable area on it to do same at 200 (longest range there).

Lord knows Dolomite can do it -- what's cool is him shooting his suppressed AR with subsonic .22 at plate at 200. All you hear is the bolt and 1.5 second later the ping on the faraway plate. Every time!

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I can bust a clay and hit a tin can 'bout every shot at 122.5 years with 10/22. (that's the actual distance of the "100 yard" stands at the Norris range a bunch of us frequent.

Just so happens that the 3-9 scopes I use, if zeroed at 50 yards, the ^ part of the vertical reticule where it first fattens up is 'bout perfect for that distance with the round I most often shoot (Blazer 40 gr. lead head).

Guess I could find some memorable area on it to do same at 200 (longest range there).

Lord knows Dolomite can do it -- what's cool is him shooting his suppressed AR with subsonic .22 at plate at 200. All you hear is the bolt and 1.5 second later the ping on the faraway plate. Every time!

- OS

I knew you was OLD Ohshoot But every 122.5 YEARS? Did they even have a 22 back then? :up:

Hmm I shoot my .22 at 200 pretty regularly. I think its a question of optics more than anything else, that and finding the drop at the range you want to shoot at. I have 7 and 9 power scopes on my main .22s and 200 is really not that difficult with such a setup. I do not know if I could even see a 2-3 inch target with a low power (3-4) scope at that range...

My $.02. I honestly think the rifle is more important than optics when you are talking about .22LR at this distance. That is, assuming you can see the target, know it's zeroed properly and know your MOA drop.

This rifle shoots sub MOA, has done a best of .900" groups at 100 and .450" at 50 yards. You multiply that out at 330 yards, a 2-3 MOA rifle will have a hard time at that distance. Put it this way, I know we would not have hit the target (or been hard pressed to) with my Marlin 60.

.22LR's are definitely a lot of fun, I have several .22LR rifles but only one of them is setup for what I would consider "long distance precision shooting" well at least for that teeny-weeny caliber anyway, it is a CZ 452 American topped with a (Japanese manufactured) Tasco Varmint 6-24x, Harris bipod, shooting Federal Gold Medal match ammunition, etc.

Great, (relatively) inexpensive fun that is for sure!