Best edc folder?

second the spyderco tenacious!...although the kershaw OSO and skyline really rock too! why... the way they carry and blade metal...that stays sharp and isn't hard to resharpen.

Edited by sigrug17

I don't really know if there is a best. I think it is all a matter of personal preference. The sebenza and 0561 are really great knives (own them both), and they are definitely on my favorites list. The two folding knives I use the most and are probably my favorites due to the unbelievable durability and ruggedness are the XM-24 and ZT 0300. I know a lot of people don't like the 0300 due to the weight and size, but those are some of the reasons it is one of my favorites.

I guess I am a little odd since I like big and heavy folding knives.

The best for me has been the Cold Steel Recon 1. It's probably a little big for those with tiny girly hands, but it fits me perfectly.

The shape and texture of the handle are great, and the overall quality for an EDC that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is hard to beat.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk 2

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1

No such thing as "best".

Currently, I'm EDCing in pockets CS American Lawman, Buck Vantage (hybrid), and Buck Stockman.

Others that have had EDC stints in last couple/three years: Spyderco Military, Buck 110, CS Voyager (first model), Kershaw Tremor, SRM 710, a couple of different Enlan models.

Plus a necker at just about all times. Oh, yeah, and a credit card knife in wallet. :)

I don't own but 2 or 3 knives that cost over a c-note, generally settle for solid performers in less rarefied price ranges, and there are lots of good choices anymore.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I'm with OhShoot on this one. I've gone through quite a few over the last few years. These are the ones I don't plan on getting rid of:

100_0347.jpg

ZT350, Tenacious, Mini Cyclone, Gerber Evo, Skyline, Delica, Leek, G10 Hawk

It's probably a little big for those with tiny girly hands, but it fits me perfectly.

What are you getting at TDR?

bk_tinyhands.jpg

As far as size goes, the ZT350 feels great in hand, but is considerably heaver than the rest of these. Added to the 50lbs of other crap I carry with me at all times, I'm gonna have to start wearing suspenders. :-) The Tenacious is roughly the same size, but noticeably lighter.

Edited by jtluttrell
  • Like 1

There are so many that you could drive yourself crazy trying to decide.

Here are some that I have in my carry rotation:

Kershaw:

Skyline

Blur

Tension (Cabelas exclusive)

Chive

Spyderco:

Tenacious

Ambitious

Centofante 3

Benchmade:

Mini Griptilian

Aphid

CRKT:

Drifter - framelock version

Ripple 2 - Ti-nitride frame with IKBS pivot

Victorinox:

Tinker

Alox Solo

Leatherman Micra

• Like 1

My EDC for years was a Benchmade (forget the model), but i's all metal and heavy. I've never had another knife that holds an edge as well.

For the last year or so, I've carried a black Kershaw Leek speedsafe. I absolutely love the blade shape, but I have to sharpen it a little more often.

If I got a new knife to carry, it'd probably be a Benchmade H&K series. I like to stay at/around the $50 mark myself. Leaves me more spending money for reloading components :D

My EDC knife for the last 15 years or so was a Buck Odyssey, which IMHO is an absolutely fantastic knife, as a matter of fact it is probably one of my all-time favorite pocket knives, however the last few months I've been carrying a Leatherman FreeStyle, which while not quite as comfortable in my hand as my Odyssey, it is more comfortable than any of my other multi-tools (which of course have knife blades on them but they were cumbersome to open/close & uncomfortable to use for anything except for light cutting tasks &/or for short periods of time).

See'ing as I had always carried a multi-tool in addition to the Odyssey, (mostly for the pliers which I tend to use quite a bit) essentially the FreeStyle makes a pretty decent compromise between the knife & multi-tool platforms, so now I am able to carry just the FreeStyle and am able to leave my other pocket knives & multi-tools at home or in high need areas such as in tackle/tool/glove/etc boxes.

100_0408.jpg

100_0407.jpg

• Like 1

The time I have a knife seems to be inversely proportional to what I pay for it. That being said, my edc for the past few years has been a Kersaw Leek that someone gave to me used. It has been a great one, and I have already decided that when I loose it, I will probably buy another. That is, of course, unless I can find someone to give me another one.

I also like the Chive; especially while wearing scrubs. As ya'll probably know, it is the same design, just a little lighter. I had one that I bought, but naturally, I lost that one. So now, it is back to the leek even with the scrubs.

For my budget and propensity to loose knives, I think the two aforementioned knives would be my best edc. I like the operation, the size, the price, and materials quality better than any of the other knives I have lost.

• Like 1

... I bought the RAT 1 off EBay and I love it! Great lock up and feels wonderful in the hand for a "cheap" knife!

One of the best all around folders out there for EDC or outdoor tasks. More like $75 worth of knife for $25. All four carry positions for clip, too, that's rare.

RAT%201%20SP%20MED.jpg

Too bad about the bad blood 'tween Randall and Ontario that sort of ended development and variations of this line. It's strange that ESSE just pretty much quit on the folding line altogether, though see they now have a Izula folder.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

I am old school and about as non-tactical as they come. I also am too danged cheap to spend much more than about $25 to $30 on a pocket knife that I am likely to eventually lose, anyhow - and less than $25 is even better. In fact, based on the kinds of knives other guys were posting, I almost didn't respond to the thread but then figured I'd throw in my .02 worth.

I EDC a SAK (Tinker) because I like having the little screwdrivers, etc. close by. I switched from a SAK to a Gerber multi-tool for a while and liked it but switched back because I got tired of carrying the multitool on my belt - especially on the occasions when I carry a firearm in a belt holster.

I also usually carry a Kershaw Crown for when I just need a knife 'right quick' - it clips to my pocket and I can open it one-handed which saves me from digging for the SAK just to open a package, etc.

My all-around favorite, though (just for a knife), is probably a Sodbuster style. I carried a Case Sodbuster, Jr. for years and carried a full-sized Sodbuster for a while. The blade is strong, I like the shape and even the stainless ones hold a pretty decent edge.

Some years back, in my teens (before I lost my first Sodbuster, Jr.) some of my uncles (dad's brothers) were at my maternal grandfather's house (they lived close and he had an old swing set frame he used to hang deer from behind his house which made processing easier so they sometimes brought deer they killed to his house) getting ready to process a deer. Since they had been hunting, they all had their belt knives with them. Problem was, all of their big 'hunting knives' proved too dull to do much. I finally pulled out my little Sodbuster, Jr., which I kept sharp (I was a teenager living in a rural area with no one my age around - sharpening my knives was one of my major past times back then) and asked if they wanted to try it. They all looked askance but apparently decided to humor me - and ended up skinning and mostly processing the deer with my pocket knife because it would actually cut. I remember my grandfather laughing and saying, "All these big blades y'all are totin' around and you've got to cut that deer up with his little pocket knife?!"

I plan on eventually getting one of the Sodbusters that Case still makes from carbon steel (even though they only come in the yellow handle.) In fact, if Case would make a lock blade version of their Sodbuster (preferably with a carbon steel blade but that wouldn't be a deal breaker), thumbstud and pocket clip then I'd replace the Crown with a quickness.

I also sometimes like carrying the Schrade Old Timers that have three blades. Well, the ones that had decent steel, anyhow - on the last Schrade I bought (not an Old Timer), the steel was junk. Sad.

Edited by JAB

As far as budget goes, my current favorite folder is the Ontario Rat 1. They are around 30-35 shipped, come in lots of colors and plain or serrated. I carried one for months and converted several people to them before I got my XM18. Highly recommend it.

• Like 1
Guest Grout

I also sometimes like carrying the Schrade Old Timers that have three blades. Well, the ones that had decent steel, anyhow - on the last Schrade I bought (not an Old Timer), the steel was junk. Sad.

If you want a Schrade or Old Timer with decent steel you are going to have to look on the used market for one made in the USA.Taylor Brands bought Schrade and moved production to Asia,they ain't what they used to be

I love love love my Kershaw Blur.

I carry a plain edge drop point of the sandvik steel variety.

It's easy to keep a hair shaving edge on it and can be had for under 60.

It's an assisted opener that when you get accustom to, is faster than most autos (it has no safety on it too!)

My wife says I'm a knife snob. I'm very picky about what I'll carry because I use my knife for everything - but brand doesn't matter at all. My requirements are simpler than that: It's got to be well made of quality materials, be sharp and stay sharp, have a good stout clip and I just flat refuse to pay more than $30 for it. Believe it or not, this excludes a lot of knives. I prefer it to be reasonably discreet for its size, but that's not really important enough to fit into my "qualifications".

For my EDC I bought a Kershaw Compound at the recommendation of some folks on this board. I had to take the clip off and put some LockTite on the threads because it kept working loose, but once that was done I carried it every day. It was a good solid knife that I used for everything from emergency cuticle trimmings to breaking down boxes. At the company bar-b-que I even used it to fashion a hotdog fork and spatula from two sticks and a beer can when everyone realized we didn't have grilling tools. Even after shredding a beer can it was as sharp as the day I bought it. Great knife at a great price (less than $20 on Woot! one day.) I lost the thing two weeks ago. One day it was on my nightstand with the rest of my pocket dump stuff, the next it wasn't. I don't know if it wormed its way out of my pocket somewhere or if my wife wandered off with it to use for some chore but it's gone. I fully plan to buy another when I can find one (non-serrated) for under $20 again. I'll probably buy 3 so this doesn't happen again.

Since my Compound's vanishied I'm back to carrying my old faithful CKRT Kasper. Like the Kershaw I had to put LockTite on the threads for the pocket clip. I don't like that the pocket clip cant' be switched for tip-up carry like the Compound but it's a good reliable knife that does everything the Compound does without the assisted open. The blade is much thicker and fatter than the Compound so it looks more intimidating in my pocket and especially in my hand - so it doesn't meet my "discrete" semi-qualification at all. A co-worker even complained to HR on me for having it, calling it a "hunting knife" when I used it to open a package.