Best edc folder?

...For my EDC I bought a Kershaw Compound ... I fully plan to buy another when I can find one (non-serrated) for under $20 again. I'll probably buy 3 so this doesn't happen again.

$22 including shipping is pretty close:

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Compound-Folding-Lock-Knife/dp/B004SGXARW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1340902153&sr=1-1&keywords=kershaw+compound

Agree about serrated knives in general. What's strange marketing wise is that companies keep making a serrated option for some model, then a year or two later those always glut the market and are cheaper than plain edge, because they simply didn't sell.

- OS

• Like 1

One of the best all around folders out there for EDC or outdoor tasks. More like $75 worth of knife for $25. All four carry positions for clip, too, that's rare.

RAT%201%20SP%20MED.jpg

Too bad about the bad blood 'tween Randall and Ontario that sort of ended development and variations of this line. It's strange that ESSE just pretty much quit on the folding line altogether, though see they now have a Izula folder.

- OS

On your general "praise" I just bought the serrated version of this knife on Ebay. Should have it by Tuesday. Then I'll abuse it at work like I do all my knives and report back. Most knives don't last more than a month or two for me so I tend to use the cheaper knives for that reason. I got tired of replacing my Spyderco Endura and others at $80 to $100 a pop every few months or so.

On your general "praise" I just bought the serrated version of this knife on Ebay. Should have it by Tuesday. Then I'll abuse it at work like I do all my knives and report back. Most knives don't last more than a month or two for me so I tend to use the cheaper knives for that reason. I got tired of replacing my Spyderco Endura and others at $80 to $100 a pop every few months or so.

Though I don't dig serrated versions, there's no doubt they provide tremendous sawing/ripping power through some materials for those who need that regularly.

I'd be very surprised if you don't find this puppy a real pleasure to use.

Btw, with just very little practice, even with pivot adjusted so there's zero horiz play, it will open with a flip of the thumb about as quickly as an assisted opener, just put thumbnail on stud like you were shooting a marble, maybe add a tad of wrist movement depending on technique.

- OS

I don't think you are going to be disappointed. I bought the same knife 3 weeks ago with the Coyote Brown Scales, off EBAY for $22 plus shipping, which brought it to $27. Before that I carried a Kershaw Clash, which I loved. The Rat 1 has been in my pocket ever since. I do wish I had bought a plain edge though, but the serrations haven't bothered me at all. I'm a huge fan of the RAT 1 now! Best liner lock I have ever owned!

Though I don't dig serrated versions, there's no doubt they provide tremendous sawing/ripping power through some materials for those who need that regularly.

Btw, with just very little practice, even with pivot adjusted so there's zero horiz play, it will open with a flip of the thumb about as quickly as an assisted opener, just put thumbnail on stud like you were shooting a marble, maybe add a tad of wrist movement depending on technique.

- OS

- OS

I need the serations to cut plastic tie wraps on crates along with rope, canvas, rubber and tons of other crap.....I'll fiddle with it when I get it and get it working right.

I don't think you are going to be disappointed. I bought the same knife 3 weeks ago with the Coyote Brown Scales, off EBAY for $22 plus shipping, which brought it to $27. Before that I carried a Kershaw Clash, which I loved. The Rat 1 has been in my pocket ever since. I do wish I had bought a plain edge though, but the serrations haven't bothered me at all. I'm a huge fan of the RAT 1 now! Best liner lock I have ever owned!

Well, seems for the price point you ought to just get another one. If I really like it, I'll more than likely buy a few more for future use seeing as how any knife usually doesn't last to long in my hands. :rofl:

I might, but right now, I'm trying to decided between a CRKT Minimalist, a Boker Plus Rambler and a Boker Gnome. The Minimalist is in the lead at the moment, but I like the looks of the Bokers.

Wow, haven't seen that Rambler, that looks really nice indeed. Gnome doesn't grab me, 'cause I don't think I could grab it!

I got a Boker Mosier a good while ago, intended it to be my forever necker (like several others I tried) and it almost was, but it's just too heavy overall, just never could quite get used to it.. Damn shame. But such a nice knife I haven't been able to let go of it yet (like about 100 others). :)

02BO280%5Blarge%5D.jpg

The Boker Pocket Bowie is really nice too:

pb1l.jpg

But I found it also just a bit too small.

Did I mention I've tried a bunch of neck knives? :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Sweet Zeus that's a nice knife. Nice enough to make me consider carrying a fixed blade.

The sculpted micarta grip is marvelous, allows full grip with wonderful feel. Blade is beveled all over the place, very unusual, Sanvik takes amazing edge.

Not a good one to pound on from the top to baton though, it's beveled there too.

Here's a video shows it all:

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I don't know about "best", but these two seem to be working really well for me right now.

6831495947_dc40b2dac3_z.jpg

Skyline is helluva knife. Simple but sleek and elegant design, light, functional, good Sandvik. Kershaw really got it all right with this one.

- OS

I need the serations to cut plastic tie wraps on crates along with rope, canvas, rubber and tons of other crap.....I'll fiddle with it when I get it and get it working right.

You need a nice utility knife as well as a good folder :)

That ####'s rough on a blade! if you're gonna use a blade on them, make it disposable ;)

Guest bkelm18

I used a S&W serrated pocket knife to cut through braided electrical cabeling many times. Serrations never dulled much. It was a cheap knife so I didn't care to destroy it if I had to.

I

...That ####'s rough on a blade! if you're gonna use a blade on them, make it disposable ;)

I used a S&W serrated pocket knife to cut through braided electrical cabeling many times. Serrations never dulled much. It was a cheap knife so I didn't care to destroy it if I had to.

I'd say the Rat 1 will stand up to it all just fine. As long as you have a stone or rod that will fit in the serration grooves to resharpen that part. It appears to have fairly large distinct serrations, none of those pesky "micro in-between" ones like Cold Steel uses. The un-grooved side of the serrated area can just be touched up with regular sharpener as you do rest of non-serrated blade area.

AUS8 is pretty good choice in stainless for brutal work as edge will generally dull by micro fold over that can be easily re-sharpened, but isn't overly prone to chipping, which is a bit of an Achilles heel of some higher end stainless steels if used for down and dirty stuff. 'Course, ya shouldn't do any lateral prying, especially with any kind of stainless, which is gonna be more brittle than tool steels.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

You need a nice utility knife as well as a good folder :)

That ####'s rough on a blade! if you're gonna use a blade on them, make it disposable ;)

I've tried many things over the years for work, razor knives, utility knives even small limb saw knives for work. Simply put, many don't hold up for more than a month and changing blades wastes my time because I have to do it so often along with getting the replacements when I run out. So....I have found that I run into cheap knives super duper often and it's just as easy to buy one when I need one. Keep in mind, that's only my work knives as I have others for my "civilian" life....

I carry a SOG Flash II with the Tanto blade. It has a spring assist feature which means I can open it easily with one hand. The blade has two edges which are flat. That makes it easier to get it razor sharp. The best knife is the one in your hand when you need it.

SOG00398.jpg

I might, but right now, I'm trying to decided between a CRKT Minimalist, a Boker Plus Rambler and a Boker Gnome. The Minimalist is in the lead at the moment, but I like the looks of the Bokers.

Wow, that Ramber is nice.

I thought hard about a 'Minimalist'. I was going back and forth between that or a Cold Steel Mini-Tac. I decided to take a little trip to Smoky Mountain Knife Works in the hopes that I could find an example of each to handle. Luckily, not only did they have both there but they were both in more or less the same case (it was a corner case so the CRKT was around the corner from the Cold Steel but the same guy was working the whole counter) so I was able to do a true side by side comparison. The Minimalist seemed really nice but I just didn't feel like my mitts could get a good grip on it. After having a second back and forth between the Mini-Tac Skinner and the Mini-Tac Beavertail, I went with the Mini-Tac Skinner and really like it. I may still end up with a Beavertail one of these days, too.

The funny thing is that I also picked up a Myerco Necklance just because it was cheap (under $10 and I'm thinking closer to $5.) Turns out I like the cheapo Necklance better for EDC than the slightly heavier/more bulky Mini-Tac. I do carry the Mini-Tac on the weekends but I carry the Necklance through the week. That said, as I am in positions to need a knife on the weekends more than through the week the Cold Steel has probably seen a bit more actual use. I wouldn't say that either truly gets abused and both have held up very well, so far.

Edited by JAB

... I went with the Mini-Tac Skinner and really like it. I may still end up with a Beavertail one of these days, too.

Maybe check out the Mini-Tac Kiridashi too. Though the Skinner is perhaps better all around utility blade and pretty formidable as defense, the Kiridashi is my backup second choice for defensive necker these days.

... a Myerco Necklance ..

Be aware, in both the double edge and single edge Meyerco Necklances, the blade is not embedded in handle very far. Probably not a concern for anything but really hard use. Or, gulp, bone. ;)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Hey OS, what do you think about the CS Spike Tanto and the Boker Plus Besh-Wedge? I own the Spike, but I usually leave it in the car, due to the length. It's 8" long but very narrow. It's really a stiletto in the traditional sense, a skinny sharp pointed fixed blade. I'd the spike for a number of years. I've also seen the youtube vid of the fat guy cutting the manilla rope with one. It just seems awful long to be a hideout weapon.

Hey OS, what do you think about the CS Spike Tanto and the Boker Plus Besh-Wedge? I own the Spike, but I usually leave it in the car, due to the length. It's 8" long but very narrow. It's really a stiletto in the traditional sense, a skinny sharp pointed fixed blade. I'd the spike for a number of years. I've also seen the youtube vid of the fat guy cutting the manilla rope with one. It just seems awful long to be a hideout weapon.

Besh wedge design itself is total junk, marketing hype. You can barely cut butter with them or stab though cardboard with effort. All just to claim a strong tip. Believe me, you'll be quite disappointed.

I've held the various Spikes but they don't fit my hand worth a hoot, too narrow, really haven't had much interest, and I'm rather a CS fan. I'm sure they're lethal enough if placed correctly, but seems pretty limited overall use.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Well, my RAT model 1 arrived. I do have to say that the fit and finish and feel of the knife is really awsome. Damn surprised I like it this much...so much in fact, I'm gona get a couple more for future. This knife is really a hidden gem. Glad OhShoot and others in this thread posted about them. Definatly gona check out a few other of the folders mentioned on here. Not a huge knife guy but I've never gone a day from the age of 12 without one.

100_4508.jpg

You might try one of the non-serrated ones too; amazing what a conventional well honed blade will slice through. And easier to resharpen.

- OS

Actually, I plan on looking at a few different models. Remember, I have my work knives and my "carry" knives.....I personally enjoy carrying a fine piece of cutlery around that's not seen the life of ripping, tearing, prying, slashing, stabbing or that has ever been used to "chip" with....that's just how I roll.