Best edc folder?

Well, my RAT model 1 arrived. I do have to say that the fit and finish and feel of the knife is really awsome. Damn surprised I like it this much...so much in fact, I'm gona get a couple more for future. This knife is really a hidden gem. Glad OhShoot and others in this thread posted about them. Definatly gona check out a few other of the folders mentioned on here. Not a huge knife guy but I've never gone a day from the age of 12 without one.

100_4508.jpg

Get the Satin finish, next time. I truely love mine! I need to see what other colors the scales come in, besides coyote and black!

Maybe check out the Mini-Tac Kiridashi too. Though the Skinner is perhaps better all around utility blade and pretty formidable as defense, the Kiridashi is my backup second choice for defensive necker these days.

Hmmm...that does look like a 'mean' little fellah. I have to admit that the reason I went with the skinner version is that the blade style closely resembles that of the old Schrade Sharpfinger - one of my favorite fixed blade designs.

Be aware, in both the double edge and single edge Meyerco Necklances, the blade is not embedded in handle very far. Probably not a concern for anything but really hard use. Or, gulp, bone. ;)

- OS

Yeah, the Myerco certainly doesn't feel as 'substantial' as the Mini-Tac. I like that it is lighter, less obtrusive and I can still get a pretty decent grip on the handle. I've got the single-edged version.

If I'm ever called upon to use a knife for SD then I'm already in trouble. That said, when I am carrying the Myerco instead of the Mini Tac I am usually also carrying a Kershaw Crown (in addition to my SAK.) I'd be more likely to grab the Crown than the Myerco for defensive use if I could get to it.

Get the Satin finish, next time. I truely love mine! I need to see what other colors the scales come in, besides coyote and black!

I prefer the black blade myself. But they come in coyote, black, od, tan, and grey.

You might try one of the non-serrated ones too; amazing what a conventional well honed blade will slice through. And easier to resharpen.

- OS

That's how I feel. I don't care for serrations due to the pain in the ass sharpening and a proper edge on a plain blade will cut through anything the serrations tear through anyway.

Oh, I'm not a fan of serrations either. I just bought this one on a whim. But so far, it's been a keeper, even with the serrations!!! At some point I will probably go ahead and pick up another one with a plain blade. It will be the satin finish. I don't much care for coated blades. I find they tend to slow the blade down. I've got a Condor Kumunga, that is fixing to get stripped and a CS Trailhawk that has been stripped.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest MidTNGlock

I've been carrying a Benchmade 550HG Griptilian during summer months and a 710 during fall and winter when my pockets aren't soaked in sweat.

There's a few others in my small collection but the two BM's I mentioned suit my needs best.

I'd like to try an Endura for EDC and perhaps a 710 with M390 blade for summer carry.

I have bought a lot of different folders and like a lot of them. However, I don't even remember how many years ago I got my Kershaw Blur (tanto) and it is still going strong.

I used to keep a SOG Trident in my truck for even better access (in between the seat cushions) and for the added benefit of a seat belt cutter when you locked the blade. I would still be carrying it in the truck if I didn't go to a school on federal land where guns AND weapons are prohibited (still haven't bee able to find someone who can tell me just exactly what the "weapons" includes but I don't want to risk federal court at this point).

I have bought a lot of different folders and like a lot of them. However, I don't even remember how many years ago I got my Kershaw Blur (tanto) and it is still going strong.

I used to keep a SOG Trident in my truck for even better access (in between the seat cushions) and for the added benefit of a seat belt cutter when you locked the blade. I would still be carrying it in the truck if I didn't go to a school on federal land where guns AND weapons are prohibited (still haven't bee able to find someone who can tell me just exactly what the "weapons" includes but I don't want to risk federal court at this point).

"dangerous weapons" defined in federal buildings statute,

18 U.S.C. § 930 : US Code - Section 930: Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

No firearms or "other dangerous weapons".

"The term "dangerous weapon" means a weapon, device,

instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is

used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious

bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket

knife with a blade of less than 2 1/2 inches in length."

Obviously most anything you can inflict more than a shiner on someone with can be classed "dangerous". Watch out for that dang tire iron ya got with you? A 2.5" knife or more is specifically mentioned, so that's pretty well defined to your detriment should push come to shove.

Of course by TN law, ANY knife in any school is technically verboten, don't know if that also applies as additional potential gotcha in a school within federal facility in TN or not.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Of course by TN law, ANY knife in any school is technically verboten, don't know if that also applies as additional potential gotcha in a school within federal facility in TN or not.

- OS

Hmmm... must keep that in mind at athletic events.

Hmmm... must keep that in mind at athletic events.

Yep, to letter of law, Knox city/country could make a fortune in court costs from a single Neyland Stadium Saturday.

Since searching you on way in hasn't presented any constitutional probs, no reason they couldn't do a more thorough one, I guess. Big public relations hit, though.

- OS

Thanks for the info. Yeah. I guess my blur would be out. I guess the "any" school rules wouldn't apply to private universities. If they did, no one seemed to care at my undergrad. Whole different ballgame now though. Howevever, to muddy the water some more...would lethermans be classed as a dangerous weapon? I can see an attorney having a field day with the "unneccessary switch-blade" like action of the spring assissted blur, but I think they would have a hard time making my leatherman tool out to be dangerous weapon (although I am sure they wouldn't mind trying).

Thanks for the info. Yeah. I guess my blur would be out. I guess the "any" school rules wouldn't apply to private universities....would lethermans be classed as a dangerous weapon?

TN school weapons statutes apply to ALL schools in TN, kindergarten through college, public or private, buildings and grounds and buses.

Of course a Leatherman could qualify as "dangerous weapon" under the fed if 2.5" blade or longer, and any size at all under TN statutes. It's a knife. It's other things, but it's also a knife.

None of this is to say you would be charged given any particular situation, federal or state. Just that you certainly could. Fairly clear cut actually, compared to some weapons laws.

To paraphrase Ayn Rand: "You control the people by making them all criminals in some way or other".

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 2 weeks later...

To paraphrase Ayn Rand: "You control the people by making them all criminals in some way or other".

- OS

This is a good great quote.

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."
Edited by jtluttrell