Enlighten Me: Why all the love for suppressors?

So I've been perusing some of the threads in this category, mainly the one where the dealer took the guy's suppressor out and used it. Terrible business practice, I totally agree, and just an all-around crappy thing to do. But I guess I must be missing something.

In all the threads about "cans" and "silencers" and whatnot, the one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around is "Why"? Given the trouble and expense, not to mention having to modify your barrel so that it will accept a suppressor, and the loss of muzzle velocity, what is the payoff? I've seen a couple of people mention "being neighborly" or reducing report to safe levels, but I couldn't fire any of my weapons where it would bother my neighbors without endangering lives and/or getting arrested. As for safe sound levels, it seems like a lot of money, time and energy to invest to solve a problem that could be overcome with an inexpensive pair of earmuffs.

I'm not trying to be condescending or flip, but I just really don't see the point. There must be at least one very good one, or so many people wouldn't be jumping through flaming hoops to have them. What am I missing?

I'm having trouble with my eyes. The pressure spikes from the muzzle blast makes my eyes go fuzzy. For me, noise reduction means nothing, but getting a 95% reduction in felt muzzle blast is worth twice what I will spend on one.

Also, in TN it is legal to hunt with one. Who wouldn't want to deer hunt with one? Especially for those of us who have access to hunt in places where, although legal, pose sensitive issues with the locals.

Paranoia trumps all. For those of us who suffer from delusions of future chaos, a suppressor is a massive tactical advantage.

Guest bkelm18

Because we can? :shrug: There's really not a whole lot more benefit to a short barrel AR but lots of people have them. Why spend $2000 on a handgun when a $400 handgun can do the same thing. It's just what people want to spend their money on.

So I've been perusing some of the threads in this category, mainly the one where the dealer took the guy's suppressor out and used it. Terrible business practice, I totally agree, and just an all-around crappy thing to do. But I guess I must be missing something.

In all the threads about "cans" and "silencers" and whatnot, the one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around is "Why"? Given the trouble and expense, not to mention having to modify your barrel so that it will accept a suppressor, and the loss of muzzle velocity, what is the payoff? I've seen a couple of people mention "being neighborly" or reducing report to safe levels, but I couldn't fire any of my weapons where it would bother my neighbors without endangering lives and/or getting arrested. As for safe sound levels, it seems like a lot of money, time and energy to invest to solve a problem that could be overcome with an inexpensive pair of earmuffs.

I'm not trying to be condescending or flip, but I just really don't see the point. There must be at least one very good one, or so many people wouldn't be jumping through flaming hoops to have them. What am I missing?

#1 I have big ears so most muffs are very uncomfortable for me.

#2 It would be wonderful to be able to shoot in my backyard for the occasional rat or skunk that is stirring up trouble.

#3 Contrary to popular opinion, most suppressors actually increase your velocity by a hair.

#4 They're just pretty darn cool

I'm having trouble with my eyes. The pressure spikes from the muzzle blast makes my eyes go fuzzy. For me, noise reduction means nothing, but getting a 95% reduction in felt muzzle blast is worth twice what I will spend on one.

Also, in TN it is legal to hunt with one. Who wouldn't want to deer hunt with one? Especially for those of us who have access to hunt in places where, although legal, pose sensitive issues with the locals.

Paranoia trumps all. For those of us who suffer from delusions of future chaos, a suppressor is a massive tactical advantage.

Ok, so your first point makes sense for you, but I would hazard a guess that very few people have the same issue. As far as hunting, yeah I can see that, but I don't hunt, so again, not for me. Thirdly, following your logic, what good is the suppressor if you if didn't spend that money on the guns and ammo? (Just playing Devil's Advocate, :devil: no offense intended.)

Because we can? :shrug: There's really not a whole lot more benefit to a short barrel AR but lots of people have them. Why spend $2000 on a handgun when a $400 handgun can do the same thing. It's just what people want to spend their money on.

Yeah, see this is more like what I suspected. I guess I'm just the guy that would rather get the $400 dollar gun and buy five of them instead of one $2000 gun. Or two $400's and spend the rest on ammo and supplies.

Ok, so your first point makes sense for you, but I would hazard a guess that very few people have the same issue. As far as hunting, yeah I can see that, but I don't hunt, so again, not for me. Thirdly, following your logic, what good is the suppressor if you if didn't spend that money on the guns and ammo? (Just playing Devil's Advocate, :devil: no offense intended.)

Yeah, see this is more like what I suspected. I guess I'm just the guy that would rather get the $400 dollar gun and buy five of them instead of one $2000 gun. Or two $400's and spend the rest on ammo and supplies.

Well, that's just the difference in people. It's the reason the market is saturated with everything it has.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by buying a suppressor and not spending the money on guns and ammo. What kind of gumby would buy a suppressor without first having the gun and ammo? If, instead you meant the appropriations of the funds you have available, then that makes sense. NFA items are not a game for everyone. You have to pay to play. If you can't afford it, you're in the wrong game.

As far as the (5) $400 guns, I've been down that road. I lived by that rule for many years. One day I looked at my collection and was shocked at how disgusted I was by mediocrity. I'd heap rather have ONE top shelf AR-15 with an extra BCG and small assortment of perishable parts like gas rings and cam pins, than TWENTY run of the mill AK's or some dime a dozen SKS. You absolutely DO get what you pay for. I'd have a rack full of Larue tactical if I could afford it. As it is, I built all my AR's using the best parts I could get my hands on. It hurt like hell to pay some of the prices I've paid. I have yet to lament one dime I have spent on top shelf kit.

I sold off around 20 rifles and a dozen handguns to fund what I have now which consists of less than quarter of what I had (quantity wise). Everything I have will work without fail. I can't say that for some of the low budget turds I used to own.

To each his own, bkelm18 is spot on, Because we can.

Edited by Caster

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by buying a suppressor and not spending the money on guns and ammo. What kind of gumby would buy a suppressor without first having the gun and ammo? If, instead you meant the appropriations of the funds you have available, then that makes sense.

Yes, I meant what you spend available funds on. My point was that the tactical advantage gained by using a suppressor is short-lived if your ammunition stockpile runs out. Again, the reasons being posted here are all quite valid in their own way. I guess just none of them resonate with me. (:toddles off back to waste time and money in the C&R forum: :waiting: )

Yes, I meant what you spend available funds on. My point was that the tactical advantage gained by using a suppressor is short-lived if your ammunition stockpile runs out. Again, the reasons being posted here are all quite valid in their own way. I guess just none of them resonate with me. (:toddles off back to waste time and money in the C&R forum: :waiting: )

Ahh, but the suppressor will help you save ammo. Not knowing where the shots are coming from, the zombies will be less likely to overrun your position allowing you the precious time to take careful aim. :tough:

Edited by Caster

Everyone I have ever let shoot with my suppressor has preferred to shoot with it than without it, ESPECIALLY beginners. Assuming you index them, most shooters shoot better with the can...less noise and less recoil = less flinch. Though they they are primarily designed to reduce noise, they reduce recoil much better than any muzzle brake I have ever used. I am thrilled I have one. I have 2 more on the way!

The absolute best benefit though is the smile on the face of the shooter when they hear how loud the metal target rings when they shoot with the can.

Edited by atlas3025
  • Like 2

How much skin does it take to get into this game? ballpark

I paid $225 for my YHM Mite (.22 can). It's the most fun Class3 item I have.

You know when/where I work. Let me know if you ever want to "fiddle" with it.

To the OP, of all the "extra government controlled stuff", I've never understood why silencers were on the list and I doubt anyone could lay out a logical reason why they are.

Buying one won't instantly turn you into an assassin and they're just plain fun.

Edited by TN-popo

$200 for the tax stamp plus the price of the suppressor.

Don't forget the transfer fees. Around $100 if I'm not mistaken.

So based on the prices I have seen online and such plus the associated fees and taxes we are talking $600-$1000. Sounds like a nice 1911 to me.

So once again we are back to "what you want to spend your money on".

Edited by CapnVideo

So once again we are back to "what you want to spend your money on".

I already have a nice 1911. I don't have a quiet one though.

Really it just boils down to having another fun item without much function. I only have a couple weapons that serve a function. A shotgun for recreation, pistol for carry and a rifle for in case I end up in a Kevin Costner movie. Everything else is fun stuff. If you ain't into it then you ain't into it. Some of us would have flame throwers if we could. Does that serve a practical purpose. If "awesome" was practical then yes. Otherwise just big kids having fun.

I already have a nice 1911. I don't have a quiet one though.

Really it just boils down to having another fun item without much function. I only have a couple weapons that serve a function. A shotgun for recreation, pistol for carry and a rifle for in case I end up in a Kevin Costner movie. Everything else is fun stuff. If you ain't into it then you ain't into it. Some of us would have flame throwers if we could. Does that serve a practical purpose. If "awesome" was practical then yes. Otherwise just big kids having fun.

Flamethrowers and technically legal...

I can think of just as many practical purposes for a suppressed AR than I can some antiquated over priced boat anchor like a 1911. :hiding:

Ohh yes I did!!! :crazy:

A surpressed 1911 would be most excellent. The power of a freight train with the sound of a .22.

I like it. :D

Flamethrowers and technically legal...

Really? I guess I never researched it, I just assumed Uncle Sam considered that illegal. Guess I'll be working on my foogas mixture this fall for the leaves.

I can think of just as many practical purposes for a suppressed AR than I can some antiquated over priced boat anchor like a 1911. :hiding:

Ohh yes I did!!! :crazy:

Blasphemy! May the 1911 Gods rain down herpes upon your plastic pistols!