Enlighten Me: Why all the love for suppressors?

Really? I guess I never researched it, I just assumed Uncle Sam considered that illegal. Guess I'll be working on my foogas mixture this fall for the leaves.

Yep last I heard. Can't remember the registration on one though if any. I would venture to guess destructive device though. According to the folks over at The High Road they aren't under any kind of federal law. Link for those who are interested: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-40100.html Edited by gjohnsoniv
Guest bkelm18

Yep last I heard. Can't remember the registration on one though if any. I would venture to guess destructive device though.

Nada. The fed doesn't regulate flame throwers.

Don't forget the transfer fees. Around $100 if I'm not mistaken.

in state transaction from a dealer

cost of suppressor + sales tax + $200 tax stamp=

out of state transaction from dealer to your dealer

cost of suppressor + shipping + $200 tax stamp + transfer fee=

My dealer charges me $35 for transfers, no matter the item

Less noise, less recoil, less muzzleblast. If you are hunting without ear protection it also means saving your ears

Thread drift...

KingArmory, can you tell me when these are available? It's been quite awhile.

http://s411814840.e-shop.info/shop/article_3/KA-1222B-brake_suppressor.html?sessid=wuFXVVNkrLRCuuvj8qwr2qwNXFWk9FKTLXt1rjuWClUxfEAXiJiDnYVkmQzatmYu&shop_param=cid%3D2%26aid%3D3%26

in state transaction from a dealer

cost of suppressor + sales tax + $200 tax stamp=

out of state transaction from dealer to your dealer

cost of suppressor + shipping + $200 tax stamp + transfer fee=

My dealer charges me $35 for transfers, no matter the item

+1

I can think of just as many practical purposes for a suppressed AR than I can some antiquated over priced boat anchor like a 1911. :hiding:

Ohh yes I did!!! :crazy:

I'd been developing a nice level of respect for you Caster; then you had to go and say something like that.

I'm reminded of a saying from my childhood: "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your underpants."

:taunt:

I'd been developing a nice level of respect for you Caster; then you had to go and say something like that.

I'm reminded of a saying from my childhood: "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your underpants."

:taunt:

Well...I can't have people thinking I'm a respectable fella.

• Like 1

I skimmed over everyone else's responses so if someone already mentioned what I am about to mention I am sorry.

I spent about 10 years wondering the same thing as you. And wondered if the expense was worth it. Then when I decided I wanted one I then had to contemplate whether I would be buying or building my own. In the end I built my own for a 22lr but to specs that exceed most centerfire suppressors. And the reason I built it so robust is you are more likely to sell your home than your NFA items.

And after I built it I took it out and when I pulled the trigger for the first time I couldn't believe why I had waited so long. I had the biggest smile on my face because it was so quiet. My can is literally quieter than most pellet guns when on my bolt gun. And is comparable to most pellets guns when on my semi autos.

There are plenty of reasons for the average person to own a suppressor.

They save your own hearing. I know earplugs are cheaper (in the begining) but they are also annoying and over the lifetime of a suppressor the suppressor is cheaper.

It makeshappy neighbors. You can shoot until your hearts content and they are none the wiser.

They increase velocity but they also increase accuracy as well.

The suppressor tames the harmonics that EVERY gun has.

It makes teaching people about firearms easier as well. Most new shooters are intimidated by the noise and blast and a suppressor eliminates both.

Then there is the benefit when hunting. Although I do not hunt, hearing protection is not needed when hunting with a suppressor. And if you are using subsonic ammo you can take multiple shots with the animal none the wiser.

There are very few things related to shooting in which a suppressor will not make it better.

As far as the expense of modifying you gun that is no longer the case. Nearly every popular gun can be had with a threaded barrel for little or no extra cost. AR's come threaded unless you order one without it. 10/22's can be had with threaded barrels or you can buy a threaded match barrel for under $110. Ruger makes nearly all models of their 22 pistols available with threaded barrels. There are literally dozens of 22 pistols that are threaded from the factory. And there are quite a few 308 caliber rifles that are threaded, semi autos and bolt guns alike.

As far as the cost goes the suppressor itself can be had for very cheap. Whether you buy or build the cost is relatively low considering how much most of us spend on the hobby. I built my own for $60 and that was using high end alloys. You could build a suppressor just as effective as mine for less than $20 but it will require a little more maintenance. Or you could buy a budget suppressor for not much more. There are .22 suppressors that are $125 and FA rated 223 suppressor for $429.

And if you are ever in Knoxville PM me. I will gladly meet you and show you what it is all about. There is nothing more satisfying than "ringing" a piece of steel at 100 yards and have it be louder than the shot itself.

Dolomite

So based on the prices I have seen online and such plus the associated fees and taxes we are talking $600-$1000. Sounds like a nice 1911 to me.

So once again we are back to "what you want to spend your money on".

...Just fyi....my .22 suppressor was $198 and the atf stamp was $200...from a local gun shop. a little cheaper but those prices are better suited for the 9mm and up
Guest colombianito1021

Because it puts a smile on my face and everyone around me.

I have a .22, 9 and 762 can. What ranges do you frequent? I take them out all the time.

• Admin Team

Shooting earsafe is fun. Suppressors make shooting more fun than it already is.

Be careful, though. As many here can attest, once you buy your first suppressor, it will influence every firearm decision you make from that point forward.

Guest kingarmory

Thread drift...

KingArmory, can you tell me when these are available? It's been quite awhile.

http://s411814840.e-...am=cid=2&aid=3

Working on KA-0450's and KA-CD01's right now, then we gotta do KA-1212's and KA-1212BR's, then KA-1230's and those. Trying to get caught up around here, just with the economy still hurting we're not doing as many production runs as normal (its easy to tie up a LOT of $$$ in inventory). Hoping to have all parts inventory caught up before Christmas so we can have a "GTFO Obama" sale in January ;)

I paid $225 for my YHM Mite (.22 can). It's the most fun Class3 item I have.

You know when/where I work. Let me know if you ever want to "fiddle" with it.

To the OP, of all the "extra government controlled stuff", I've never understood why silencers were on the list and I doubt anyone could lay out a logical reason why they are.

Buying one won't instantly turn you into an assassin and they're just plain fun.

I don't know about that whole assassin thing. When I toss my Osprey on a 1911 all I can seem to do is headshots :-)

They are fun, I wanted one...well...now two, perhaps 3...

I have several handguns with threaded barrels...why not

Yeah, as for price, not saying it isn't a lot of money to some people, but I got a K-baffle style 9mm can for $250 from LRP, then the stamp. Whole deal for $450 is tough to beat! I did later add a booster for a $100...but you can do without a booster.

I run it on 9mm pistols, 300 Blackout, and 22 LR's all the time.

I will be getting A LWRC M6A2 UCIW as my next rifle. It has an 8 inch barrel and will be chambered in 6.8 I want to add a can to it as well. Do any of you know if there is a Reliable company that make a can for a 8 inch barrel 6.8?

Working on KA-0450's and KA-CD01's right now, then we gotta do KA-1212's and KA-1212BR's, then KA-1230's and those. Trying to get caught up around here, just with the economy still hurting we're not doing as many production runs as normal (its easy to tie up a LOT of $$$ in inventory). Hoping to have all parts inventory caught up before Christmas so we can have a "GTFO Obama" sale in January ;)

LOL, frustrating, since I've been waiting over 2 years for one. AFAIK, yours is the only decent flash hider/comp combo that I've seen for the Tantal.

Anyway, thank you for the update.

Guest Lester Weevils

As far as the cost goes the suppressor itself can be had for very cheap. Whether you buy or build the cost is relatively low considering how much most of us spend on the hobby. I built my own for $60 and that was using high end alloys. You could build a suppressor just as effective as mine for less than $20 but it will require a little more maintenance. Or you could buy a budget suppressor for not much more. There are .22 suppressors that are $125 and FA rated 223 suppressor for $429.

Hi Dolomite

I recall reading a little about you making your supressor, but did you ever do a thread with pictures and construction details? A shame if you built the thang and didn't at least take a few souvenir pitchers of the parts half-machined on the lathe and such.

Can fool myself and think maybe I could make one that would actually work. The main details would be a bunch of practice work getting better at making inside threads, or maybe that's what they make taps for. :)

I didn't take any pictures while I was making it. But there is pleny of info as well as diagrams and videos online. As a matter of fact that is where I got my information and the motivation to do it myself.

The hardest part for me was the wait for my Form 1 to come back. Then the next hurdle was learning to cut inside threads. After that outside threads. The baffles themselves are not all that hard to machine. Just follow a diagram and build it similar to it. None of my baffles are the same. They are different lengths because of differences in how they came out in the end.

I duplicated these except mine do not have the "mouse hole" in the bell of the baffle.

http://www.silencerr....com/tac_67.htm

To silence a 22 isn't tht hard. The last time I cleaned my can I decided to try shooting it without the baffles. It was louder but not ringing loud on a pistol. Then I added baffles back and fired until it was not getting quieter. Turns out I do not need all the baffles I have because three were just as quiet as all of them that are in the can. I think volume has just as much to do with how a can performs as the baffle design.

Here is another simple can design:

http://www.silencerr..._custom_can.htm

One could use freeze plugs to duplicate this can. The key would be finding freeze plugs that would fit snugly inside of the tube.

Silencer research is an amazing site once you pay for membership. He has tested every silencer made in probably the last 10 years. And all the tests are on the same, level playing field. All his data is easily searched and categorized based on about a dozen different criteria. The membership, which is $30, is worth it to keep you from buying a crap suppressor. NFA items are lifelong purchases and $30 is nothing for something you will keep from the rest of your life.

And between silencer research, which I paid for a membership, and http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/ I was able to get all the information I needed to build my own.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I've seen a couple of people mention "being neighborly" or reducing report to safe levels, but I couldn't fire any of my weapons where it would bother my neighbors without endangering lives and/or getting arrested.

Just because that doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it doesn't apply to anyone else.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks for the good links, Dolomite. Those pictured baffle innards don't look like what I'd have expected, Interesting. Also good to know that I'm not the lone ranger regarding the issue of threading, though it sounds like you got it done fine. :)

Guest crotalus01

You ask why, I ask why not?

They are fun, they have a function and purpose if you need them to (hearing safe shooting, etc etc), they look cool. People always want to shoot mine when I have it out.

As far as price, I spent $595 for a YHM Mite and a Walther P-22 combo at a gun show, and another $350 on a CAC-9mm for my MG - yes that includes tax stamp and transfer fees. I got really lucky....

BTW, at that same gunshow a LOT of LEOs were buying up suppressors, they said they were great for clearing Meth labs as there is 0 muzzle flash that could ignite any of the crap in there.