Enlighten Me: Why all the love for suppressors?

Just because that doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it doesn't apply to anyone else.

That was the point. In following posts, I acknowledged that there are reasons which, while not valid for me, ARE valid for others. I'm not against suppressors in any fundamental sense, I'm just trying to understand why people seem to be so fond of them. Part of the process of trying to understand involves a bit of playing Devil's Advocate. Maybe along the way I'll find a reason that works for me. So far, I just haven't found a compelling argument that works for me personally.

That was the point. In following posts, I acknowledged that there are reasons which, while not valid for me, ARE valid for others. I'm not against suppressors in any fundamental sense, I'm just trying to understand why people seem to be so fond of them. Part of the process of trying to understand involves a bit of playing Devil's Advocate. Maybe along the way I'll find a reason that works for me. So far, I just haven't found a compelling argument that works for me personally.

I understand what you're saying. I'm on a couple of acres. I have neighbors, not close, but close enough to hear gunshots. A suppressor to me is the difference between being able to shoot whenever I want to and potentially being a bad neighbor.

Plus, it's really cool to hear the lack of sound from a subsonic 22lr coming out of a suppressed bolt action rifle. :)

I understand what you're saying. I'm on a couple of acres. I have neighbors, not close, but close enough to hear gunshots. A suppressor to me is the difference between being able to shoot whenever I want to and potentially being a bad neighbor.

Plus, it's really cool to hear the lack of sound from a subsonic 22lr coming out of a suppressed bolt action rifle. :)

Now I wonder where you heard, or didn't hear, that at? LOL

For anyone watching videos about suppressors, they do not translate well. For some reason they always sound louder on film than in person. I think it has something to do with the fact certain sound frequencies are not able to be heard by humans but the camera's electronic microphone does hear them. Then it translates into a frequency that humans do hear.

Dolomite

+1

I don't even have that much land, but in the same situation.

Guest crotalus01

Understand completely as I feel exactly the same way about SBRs....

Edited by crotalus01
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why all the love? Many reasons but I'll propose one you haven't heard yet but I'm willing to bet has been told to someone's honey before their suppressor purchas

Imagine what would happen to the value of current suppressors if a law regulating suppressors, similar to the 1986 law about machineguns, was passed. $5000 (I'm guessing) for a Mac10 MSG? Im guessing that after a decade the staring price for getting into a suppressor would be the same. Sounds crazy, but who wouldn't go back in time to the early 80's and buy as many MG's as possible?

I have never thought much about suppressors but the other night an old friend of mine came over with an integrally suppressed 22lr and we sat in the back yard plinking and my dogs didn't even get up and go in the house. Two of these dogs even see a guns they are running for cover. We weren't even shooting subsonic ammo. It was a blast and didn't even bother the neighbors(1/4 mile down rd.)

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Hey jt we were working on one of our contractors personal house the other day. When he came in that afternoon we were talking and cleaning uo for the day. He said for me come and look at something, he know I'm a gun person. He pulled out one of those, first time I'd seen one, man did I want to take that thing home. We shot it a few times, sweeeeeeet.

Guest colombianito1021

I'm planning a trip to LBL soon and will be taking suppressed .22LR, 9mm, .223 and 300 AAC Blackout...anyone is welcome to meet there and see what all the fuss is about.

• 4 weeks later...

Why the love for suppressors?

The reduction of muzzleflash and recoil for starters.

I can't think of any reason sound reduction would be unfavorable with a firearm.

Chicks dig it.

Hunting with a suppressor is legal in Tennessee.

Chicks dig it.

It is legal.

Chicks..... well you know.

Plus it is a great conversation starter at the range, it offers a chance to expell negative stereotypes the media has engrained into public opinion about NFA weapons and they are just fun to shoot.

SU1BRzA5NzYuanBn.jpg

Edited by LA_357SIG
  • 2 months later...
I know that this has been ask b-4 , but I have wanted to get a suppressor for a very long time. If I had started the paper work then I know that I would have it by now.
My question is what is the best suppressor for a auto 22 and can I use it on a 556
What is the avg wait time to get your stamp back
I would like to get off as cheep as I can ,but I don't want to but junk and have to wait that long again
I read that the stamp is $200 but what is the tranfer fee
Thanks
[quote name='rab' timestamp='1353029383' post='846275']
I know that this has been ask b-4 , but I have wanted to get a suppressor for a very long time. If I had started the paper work then I know that I would have it by now.
My question is what is the best suppressor for a auto 22 and can I use it on a 556
I would like to get off as cheep as I can ,but I don't want to but junk and have to wait that long again
Thanks
[/quote]

I'm currently waiting on a Silencerco Sparrow for my .22's and it is full auto rated since it's stainless steel. However, it cannot be used on a 5.56. I've heard of people using 5.56 rated cans on .22s but I think they are a little bulky for most .22s. Don't go cheap. A good quailty suppressor will be well worth the investment. The transfer fee only comes into play when you buy it somewhere else other than the gun store you're picking it up at and can vary from place to place. Average wait time I think is around 6-8 months. Edited by gnmwilliams
[quote name='gnmwilliams' timestamp='1353078460' post='846527']
I'm currently waiting on a Silencerco Sparrow for my .22's and it is full auto rated since it's stainless steel. However, it cannot be used on a 5.56. I've heard of people using 5.56 rated cans on .22s but I think they are a little bulky for most .22s. Don't go cheap. A good quailty suppressor will be well worth the investment. The transfer fee only comes into play when you buy it somewhere else other than the gun store you're picking it up at and can vary from place to place. Average wait time I think is around 6-8 months.
[/quote]

Thanks alot,I check out some infor on the sparrow. They were testing it with a P-22 and a 10-22 .I have both so this could be the way to go , said that it was the most easest one on the market to clean. The msrp was $499 ,is that the prices at the gun stores, also so that you could shot 22 mag, have one but not threaded
Again Thanks
How long have you been waiting if you don't mine
[quote name='rab' timestamp='1353106647' post='846860']

Thanks alot,I check out some infor on the sparrow. They were testing it with a P-22 and a 10-22 .I have both so this could be the way to go , said that it was the most easest one on the market to clean. The msrp was $499 ,is that the prices at the gun stores, also so that you could shot 22 mag, have one but not threaded
Again Thanks
[/quote]

I got mine for $430 at my local gun store and yes I also chose it because it's so easy to clean. I'm sure you could get your .22 mag threaded pretty easily by a gunsmith. I'm getting my Savage BTVS threaded for around $90. My check was cashed two days after mailing it on Oct. 31st but I'm gonna wait about a month to call and check to see if its pending.
[quote name='rab' timestamp='1353106647' post='846860']
Again Thanks
[/quote]

Got my Sparrow for $399. Still waiting on the paperwork but got it through Mike at TN Law Enforcement Sales. He is a member and vendor here and a nice guy to boot.
[quote name='Major Kong' timestamp='1353632157' post='849581']
Got my Sparrow for $399. Still waiting on the paperwork but got it through Mike at TN Law Enforcement Sales. He is a member and vendor here and a nice guy to boot.
[/quote]

Thanks Major, I was on the phone the other day with Law Enforcement Sales about threading my 15-22 and a bolt gunRemington 541.The prices are right , have you had them do any work for you or know how they are? He said that he could do both the same day while I did some shopping in Knoxville. Its about 150 miles away, But I am retired so time is on my side I pray.
[quote name='rab' timestamp='1353692367' post='849815']
Thanks Major, I was on the phone the other day with Law Enforcement Sales about threading my 15-22 and a bolt gunRemington 541.The prices are right , have you had them do any work for you or know how they are? He said that he could do both the same day while I did some shopping in Knoxville. Its about 150 miles away, But I am retired so time is on my side I pray.
[/quote]

I don't know anything about Mike's threading work but I've been to his place and spent some time talking with him. Seems like a good guy who knows what he's talking about. Sorry I can't give any more specific help.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest gunsandmore
My first suppressor was a 22lr ( tac65 )
I taught my son how to shoot with it and a P22. report was like a pellet gun so we could go over rules,safety issues and issue commands he could easily hear.
[quote name='rab' timestamp='1353029383' post='846275']
Thanks
[/quote]

The transfer (assuming you mean how much a dealer charges) fee depends on where you buy the gun. There is one dealer near me that makes you buy the item directly from the manufacturer then he, the dealer, charges a $100 transfer fee. There is a different dealer that charges no transfer fee if you buy the item from him, or a $100 transfer fee if you buy the item elsewhere and have it transferred to him. There is another dealer who charges less (but I don't know exactly how much) but he is difficult to get to give you your stuff once it gets there.