Lock or delete mistakes?

Guest canynracer

Guest canynracer

Is there a way for us to lock, or delete a thread if we find that we screwed up?

or, maybe put some sort of flag on it so the mods can clearly see that we would like to delete it...

Yes, we can IM a mod, but we dont know when they are on, or when they will be online to see it...

dunno, just a thought...

Here is an example thread: http://tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7659

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

We won't be adding this feature to other areas of the forum as it would invariably lead to utter chaos anytime someone puts their foot in their mouth or disagrees with the replies being posted to "their" thread and decides to moderate the evidence out of existence.

Sorry guys.

Guest canynracer
We won't be adding this feature to other areas of the forum as it would invariably lead to utter chaos anytime someone puts their foot in their mouth or disagrees with the replies being posted to "their" thread and decides to moderate the evidence out of existence.

Sorry guys.

Yeah, I thought about that, thats why I said the flag thingy...oh well

can you delete this stupid question??? LMAO

Guest Boomhower
I need to change that. Regular members shouldn't even be able to delete their own posts. :screwy:
Fixed. Apparently only Benefactors could do that. I never intended to have that option set, so I just changed it.

Why not?.....Wouldn't be any different than any of us going in and editing our post to just say "........" or something like that.

i see no problem with us being able to delete our own posts or even delete our own threads that we started.

not trying to compare or say i can do it there, why not here? but on another forum i am on, performancetrucks.net, it is also vbulletin based and members have the ability to edit their own posts, delete their own posts, and delete their own threads unless it was posted in the classifieds subforum. we have no problems with that set of rules and it has a MUCH larger member count than TGO. they do not have the ability to lock threads though, only an administrator or moderator can do that.

Guest Verbal Kint
i see no problem with us being able to delete our own posts or even delete our own threads that we started.

Aside from the reason already stated, it also causes potential problems on the backend of vBulletin, in the thread indexing, etc. It can lead to bigger issues than you might think, when people start deleting random/multiple threads at will. If someone really needs a thread deleted or adjusted, they can petition an Admin/Mod to handle the issue. It's best left as-is.

• Administrator

Scenerio...

A member posts a lot of very useful information that is of benefit to many people. The thread grows as others contribute valuable information. Over time, it becomes a well liked resource on the forum and many people have contributed into it.

Later, someone pisses off the original starter of that thread and they decide to give the community the finger, pack up their toys and go home. When they do, they delete that thread because they started it and the software saw that they had appropriate permissions to do so.

Everyone loses as a result.

Still think it's a good idea? I don't. We have moderators for a reason, and that's so that not everyone has keys to the kingdom that they can manipulate at will. This is the way it will stay.