Cell phone jammer

I've been looking into these online.

Does anyone have one or have experience with one? If they really do work, I am having me one these! I am sick of customers coming in on their phone and making me wait until they finish their conversation; inconveniencing me and worse, the next customer behind them.

I am sick of some clown driving 30mph in a 55mph zone because they can't get that phone out of their ear.

I wouldn't keep it on all the time, but I would be inclined to turn it on here at the shop when people won't get off them.

Legal? Well, maybe, sort of. This why I like being a lawyer. They're probably illegal in general use, like at the food court, but may be legal in your own business with a waiver (permit) from the FCC. There are no cases since 9-11 so it might be in the air.

Guest uofmeet

You would be causing "Harmful Interference" which I am pretty sure it is illegal. However, not sure about on your own personal property. The waiver would be something interesting to look into. Although, I am sure their is some law or regulation that says any cell phone has to be able to dial "911" so if you jam the cell signal, you would be disrupting the abilities to call 911. But my guess on how it works is that it is a very wide-banded transmitter that covers the cell phone bands of the spectrum causing disruption of the cell tower signals getting to the phones. It is probably just a blanket carrier. For example, you are trying to poor beer into a mug and while you are doing that, someone is using a fire hose to put water in the same mug. You might get a little bit of beer, but the rest of it is water causing you not to really be able to taste the beer and just a big mess.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jamming-cell-phones-and-gps-equipment-against-law

Jamming Cell Phones and GPS Equipment is Against the Law

In recent years, the number of websites offering “cell jammers†or similar devices designed to block communications and create a “quiet zone†in vehicles, schools, theaters, restaurants, and other places has increased substantially. While these devices are marketed under different names, such as signal blockers, GPS jammers, or text stoppers, they have the same purpose. We remind and warn consumers that it is a violation of federal law to use a cell jammer or similar devices that intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications such as cell phones, police radar, GPS, and Wi-Fi. Despite some marketers’ claims, consumers cannot legally use jammers within the United States, nor can retailers lawfully sell them.

News Release: FCC Enforcement Bureau Steps Up Education and Enforcement Efforts Against Cellphone and GPS Jamming. [Word | PDF]

Advisory: Retailers Advised that the Marketing or Sale of Devices Designed to Block, Jam, or Interfere with Authorized Radio Communications Is Strictly Prohibited in the U.S. Enforcement Bureau Takes Action Against the Retail Sale of Jammers. [Word | PDF]

Advisory: CONSUMERS BEWARE: It is Unlawful to Use “Cell Jammers†and Other Equipment that Blocks, Jams, or Interferes with Authorized Radio Communications in the U.S. [Word | PDF]

Caster, you sure you weren't thinking about drones? :tinfoil:

Not this time, just idiot sheeple with no common courtesy. At least they didn't try to put their hands on me. That's a plus.

Edited by Caster

Okay, we've established the fact that it's illegal. I accept it and we should drop it there, but in rebuttal to the 911 thing; Why would someone just leave it on? If they were legal and I were going to use one, I'd like to have one with a momentary switch. Hold it down until the offender gets cut off and then resume normal operation.

I've know two folks that played around with one. One commented that it worked pretty good, the other it didn't work at all. I'd guess it depends on how close you are to a cell tower. Heard they were ordered straight from china. That may also explain why they didn't work all that good.

Also, if anyone is running a cellular credit card machine a cell phone jammer will destroy them. The cellular credit card machines are designed to basically become permanently none functioning if they think they are being compromised. I know David had a machine ruined by a guy selling them at one of the gun shows. He called the CC company about it and they told him to buy another machine. And they run over $1,000. Turns out that single weekend the guy selling them ruined a bunch of vendors CC machines.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Just make a sign. Be a real ass, smile, lift it from under the counter & set it down in front of them & just look a them..still smiling. "This register closed when cell phones are in use."

There is legal verbiage being a merchant that it is your responsibility to inform the customer of the total prior to processing their credit/debit card. You just need to ensure an environment that allows the customer the ability to hear that, this is solely for their benefit :-)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

A little joke to lighten things up:

Cell Phone Etiquette

After a very busy day, Peggy settled down in her seat and closed her eyes as the train departed Manhattan for the 'burbs.

As the train rolled out of the station, one last passenger jumped on the train and got the last seat — right next to Peggy.

Naturally, he pulled out his cell phone and started talking in a loud voice.

"Hi sweetheart, it's Eric! ... I'm on the train — yes, I know it's the six thirty and not the four thirty, but I had a long meeting ... No, honey, not with that floozie frrom the accounts office, with the boss. No sweetheart, you're the only one in my life — yes, I'm sure, cross my heart," etc., etc.

It was nauseating. And no matter how much Peggy glared at him, cleared her throat, or otherwise tried to express her disapproval over his rudeness, he completely ignored her.

Fifteen minutes later, she got an idea. She leaned in close to him and said in her most sensual, pouty voice aimed right at his phone:

"Hey, Eric, sweetie! Turn off that stupid phone and come back to bed!"

Eric doesn't use his cell phone in public any longer.

• Like 1

The ones I havent seen working were not built from kits and they didn't basically shut down a cell phone store very nearby where we were not looking at the design of a thing that doesn't exist

• Like 1