Surpressed home defense weapon

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppressors are great but if all you are really looking for is hearing protection from discharging your weapon in the house (which is an EXCELLENT idea) I'd buy a pair of earpmuffs.

With a suppressor you have to have one for each HD firearm you might want to use/have located in your house. Plus they are expensive and a hassle to buy.

You can get a cheep electronic set(s) and just leave them by your HD firearm(s)...not only do they protect your hearing but you can turn up the gain on the mic and possibly have an advantage by hearing the bad guy move around.

I have several suppressors. I don't use them on my home defense guns. My brain shuts off the sound of a gun shot in a house. Under stress all I hear is a dull pop, then normal sound resumes. My ears never ring. I've probably done damage, but it's a fair trade. (Not like it happens evey day) Adrenalin is a strange chemical.

Guest bkelm18

I have several suppressors. I don't use them on my home defense guns. My brain shuts off the sound of a gun shot in a house. Under stress all I hear is a dull pop, then normal sound resumes. My ears never ring. I've probably done damage, but it's a fair trade. (Not like it happens evey day) Adrenalin is a strange chemical.

Just how many times have you used your gun for self defense in your house??

• Administrator

While it's perfectly legal to own one and even use one in a life threatening situation you should be prepared to be demonized by the liberal media if you ever do.

Jesus... if you ever use a GUN to defend yourself, you should be prepared for that. And if the notion of it bothers you, you should probably just leave the door to your home unlocked and wear something nice and sexy for the robbers / rapists.

Jesus... if you ever use a GUN to defend yourself, you should be prepared for that. And if the notion of it bothers you, you should probably just leave the door to your home unlocked and wear something nice and sexy for the robbers / rapists.

Yeah, but you know the crap media would twist and spin it in some way to make you look like a killer instead of self defense. I mean, a person with a permit could likely carry a Glock 18, but that'd be a very bad idea.

Edited by Caster
  • Administrator

Yeah, but you know the crap media would twist and spin it in some way to make you look like a killer instead of self defense. I mean, a person with a permit could likely carry a Glock 18, but that'd be a very bad idea.

The media probably wouldn't like my evil Glock or my evil shotgun or my evil black rifle, so there's no point in me caring what the media thinks. If I ever have to use deadly force to repel a home invader and I have a suppressor attached to my firearm, it's up to my attorney to do his or her job.

You could carry a pink wiffle ball bat with unicorn stickers, and somehow things would get turned against you in the press. Weapon choice is irrelevant if anything else about the story can be twisted to sell papers.

To the OP, there are many fine Class III dealers in the Nashville area. The one that comes to mind with the most actual items to look at and fondle is Outpost Armory in Murfreesboro, however they are not the only ones around. See the top post in this forum for a pretty good list of NFA Dealers.

Mac

Edited by McAllyn

You might want to be a little cautious about using a suppressor on a home defense weapon, because it would be a shame to have another case like the H&K salesman/engineer/whatever who used a full auto in a self defense situation. I know that's something that is a slightly different case but still something of which to be aware.

The media probably wouldn't like my evil Glock or my evil shotgun or my evil black rifle, so there's no point in me caring what the media thinks. If I ever have to use deadly force to repel a home invader and I have a suppressor attached to my firearm, it's up to my attorney to do his or her job.

The media probably won't like it but why do things, especially unnecessary things, that makes it easier for the media to spin things the way they want to spin it? Charges may well be filed just based on media reports/pressure and court and attorneys are pretty damn expensive...it seems to me that avoiding them is a better course of action.

If I have to repel a home invader and the closest weapon to me is one with a suppressor I'm going to us it but I don't think I'd include a suppressed weapon as part of my HD plan - it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Administrator

The media probably won't like it but why do things, especially unnecessary things, that makes it easier for the media to spin things the way they want to spin it? Charges may well be filed just based on media reports/pressure and court and attorneys are pretty damn expensive...it seems to me that avoiding them is a better course of action.

If I have to repel a home invader and the closest weapon to me is one with a suppressor I'm going to us it but I don't think I'd include a suppressed weapon as part of my HD plan - it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I understand what you're saying, but if someone breaks into my home and I happen to be in the garage and the only thing I have handy is a chainsaw, guess what I'm defending my family with? I just hate, at a very base level, these concessions we subconsciously make and the slippery slope we've created by doing so, all for fear of what the media or a jury might think.

I agree with using whatever is available. I just don't see why anyone would buy a suppressed weapon just for self defense.

As opposed to what? Just for range fun? To look at and show your friends? At the very base level a weapon is for self defense, regardless if it is suppressed or not. I have hearing loss/tinnitus from using weapons in houses....it sucks. It's not something you can get back once it's gone.

As opposed to what? Just for range fun? To look at and show your friends? At the very base level a weapon is for self defense, regardless if it is suppressed or not. I have hearing loss/tinnitus from using weapons in houses....it sucks. It's not something you can get back once it's gone.

I wouldn't. I have some hearing loss too. Can't say I've shot many guns in the house though. I figure I can put up with a few rounds if my life depends on it. If things go like the last 30 years, I'll probably just wind up carrying them around. I appreciate the fact that they're not a foot long.

You might want to be a little cautious about using a suppressor on a home defense weapon, because it would be a shame to have another case like the H&K salesman/engineer/whatever who used a full auto in a self defense situation. I know that's something that is a slightly different case but still something of which to be aware.

-noob alert- what happened?

Just how many times have you used your gun for self defense in your house??

I never said self defense. I've been in confined spaces four times when firearms were discharged. One was in a car and a guy had negligent discharge in the back seat behind me. No one had a clue what happened until the guy pulled back his bolt and ejected a spent round.The round traveled though my seat about an inch from my ass. The natural response would be anger, but that's not the emotion we all had. Think about deer hunting. How many people hear the shot? I never have. I know that the shot brakes when I see the scope move. I have had to use my have gun in self defense, but I will never tell that story in an open forum. The first time I was shot at I had no idea what was happening except the guys I worked with were all getting real small real fast. I'm not military. Just had a odd life around pissed off people.