Surpressed home defense weapon

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Anybody thought about just removing said suppressor after the job is done? Throw it in the closet If you're that paranoid.

Tampering with evidence is generally not looked upon too lightly by the police.

I just wanna say this, if I have to use a firearm in a home defense situation, I want everybody to hear it, and know it. I want it to be my 12 gauge and I want it to wake the neighbors (assuming they're asleep). The first thing I'm doing after a home defense situation is calling the police and reporting the incident. I can understand the hearing protection argument, but the way I see it, is that anything like a silenced weapon or not immediately reporting the incident to police, can be spun as trying to hide the incident, which can be spun as a lack of belief by the homeowner that they were truly justified in using deadly force. I'm not saying it's logical, but we are talking about the media and the courts here. I can easily see some silver tounged attorny asking a homeowner who is on the stand why he/she felt the need to silence their weapon unless they thought they might need to keep the incident from coming to peoples' attention.

• 1 month later...

Personally I do not believe I would want to use a suppressor for self defense. Not because of how I will be portrayed but because it will be placed in evidence for an unkown length of time. It could only be a week or two or it could be years and I don't want to trust something like a suppressor to the system.

It depends on the weapon being used for self defense whether the muzzle blast of a unsuppressed gun is going to suck a little or suck a lot. A SBR gun chambered in 5.56 is miserable indoors. Even with hearing protection you are going to have some ringing. Then the blast itself can be very disorienting, especially if you are shooting in a dark area or at night. And that blast will force your eyes closed no matter how hard you try to keep them open. A suppressor can mitigate all those problems better than a set of muffs can.

A pistol is less miserable but it is still going to be pretty miserable indoors as well as a shotgun.

Distance to the target also has an effect on the effectiveness of the suppressor. If the rounds are supersonic there will be a sonic crack but as long as the target is under the ~7 yard range it is going to be pretty quiet. Beyond that and the sonic crack can get pretty loud pretty quickly. I have shown this phenomenon to several people with my suppressor. I take high velocity, supersonic ammo and shoot into the ground at my feet. It will be as quiet as shooting subsonic ammo. But when I shoot at distant targets I get the supersonic crack. One more thing about the supersonic crack, not so much related to SD, is that the supersonic shot does not sound like it came from the gun. It sounds like it came from where it passes you. That is if you are facing the shooter and he is in front of you when he takes a shot but misses over your right shoulder the shot will sound like it came from the right and not from the front. That is because the supersonic crack moves out at a 90 degree angle from the bullet path until the bullet falls below the speed of sound. I have tested this myself by shooting past livestock with a suppressed gun shooting supersonic ammo. The livestock always runs towards the bullet path rather than towards me like they do when I shoot unsupressed.

As far as shooting then removing the suppressor there are a few problems with that. First is lying about what happened. And athough getting caught in a small lie like removing the suppressor doesn't seem bad it puts into question every other part of your story which can be very bad. Another problem I see but I am not postitive about, I may have to test it, is the gasses and debris will be more concentrated on the target with a suppressor. I know that when I don't have a can on the gasses dissipate pretty quickly in all directions. When it is on all the gas and crud is directed straight forward into the target when I am close to it. And I think that concentration can make the shot appear as though you were closer than you really are.

Rather than try to suppress something why not pick something more suited to self defense indoors. One of our go to guns is a 9mm rifle. Although it is not hearing safe it is definitely a lot quiter than a pistol and guns chambered in rifle calibers. Couple that with 357 magnum like ballisticas because of the extra barrel length and it makes for a very effective firearm. You have just as many rounds as most other rifles. I also believe that the blowback design of most pistol caliber carbines is more reliable and rugged than any gas or locked breech setup. And 9mm is effective out to 100 yards easily. And the energy level of a 9mm carbine is the same at 100 yards as at the muzzle of a pistol.

As was mentioned earlier adrenaline can do strange things to the body. It shuts down 90% of your heard hearing. And although you may not hear the shot the physical damage is still there. You will still have ringing in the ears and temporary hearing loss afterwards. You also get tunnel vision as well as loose fine motor skills. Training and life experiences can reduce the effects of adrenaline but in a true fight or flight situation you will suffer the effects of adrenaline.

In the end, for me, using a suppressor on a SD weapon is a GREAT thing but unfortunately because of circumstances out of my control I would not use one.

Dolomite

My concern wouldnt be for my hearing it would be for others in the home. A gun shot indoors is bad enough of fully developed ears but coutld be extreamly damaging to children in the home. I personally dont own one yet, im still behind the power curve on NFA items, however if i did i dont think i would hesitate to leave it on a home defense weapon. You may loose it for a time to the system but i think that risk would still be outweighed by the benifits of reduced noise and light.

My concern wouldnt be for my hearing it would be for others in the home. A gun shot indoors is bad enough of fully developed ears but coutld be extreamly damaging to children in the home. I personally dont own one yet, im still behind the power curve on NFA items, however if i did i dont think i would hesitate to leave it on a home defense weapon. You may loose it for a time to the system but i think that risk would still be outweighed by the benifits of reduced noise and light.

If insulated by walls the kids' ears will be fine. Even in homes with concrete walls it isn't that bad unless you're in the room. The standard pistol calibers (9mm, .40, .45) aren't that bad indoors. You won't notice how loud it is when you shoot it in the moment and it probably won't do any permanent damage. The magnum calibers might and the rifle calibers certainly will in addition to blinding you with muzzle flash. But, like I said, you won't notice the noise in the moment.

If insulated by walls the kids' ears will be fine. Even in homes with concrete walls it isn't that bad unless you're in the room. The standard pistol calibers (9mm, .40, .45) aren't that bad indoors. You won't notice how loud it is when you shoot it in the moment and it probably won't do any permanent damage. The magnum calibers might and the rifle calibers certainly will in addition to blinding you with muzzle flash. But, like I said, you won't notice the noise in the moment.

Ive done plenty of indoor shooting, and your right pistol isnt that bad. However personally i use a rifle for HD. I still live by the thought process that the purpose of a pistol is to fight your way to a rifle. Noise in the moment isnt something im worried about. With an infant being born soon i would be worried about her ears being damaged.. and seeing as most parents are either going strait to their kids or their kids comming to them I'd say a home defense shooting is likely to have children in the immediate vicinity of the firearm being discharged. Not saying that it is 100 percent necessary i just dont see the limited risks outweighing the potential benifits. If you have one you might as well use it.

Ive done plenty of indoor shooting, and your right pistol isnt that bad. However personally i use a rifle for HD. I still live by the thought process that the purpose of a pistol is to fight your way to a rifle. Noise in the moment isnt something im worried about. With an infant being born soon i would be worried about her ears being damaged.. and seeing as most parents are either going strait to their kids or their kids comming to them I'd say a home defense shooting is likely to have children in the immediate vicinity of the firearm being discharged. Not saying that it is 100 percent necessary i just dont see the limited risks outweighing the potential benifits. If you have one you might as well use it.

Oh, I assumed you were talking about pistol. I keep the shotty and a pistol for home defense. All the rifles are locked up. I live in a neighborhood, so I wouldn't feel comfortable using my long gun knowing those rounds are going to burn through walls with ease.

Guest 270win

Shootings inside buildings over burglars are pretty straight forward in Tennessee. I have yet to see charges brought against a homeowner who has killed a burglar breaking inside a house in the Memphis area. I can't see how SBR, SBS, or suppressor would matter if it is inside your house. Now out on the street where there is a higher standard somewhat to using deadly force, I would assume that could add to complexities.