300 AAC Blackout

I'm starting a new AR build, and am leaning heavily toward the 300 BLK. Somebody talk me out of it.

I reload anyway, and will definately reload for this caliber. I have some 5.56 AR's, and one in .458 SOCOM. I plan to assemble the upper and lower from scratch. I DON'T plan to use subsonic ammo or a supressor. It will probably be a 16" barrel, and may wind up with a muzzle brake.

I hear it can be kind of hard to make really, really cheap brass for it.

I also hear the Lee is making cheap dies for it and we all know that Lee dies suck.

Good luck with your 300 BLK build. :)

Dolomite

I ain't skeered of the brass issue. I'll buy factory 300 blk brass. Can't be as expensive as .458 SOCOM brass, and there's no way to make that stuff.

I love Lee dies.

BTW... I may hunt you down when I get the stripped upper. Probably want to square this one up before I install the barrel.

Edited by mikegideon

Mike:___________

Go for it!!! Hurry up and get to work on the blackout. You are startin to do exactly what i want to start to do.

Let us know what parts ya decide to use.

Keep up the good work.

leroy

Guest BungieCord

If I were hankerin' for a .30 AR15 and SSS was not a consideration, I think I'd be hard pressed not to go with the .30 BR.

Mike, you know that all you are doing is trying to make an AR into the superior AK caliber ... Right?

Seriously though, I have thought about doing the same thing. If I reloaded, could I reload 7.62x39 and 300 AAC with the same bullets?

Edited by Smith

Mike, you know that all you are doing is trying to make an AR into the superior AK caliber ... Right?

Seriously though, I have thought about doing the same thing. If I reloaded, could I reload 7.62x39 and 300 AAC with the same bullets?

I prefer to think of it as an AK that doesn't rattle :pleased: . I'm just starting to look into it. Haven't compared any loads yet.

back in 1981 i got a remington xp-100 and changed the barrel over to 30-223. as far as i can tell the 30-223 is the same as the 300 aac blackout. if i am wrong please show me the different. rcbs made dies for it along with other named brand companies. i would take military brass and run them through the sizing/forming die to make the 30-223 brass. i would lose about one in 20 to spliting the case. never had to annealed the cases and i am still using them today.

back in 1981 i got a remington xp-100 and changed the barrel over to 30-223. as far as i can tell the 30-223 is the same as the 300 aac blackout. if i am wrong please show me the different. rcbs made dies for it along with other named brand companies. i would take military brass and run them through the sizing/forming die to make the 30-223 brass. i would lose about one in 20 to spliting the case. never had to annealed the cases and i am still using them today.

There are a couple out there that are real close. The difference is that it's a SAAMI approved round, so there's lots of support from manufacturers. Again, I don't mind buying the brass, since it's available from a couple of different manufacturers, and not that expensive.

Are you really wanting to be talked out of it? If so and your not going to shoot it suppressed I don't see the point. I would choose the 6.5 Grendel over the Blackout if I was not going to suppress it.

Now, that being said, I sold all of my Grendel stuff and now shoot the blackout. But I do it silently...

Are you really wanting to be talked out of it? If so and your not going to shoot it suppressed I don't see the point. I would choose the 6.5 Grendel over the Blackout if I was not going to suppress it.

Now, that being said, I sold all of my Grendel stuff and now shoot the blackout. But I do it silently...

I don't really want to be talked out of it. It's more of a "Am I missing anything?" question. I took a hard look at the Grendel. If I'm going to suppress something, it will most likely be a .458 SOCOM. If you're gonna go slow, you might as well sling a 500 grain pill.

I know what I'm getting here. It's basically a 30/30 in an AR. If I don't like it for some reason, I'm a barrel swap away from turning it into a plain AR.

i picked up some wilson combat lowers but cant decide whatv to build on them

That's a tough call. 458 Socom maybe?

You need a .50 Beowulf to keep that .50 Alaskan company. How 'bout that?

Edited by Caster