300 AAC Blackout

Oh, I'll reload. I probably won't form my own brass. Will most likely just buy the cheap remington ammo to get enough for load workup. The caliber likes H110 powder, and I have a couple of pounds of that. Also have a brick of primers. Just need a set of dies, some bullets, and I'm good to go.

BTW... I don't mind running them a little warm. The rifle will have a milspec M16 BCG.

Will you be using H110 for supersonic and subsonic loads? It seems like I read somewhere that H110 wasn't a subsonic-friendly powder? I could be wrong. I probably read it on 300blktalk.com.

Can anyone recommend a good subsonic powder?

To the OP: Apologies for the thread jack. If you are offended I will start a new thread.

Let 'er rip. Since the barrel and other parts are showing up today, my questions are answered. You have the right folks on this thread. There's some load data out on the net. I haven't found any pressure tested data yet.

Can anyone recommend a good subsonic powder?

To the OP: Apologies for the thread jack. If you are offended I will start a new thread.

It ain't a thread hijack dude, we're talking 300 blackout. That's a relevant question.

I don't have it handy but Accurate Arms has load data for .300 Whisper using AA#5 and a few other AA powders. That would be an excellent place to start. AA#5 is the bees knees anyway. One of best all around pistol powders out there.

Let 'er rip. Since the barrel and other parts are showing up today, my questions are answered. You have the right folks on this thread. There's some load data out on the net. I haven't found any pressure tested data yet.

Ok, thanks.

It ain't a thread hijack dude, we're talking 300 blackout. That's a relevant question.

I don't have it handy but Accurate Arms has load data for .300 Whisper using AA#5 and a few other AA powders. That would be an excellent place to start. AA#5 is the bees knees anyway. One of best all around pistol powders out there.

Thanks, I'll check into AA5

Any other suggestions?

Guest nysos

Remington has factory subsonics out. Might be able to research the components they use to help base a load off it. I am sure someone somewhere has bought a box and pulled the bullets and weighed the powder out as well.

1601.jpg

Designed to launch 30 caliber bullets from AR-style platforms, the 300 AAC Blackout (300 BLK) cartridge has become extremely popular among many types of shooters. This 220 Grain subsonic ammunition with Open-Tip Match (OTM) bullets shoots better than a 9mm MP5 in penetration and accuracy. The brass features a standard 5.56mm taper which minimizes strain on the bolt's weaknesses.

Technical Information

• Caliber: 300 AAC Blackout (7.62x35mm)
  • Bullet Weight: 220 Grains
  • Bullet Style: OTM
  • Case Type: Brass
    Ballistics Information:
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1015 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 503 ft. lbs

Or some judicious use of Quickload and a chrony. The 300 blk cartridge is in my quickload database.

Really? Goody! I'm behind the pack here as it'll be later before I get to join the game, but I'm on my way. I am making brass though. I cut off 100 LC cases with a die grinder/cut off wheel this morning.

My gun should be running this weekend. Don't have dies yet.

EDIT: Quickload has over 1200 cartridges in it's database. I haven't ever looked for anything that wasn't there. Has over 2500 bullets too.

Edited by mikegideon

Well I drank the koolaid as well.

I have dies and a barrel blank coming. I will be building a Savage at first then an AR later on if I like the caliber. I am going to use the neck sizing die from the 7.62x39 to make a 300 BLK neck sizing die. And I will be using a Redding body die for the body. Now I just need to wait for all the parts come in then get busy making brass.

Funny thing is I still haven't shot my 7.62x39 I built other than to collect brass.

Dolomite

My gun should be running this weekend. Don't have dies yet.

EDIT: Quickload has over 1200 cartridges in it's database. I haven't ever looked for anything that wasn't there. Has over 2500 bullets too.

\

Look for 300 whisper and 300 fireball. If it has those, there's usable data there too.

\

Look for 300 whisper and 300 fireball. If it has those, there's usable data there too.

You may be a little confused about how Quickload works. It doesn't have factory loads. It's strictly roll your own. Here's a screen shot of a .223 workup...

265gr748.jpg

Guest nysos

I also ordered a 230 grain mold so I can cast bullets and with the recent copper plating project means I will have plenty of bullets.

When I have the funds, my next AR is definitely going to be a 300 blk SBR to suppress.

I have thought about getting into casting as well but never liked straight lead bullets - call me weird. Always used plated bullets and wondered about plating my own if I got into casting. May end up doing that if I ever get the funds for my SBR.

When I have the funds, my next AR is definitely going to be a 300 blk SBR to suppress.

I have thought about getting into casting as well but never liked straight lead bullets - call me weird. Always used plated bullets and wondered about plating my own if I got into casting. May end up doing that if I ever get the funds for my SBR.

Plating is easier than casting. I spent some time yesterday and today figuring things out. I have figured out the correct current to get a nice finish.

Casting isn't much harder either. If I can do it anyone can.

And if you want to talk about anything let me know and I will be glad to help you out. Caster is an Albert Einstein to casting compared to me.

Dolomite

Guest nysos

Plating is easier than casting. I spent some time yesterday and today figuring things out. I have figured out the correct current to get a nice finish.

Casting isn't much harder either. If I can do it anyone can.

And if you want to talk about anything let me know and I will be glad to help you out. Caster is an Albert Einstein to casting compared to me.

I will hold you to that, it may be months down the road or next year before I get around to doing these projects (budget wise), but it will happen. You will probably have everything mastered by then with the amount of effort you put into all your little projects.

You may be a little confused about how Quickload works. It doesn't have factory loads. It's strictly roll your own. Here's a screen shot of a .223 workup...

Right but being as the whisper and fireball are older cartridges I just figured they might have been considered in the algorithm.

How much is this program anyway?

Edited by Caster