Hcp influence on not drinking

Guest sL1k

Guest sL1k

I'm just wondering if i am the only one. But has anyone else saved a bunch of $ because you would rather be able to carry and defend yourself than have a beer with dinner? There has only been one time where i employed a DGH :) (designated gun holder) since i have had my permit.

More money for ammo!

My days of getting to go out and have some beers are so far behind me that one doesn't have a significant effect on the other.... kids. So when the opportunity comes up to go out with the wife or meet up with some colleagues for a drink I gladly leave it (the gun) at home. A few years back I went unarmed.... a lot!

Edited by TMF 18B

Hasn't changed anything for me, but I can see how it does for others. This is a good thing. I hate the idea of drinking while out and about but I don't have a right to force that on others. I drink at home, preferably alone. Many people are sure that they are capable of handling themselves while out. I hope they're right. Many a momma has lost her baby because someone thought they were okay too.

Be safe.

Guest sL1k

The bad thing is a glass of tea cost almost the same

yep sadly it does!

Hasn't changed anything for me, but I can see how it does for others. This is a good thing. I hate the idea of drinking while out and about but I don't have a right to force that on others. I drink at home, preferably alone. Many people are sure that they are capable of handling themselves while out. I hope they're right. Many a momma has lost her baby because someone thought they were okay too.

Be safe.

I only drink at home now also. I hope they're right too...

Be safe.

Well drinking while "out" doesn't immediately imply that folks that do are going to do anything unsafe or are going to be drunk. Back in my bar days it was either walking home to the apartment or getting a cab when we bought a house away from downtown. Even still, when I go out to have a drink socially or when I'm out to dinner, it doesn't mean that I'm going to get intoxicated. I enjoy having a nice big beer with my steak along with potatoes. This is how I've always done it and how I'll always do it until they outlaw beer and red meat (most likely in that order). I think most folks do the same when they go out to dinner. Drinking while out doesn't mean you have to be unsafe any more than carrying a loaded firearm means you are a danger to folks around you. In order to be unsafe you must first apply alcohol and then apply stupidity.

Well drinking while "out" doesn't immediately imply that folks that do are going to do anything unsafe or are going to be drunk. Back in my bar days it was either walking home to the apartment or getting a cab when we bought a house away from downtown. Even still, when I go out to have a drink socially or when I'm out to dinner, it doesn't mean that I'm going to get intoxicated. I enjoy having a nice big beer with my steak along with potatoes. This is how I've always done it and how I'll always do it until they outlaw beer and red meat (most likely in that order). I think most folks do the same when they go out to dinner. Drinking while out doesn't mean you have to be unsafe any more than carrying a loaded firearm means you are a danger to folks around you. In order to be unsafe you must first apply alcohol and then apply stupidity.

You have a point but impairment starts before you can actually feel a difference. All that is relative to body mass and how seasoned a drinker a person is. That's all arguable and neither side can make headway. More importantly than any of that is that a routine traffic stop or road block coupled with a less than reasonable officer can have dire consequences. The fact that a person is not inebriated is irrelevant. A persons carry weapon plus the smell of alcohol equals time and money wasted.

Just be careful everyone, not that that makes a difference. If a person was not being careful, my telling them to be careful would likely have no effect.

• Like 1
Guest Victor9er

You have a point but impairment starts before you can actually feel a difference. All that is relative to body mass and how seasoned a drinker a person is. That's all arguable and neither side can make headway. More importantly than any of that is that a routine traffic stop or road block coupled with a less than reasonable officer can have dire consequences. The fact that a person is not inebriated is irrelevant. A persons carry weapon plus the smell of alcohol equals time and money wasted.

Just be careful everyone, not that that makes a difference. If a person was not being careful, my telling them to be careful would likely have no effect.

Not to derail this thread but this brings up an interesting topic.... what are the legal implications if you are having a few drinks at home when someone breaks in to your house and you end up shooting them? On the one hand, you have a right to defend yourself and your family in your own home, but on the other hand is the issue of impared judgement and being drunk while handling a weapon.

To answer the OP question I seldom go out for drinks anymore also. I have kids and those days are pretty well behind me so it really hasn't affected me. On the rare occassion that I do have a drink it's usually at home with a friend or two.

That's why I leave my gun at home if I'm going to be drinking. I thought most others did the same. I could be wrong on this but I thought at .04 you could be arrested for possession while intoxicated. I don't carry around a breathilyzer with me so I don't know at what point I become a .04, but I would estimate after two beers or one of those really big ones that are so tasty.

Not to derail this thread but this brings up an interesting topic.... what are the legal implications if you are having a few drinks at home when someone breaks in to your house and you end up shooting them? On the one hand, you have a right to defend yourself and your family in your own home, but on the other hand is the issue of impared judgement and being drunk while handling a weapon.

To answer the OP question I seldom go out for drinks anymore also. I have kids and those days are pretty well behind me so it really hasn't affected me. On the rare occassion that I do have a drink it's usually at home with a friend or two.

I think the legal implications are going to matter if the DA decides to prosecute. Just because someone breaks into your home doesn't mean you can't defend yourself because you've had a lot to drink, but it also doesn't mean that it won't be used against you in court. If the shoot looks suspicious and the DA decides to press charges, you can bet your butt that alcohol is going to be a big factor in the evidence against you.

Sorry bud, everyone's not that smart.

Well, if they get rolled up packing heat and stinkin of booze they deserve what's coming to them. Just had one in Clarksville the other day who got arrested for boozing and carrying... 10,000 bond.

• Like 1

Well, if they get rolled up packing heat and stinkin of booze they deserve what's coming to them.

This. If you want to carry, don't drink. If you want to drink, leave it at home. If you choose to drink and carry, that's on you when you get caught.

• Like 1

Well, if they get rolled up packing heat and stinkin of booze they deserve what's coming to them. Just had one in Clarksville the other day who got arrested for boozing and carrying... 10,000 bond.

Is that 'bout normal bond for a Class A 'meanor, like DUI?

- OS

It would probably depend a lot on how the circumstances are presented to the officer. If he rules it a justifiable shoot I don't think the fact that you were drinking would matter too much, especially in your home where castle doctrine is the law. But a gun-hating DA can always make your life hell if he wants to.

Guest db99wj

Someone breaks into my house, I will deal with the fact that I had something to drink later, and be glad that I am able to deal with it....later.

Oh, going out to have a drink with friends, no carry.

I carry, I believe in the right to carry, I believe in being prepared, however, I am not going to become a slave to it. If I want to do something and I can't carry in that particular place due to the law, I won't carry.

Edited by db99wj
Guest nysos

I know I definitely spend less, in fact I rarely go out altogether now. My favorite hangout is posted, and so I find I save in gas since I don't frequent that establishment but on rare occasions. If they weren't posted I would still frequent the place albeit drinking mellow yellow or coke all evening.

Not in Clarksville. Here DUI is usually 500 unless it's a repeater or there are circumstances.

Thought it was quite high. This guy must have made quite a scene or something to get slammed that hard; no other charges like resisting or assault on officer or something?

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

Been years since taking a drink away from home. Before that, had long ago got in the habit that if one does take a drink away from home then don't drink for at least two hours before driving and drink no more than 1 shot per hour. A healthy liver supposedly metabolizes in the ballpark of half ounce alcohol per hour. In theory, one wouldn't put many sheets to the wind consuming one NORMAL drink per hour. Oughtn't even properly unfurl the mainsail under that load.

OTOH a guy consuming 2 or more drinks per hour-- By the end of the evening-- Mainsail, topsail, topgallant, spanker, quarterdeck and multiple jibs, all creaking under a gale-force wind. :)

It is simpler to never drink when away from home. No possibility of DUI or Carry While Intoxicated or whatever. An evening out doesn't even sound like fun and haven't gone out recreationally for many years, though it is occasionally fun to play music in bars.