Is this a Kwik sighting with another LE encounter video?

Maybe the legal people here can clarify here, but if this guy is say in Kentucky and he is quoting case law between a person and another state, that means that it would be a federal case (or irrelevant). If that is a federal case ruling, could the cops not charge him with being stupid at the state level, then he would have to go through the entire gambit of local and state courts before it could be moved up to the federal level and compared then?

Might be wrong in my assumption of how the system works, but it seems like he's been lucky during the encounters so far. My second guess is that he is just regurgitating internet research and he couldn't tell you the intent behind any of those rulings he has quoted.

Edited by Sam1

I've gotta be honest. I'm happy that the guy can quote the law to the police. However, I hope he understands the full rulings and has actually spent time researching them to understand the entire outcome.

Might be wrong in my assumption of how the system works, but it seems like he's been lucky during the encounters so far. My second guess is that he is just regurgitating internet research and he couldn't tell you the intent behind any of those rulings he has quoted.

Don’t underestimate his research abilities he knows the law. What he lacks is an understanding of the application of the law. That’s why he lost his HCP. After a Tennessee court ruled he “poses a material likelihood of risk to the public†and suspended his HCP; the Feds gave him an FFL.

Don’t underestimate his research abilities he knows the law. What he lacks is an understanding of the application of the law. That’s why he lost his HCP. After a Tennessee court ruled he “poses a material likelihood of risk to the public†and suspended his HCP; the Feds gave him an FFL.

And they wanna make us buy insurance. These are stupid people.

• Like 2

And they wanna make us buy insurance. These are stupid people.

It’s amazing. They tout all this BS about improving background checks and they give a Class 1 FFL to a person that can’t legally carry a firearm in their own state because they say he poses a risk to the public. I can’t believe that this was not uncovered during a background check.

couldn't they have said he was being detained for inciting a panic. My guess is he was not just strolling down the block with an OC. I would guess that he was pacing around. I have people walk past my house all day and never pay attention until the person has gone by my house 3-4 times. I also would not have noticed an OC if someone was just walking by and continued down the street. I really think he was looking for this action to be taken by the cops, which gives the rest of the gun community a bad name. I think it is great that he knew the law and stood up for it, I just don't think creating a situation where he can prove his knowledge is smart.

Edited by Lions Fan

As I understand Oregon law, OC is illegal except in a couple of cities, Portland being one of them. Even though it's legal in Portland, I think fair to say that people likely aren't used to seeing people walk around openly carrying a firearm and I'm sure that's why someone called the police; I don't know that it would have taken him a lot of effort to get noticed.

I have no overt evidence of such but I suspect this guy did this in order to provoke a response and, being the law student that he is, felt compelled to argue the law with a cop on the street (that's a stupid thing to do even when you are a real lawyer) and then post it on YouTube so the whole world could see how smart and brave he is.

Whatever the guy's intent, I don't understand why some people feel they need to be confrontational with a police officer who is being polite and simply doing his job. Some seem to think that being in your face/confrontational with the public and law enforcement will lead to greater acceptance of going armed (concealed or not concealed) however I believe such acts are much more likely to cause negative repercussions for and restrictions on the firearms community.

At the very least, the street corner is not the place to argue case law; he should have complied with the cop's questions/requests and then taken it to the courtroom or used an administrative grievance process to make his point.

In My Always Humble Opinion of course. :)

Edited by RobertNashville

After a Tennessee court ruled he “poses a material likelihood of risk to the public†and suspended his HCP; the Feds gave him an FFL.

As dumb as this sounds, I honestly can't say it's surprising

<edit> I do have to disagree with you on his ability to do research though, because after all, he was on the losing end of his own argument.

Edited by Sam1

I really don't care if this was Leonard or not. He CLEARLY knew his rights and the responding LEO could legally do nothing to him.

Cops have no right to detain someone without reasonable suspicion. In this case, they clearly had none. Some cops hate it when you know the law and they do not.

Public safety issue, my butt.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1