Bored with the range.

I'm new to TGO and I was wondering about competitive shooting. I have seen Idpa videos and am interested in it in the Memphis area. I don't know the rules and I'm 18 so can I compete?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the IDPA rule book................

Contestants may be anyone who can legally bear arms.

Juniors, ages 12 years through 20 years, may also compete in

IDPA matches when not prohibited by law and when allowed by

the hosting club. Additionally, the parent or legal guardian must

accompany the junior contestant during the entire match. (State

and Local laws vary and may be applicable....................

You've got to try it. Most people won't just jump into something that they've never done before. I think you'll find that the shooters in IDPA are just like those in practical pistol. Very willing to give a hand.

Guest rbrooks65

The Memphis Sport Shooting Association has IDPA matches two times per month. They are a great bunch of folks, and will be happy to help you get started. If it's not too far for you to drive, we have a match scheduled for 2:00 p.m. this Sunday in Jackson at the Tennessee Sports Foundation range. We'd be happy to have you join us.

Before any match there will be a meeting for new shooters. One of the Safety Officers will go over the basic commands and instructions. Before each stage the SO will explain the stage and answer any questions you might have.

As long as you practice safe gun handling at all times, any club will gladly welcome you. Most places run a "cold range," so it's best not to show up with a loaded weapon on your person. Only load your weapon when instructed to do so by the SO.

As mentioned above, you really need to try IDPA. Warning -- it's addictive.

Happy Shooting.

Guest rbrooks65

Anyone new to IDPA might find the following information from Music City Tactical Shooters helpful: http://www.mctsclub....PA_Shooting.pdf

A few things you will need, or might find helpful to have for your first match:

• Eye and ear protection
  • A pistol (9mm or larger) or revolver (.38 or larger)
  • Three magazines or speed loaders (a Barney mag also helps if you are shooting a .45)
  • Two magazine holders (or a double mag pouch) for your belt
  • 100-150 rounds of ammo
  • A concealment garment/shirt (though some clubs do not require you to wear concealment during hot weather)
  • A good, strong-side holster (IWB is fine; shoulder holsters or small-of-back holsters are not)

Remember to bring plenty of water or sports drink when it's hot.

Good luck!

Edited by rbrooks65

The reason for this provision at most ranges is because people over the age of 21 are legal to purchase handguns and handgun caliber ammunition. I know that you can legally own a firearm from a private sale but not from a gun store where a FFL has to be filled out.

How are you transporting the weapons you participate with to the ranges now?

I'm new to TGO and I was wondering about competitive shooting. I have seen Idpa videos and am interested in it in the Memphis area. I don't know the rules and I'm 18 so can I compete?

i do not think you can legally transport any handgun at 18, no expert, but would have someone in the car at least 21. my boys were shooting IDPA as members of idpa at 12 so you are old enough, but you must be safe enough.

Edited by RWF

I transport the handgun in my bag in the trunk and normally have the ammo in a different bag in my car. I've read this is ok since the gun can't be loaded easily. Also if I go into a range or competition the law says its legal if that is my only location I'm traveling to.

A barney mag is a mag that you use to chamber a round. After the round is chambered, you remove the barney mag and insert a full mag. It's useful in IDPA when your mag only holds 8 rounds, but you are starting the stage with 8+1. It's quicker than putting an 8 round mag in the gun, chambering a round, then removing the mag and putting another round in it.

Edited by deerslayer