Pellet Grills/Smokers

About three years ago I borrowed a pellet grill from a buddy - it was a Green Mountain Grill pellet grill. It was awesome. I cooked some steaks and burgers that were simply... well.. quite amazingly delicious. I didnt have to fool with charcoal, and I've never messed with a gas grill due to it making rather sub-par burgers. The steaks were perhaps the best I've ever put in my mouth, and my already amazing burgers (if I do say so myself) were about on the same level as on my Weber grill but oh so more convienent.

Fast forward to now, I'm about to pull the trigger on my own pellet grill. Back then there was only about two to three manufacturers of pellet grills - Green Mountain, Traeger, and I think MAK grills. Now there is about ten of them.

My question for the BBQ experts of TGO, does anyone have experience with pellet grills? Green Mountain I have lost my source for, and cannot order one online that I know of. I was going to buy a Traeger, but from my research they have in the last year or two outsourced their production to China, and the quality took a major hit so I'm not so much looking at them anymore. Currently looking at either a MAK 1 Star grill or a Yoder YS480 model. Both of these are American made, and have rave reviews. Memphis Grill also has one that is in the same price range as the other two, but I cant help but think it's a handicapped version of their normal grill which is nigh $2k - which is more than I want to spend.

I figure I'm overanalyzing and would probably be just as happy with any of them, which is why I'm posting this. Anyone have one of this type of grill?

http://www.yodersmokers.com/images/YoderPellets_Summer2011.pdf is the specs on the Yoder.

http://www.makgrills.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=41&=SID#MOREINFO is the MAK

Edited by Metalhead

Has to be food-grade pellets. Well, I guess it doesnt HAVE to be, but non-food grade pellets are generally made with recycled material and could have things like varnish, paint, that kind of stuff in them. Not very good eats.

Ended up with the Yoder. Supposed to be here end of the week! I cannot wait!

I've had my treager for 6 years now and love it! Didn't know they started making them in China :down: , look forward to your ... wait for it... range report of your Yoder, Just recently bought a weber for simple quick meals but am lookng to upgrade the treager soon.

I've had my treager for 6 years now and love it! Didn't know they started making them in China :down: , look forward to your ... wait for it... range report of your Yoder, Just recently bought a weber for simple quick meals but am lookng to upgrade the treager soon.

From what I've read the older American made Traegers were bullet-proof. Once they started Chinese manufacturing they've had a whole host of problems, namely the igniter going bad on the first day of use and not being able to maintain a temperature very well. That's at least what made me go searching for something else, otherwise I was going to buy the Texas model Traeger.

What makes a gas cooked burger sub par?

Is it the lack of smoke and ash flavor?

If so, I love me some subpar burgers. I'm a "Taste meat, not the heat" kinda guy.

To each his own, it's hard for me to explain, but there is a tremendous taste difference to me between burgers cooked on gas vs charcoal.

• Like 1

Besides the fact that most folks do not know what a good hamburger should taste like.

So you're saying there's a difference in a good hamburger and one from McDonald's that you can feel clogging your upper intestines and body going into mild shock 7 minutes after consuming it?

:rofl:

So metalhead is now going to be a Pellethead?

I like the looks of the Yoder. I bought a Traeger a little over a year ago. I've enjoyed the heck out of it. I never really liked smoked meats but apparently that is because a lot of folks smoke it too heavily. The pellet smokers are generally a little lighter in the smoke application.

I really like filling the hopper, setting the temp, and going off to bed while it does it's thing.

I smoked 3#'s of ground turkey (used for taco meat) and 6 racks of baby back ribs today.

Academy sports recently started selling a Traeger clone. To support that they have private labeled what appear to be BBQr's delight pellets at a great price.

Enjoy and post some pics of your cooks, Mark

That Yoder looks like great stuff. The shipping weight is crazy. I use an electric smoker, and do my grilling over charcoal. Nothing close to the Yoder. You may need to take it to the store to realize its full potential. Guns, Leather, and Burgers. :pleased:

Academy sells pellets? That's good to know, I thought I'd have to mail order them.

Shipping kills you unless you are willing to buy a pallet at a time. Another good local source is Jeffco grills near Fesslers lane. He usually keeps a couple different brands and offers decent quantity discounts.

Mark

So many jokes, so little time!

Yeah I walked right into that one, didnt I?

So metalhead is now going to be a Pellethead?

I like the looks of the Yoder. I bought a Traeger a little over a year ago. I've enjoyed the heck out of it. I never really liked smoked meats but apparently that is because a lot of folks smoke it too heavily. The pellet smokers are generally a little lighter in the smoke application.

I really like filling the hopper, setting the temp, and going off to bed while it does it's thing.

I smoked 3#'s of ground turkey (used for taco meat) and 6 racks of baby back ribs today.

Academy sports recently started selling a Traeger clone. To support that they have private labeled what appear to be BBQr's delight pellets at a great price.

Enjoy and post some pics of your cooks, Mark

I'll be sure to post up a review of how it handles, once I learn the grill!