Ruger LCP Pocket Shot; Anyone carry this way for back pocket?

That looks like a ND waiting to happen.

For inexperienced or irresponsible gun toters I would agree. I'm a big boy though so I think I can handle it. Just looking for folks that carry this way to see what their experience is. I'm in the market for either a LCP or P238, and back pocket carry is what it going to be pushing me one way or the other with the motivation of ease of draw whilst not printing.

Edited by TMF 18B

I think it looks like the "wallet holster" that the at banned years ago. That's what it reminds me of anyway.

That's what I was wondering. What caused it to get banned? Didn't they say it turned the weapon into an AOW or something like that?

A good holster is suppose to cover the trigger, that one doesn't, get a Nemesis or something like that and carry it in your back pocket. Works just fine. That's what I do with my TCP.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Call me inexperienced or irresponsible, but I'm just not comfortable with having an exposed trigger in my pocket.

Agree with bkelm18.. I sometimes carry a Kel tec with a fully enclosed pocket hoster.

I had a friend that shot himself in the calf carrying a 25. Trying to get the weapon out when he was at home.

That's all fine and good about the trigger and all. I guess it boils down to your level of comfort.... kinda why I was asking if anyone out there had experience using this, not asking whether or not anyone here would use it.

BTW, this isn't an AOW or banned or anything like that. It's not a holster.

I like it. I understand the concern over the exposed trigger, but the LCP requires a long forceful pull to make it go bang. It would take a little practice learning to draw the thing properly. Day-to-day stuff, I would pull it just like a wallet.

I, too, would be leery about the lack of trigger coverage. I know you weren't asking for suggestions, but would you want to look at these alternatives? I've used both, probably the Galco more. Not quick draws, but it means I'll carry front/back as opposed to leaving them at home. Others may chime in with even better alternatives as well?

http://pocketholsters.com/index.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/594922/galco-pocket-protector-holster-ambidextrous-kimber-solo-carry-leather-brown

Cheers!

I, too, would be leery about the lack of trigger coverage. I know you weren't asking for suggestions, but would you want to look at these alternatives? I've used both, probably the Galco more. Not quick draws, but it means I'll carry front/back as opposed to leaving them at home. Others may chime in with even better alternatives as well?

http://pocketholsters.com/index.html

http://www.midwayusa...y-leather-brown

Cheers!

I'm kinda set on this one due to the size and how well it appears to maintain one consistent shape. I looked at a few others that could go in the back pocket, but the designs which break up the print are much bulkier, and the ones that don't would imprint the pistol grip on my back pocket. I've seen this on a range once, and I wish I woulda stopped to chat with the guy who was shooting it, but I don't like bugging people.

This set up is the only hold up from getting the LCP. Otherwise I'd just ankle carry and get something a little more solid like a P238. I'd really prefer the back pocket carry though. I sometimes find myself places where I'm not comfortable with my EDC being seen and I like this as an alternative.

I don't really like it either but I will play devil's advocate. To me wouldn't your back pocket kind of act as a holster? I mean you won't be carrying anything else in there with this and as long as you practice a "proper" draw for that method of carry I don't see a problem with it. I think the odds are very small that something will get in there and pull that long LCP trigger except your finger. If anything you will probably have to clean the gun more often as I imagine it will attract a little more dust than the usual holster. GO FOR IT!

I like holsters to cover triggers. I might as well not use a holster for my snub if I used a holster like that.

Well, once again it isn't a holster. Also, there are plenty of folks out there that carry their pocket pistols... well, in their pocket sans holster. This set up appeals to me for the reasons the above poster mentioned as the pocket is acting like a holster. The shape of the device prevents its movement in the back pocket, so the only threat of ND comes at the draw (as does with most NDs on any holster). If the pistol remains in the same position all the time (due to the design) then it is no different than drawing from an actual holster. The fact that it is always stationary allows for practice drawing to ensure proper trigger finger placement during draw. So as the firing hand goes in, the trigger finger would be parallel to the slide with the middle finger entering the "loop" thus giving you a point of contact to draw.

However, getting off topic, I was really hoping with all the LCP owners out there at least one or two would have used this in the past. Was really hoping for input from them.

That's what I was wondering. What caused it to get banned? Didn't they say it turned the weapon into an AOW or something like that?

From what I recall, I believe that concealing the entire gun and allowing it to be fired form within the "wallet holster" was what made the ATF rule it was an AOW. Same genius style of thinking that would consider bayonet lugs and flash suppressors evil once upon a time (and currently in some states), I reckon. If I remember correctly, what makes the one from the OP less evil and not an AOW is the fact that the slide is exposed. :rolleyes:

Well, once again it isn't a holster. Also, there are plenty of folks out there that carry their pocket pistols... well, in their pocket sans holster. This set up appeals to me for the reasons the above poster mentioned as the pocket is acting like a holster. The shape of the device prevents its movement in the back pocket, so the only threat of ND comes at the draw (as does with most NDs on any holster). If the pistol remains in the same position all the time (due to the design) then it is no different than drawing from an actual holster. The fact that it is always stationary allows for practice drawing to ensure proper trigger finger placement during draw. So as the firing hand goes in, the trigger finger would be parallel to the slide with the middle finger entering the "loop" thus giving you a point of contact to draw.

However, getting off topic, I was really hoping with all the LCP owners out there at least one or two would have used this in the past. Was really hoping for input from them.

You keep saying it's not a holster but the website calls it a holster (DeSantis Pocket Shotâ„¢ Holster). Not that I care that much if it is or not but I'm not carrying my Kel tec that way.

The law pretty much states this. If the gun is designed or configured to hide the fact it is a gun then it becomes a AOW. Like the HK briefcase guns, they are AOW's. And the same for pen guns because they resemble pens more than guns. Or the cellphone gun we seen a few years back, it is also a AOW.

You just can legally conceal the fact that a gun is a gun.

I think the key to this holster is the gun isn't hidden as completely as the other AOW holster from years ago.

I would love to build a suitcase gun just because but I am not willing to spend $200 to do it.

Dolomite

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I like mine that I've had over a year. It is held together with leather screws not sewn.

I had to enlarge the bottom hole a bit.

And just like any other carry method, I continually practice with it.

I was really hoping with all the LCP owners out there at least one or two would have used this in the past. Was really hoping for input from them.

Those that carry in your back pocket, is there any concern with fatigue of the composite gun from sitting on it anything? I have no experience with that, but I have had a few composite knives that eventually cracked from being in the back pocket.

I like mine that I've had over a year. It is held together with leather screws not sewn.

I had to enlarge the bottom hole a bit.

And just like any other carry method, I continually practice with it.

Thanks. How comfortable is it to shoot like that? Also, in your back pocket, is it small enough for the pocket to contain the width of it? I'm wondering whether it gets sorta "hung up" trying to draw it out of there.