Ruger LCP Pocket Shot; Anyone carry this way for back pocket?

TO everyone who is concerned with the exposed trigger...

Assuming the gun is in your back pocket, and there is no other item in the pocket, What on earth could possibly happen to accidentally discharge the gun?

I would think the only concern people would have would be on the draw... meaning that perhaps the shooter would accidentally get his finger on the trigger whilst drawing and have an AD. I'm not worried about that but I can see why some may be.

Those that carry in your back pocket, is there any concern with fatigue of the composite gun from sitting on it anything? I have no experience with that, but I have had a few composite knives that eventually cracked from being in the back pocket.

First off, let me start off by saying that I think this holster with an exposed trigger is a very bad idea. I trust myself completely, but accidents happen. And this looks like one of those accidents waiting to happen.

Back to your question. I pocket carry my LCP every day in a Desantis Nemesis. While walking around, it is in my back pocket. If I'm driving/riding in a vehicle, I remove it from my pocket and place it within reach. If I need to be sitting in places like work, restaurant, etc., I simply move it to a front pocket. Either way, it's extremely comfortable.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk 2

Edited by TripleDigitRide

I may be wrong, and I am sure I will be corrected if I am, but though the transfer for an AOW is $5, IIRC, the manufacture of an AOW is $200 unless you are an SOT.

Ahh, that's probably it, thanks.

<- (not NFA savvy)

I had one and used it for awhile but changed. It never really felt good in my hand and I couldn't get it to set right with my finger in the hole...hole too small. My LCP also kept sliding out of the holster when drawn. I carried it in both my front and back pocket.

I went to this in my back pocket and love it!

http://www.unclegeor...VideoDemos.aspx

Yeah, I dig that holster too. All the ones of similar design looked far too bulky. My main purpose was to have something that broke up the outline of the pistol but wouldn't be so bulky in the pocket. That looks to be the smallest one that I've seen. I think I'm sold on the LCP anyhow and will just get both holsters. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I dig that holster too. All the ones of similar design looked far too bulky. My main purpose was to have something that broke up the outline of the pistol but wouldn't be so bulky in the pocket. That looks to be the smallest one that I've seen. I think I'm sold on the LCP anyhow and will just get both holsters. Thanks for the link.

George is a good guy. Hand makes each holster. Watch his videos about drawing the LCP from the back pocket. I practiced this and it is real fast and easy.

Here is the ATF letter about this. It's been around a long time and can be found in several places on the internet. I got rid of my NAA & the wallet holster years ago to not have to worry about it.

Cherokee Slim

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Washington, DC 20226

E:CE:F:TE:RLB

MAR 13 1996

[Name]

[Address]

Dear :

This is in response to your letter of recent date to the Bureau of

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). In your letter, you request

information regarding the legality of several wallet type holsters

which you submitted of our examination.

As defined in 26 U.S.C. section 5845(e) of the National Firearms

Act (NFA), the term "any other weapon" includes certain weapons

capable of being concealed on the person. It is unlawful to make,

possess or transfer such weapons which are not registered in

accordance with NFA controls. Further, a maker of such firearms

who has not paid the appropriate special (occupational) tax is

liable for $200 making tax for each weapon produced and $5 for each

weapon transferred.

ATF has previously determined that firearms installed in various

types of wallets, briefcases, canes, etc. may be NFA firearms as

defined. The submitted samples are rectangular leather cases,

which measure approximately 5 1/2 inches in length and 2 3/4 inches

in height. They are designed to hold an American Derringer firearm

(Model DA 38) in a fixed position with openings in the leather so

that the derringer can be operated and fired while it is in the

case. When the derringer is installed in the case, the weapon has

the exterior appearance to other "wallet guns" which have

previously been determined to be NFA firearms.

- 2 -

ATF has previously determined that an American Derringer, Model DA

38, in and of itself, is a firearm subject to the provisions of the

GCA and is not a firearm subject to the NFA controls. The leather

wallet by itself is not subject to control as a firearm. However,

we have also determined that any person who might possess such a

derringer in combination with the wallet holster would be in

possession of a firearm subject to the purview of the NFA.

Any person who possess the combination would be in possession of a

firearm as defined in 26 U.S.C. section 5845(a)(5) of the NFA.

Such firearm is subject to the tax imposed under section 5821, and

the making provisions of section 5822 of the act.

Should the wallet holsters, as provided, be sold or transferred

separately from the derringers, we strongly recommend that you

advise customers regarding the status of these items.

If you would like to submit a redesigned or modified holster that

you believe would not be subject to the NFA when held in

combination with an American Derringer firearm, we will be happy to

examine it and provide you with the results. We would suggest that

the redesigned sample no longer resemble a wallet and the

modification should include cutting the top rear of the wallet,

thereby exposing the entire back strap and trigger guard area of

the inserted derringer. The cuts should follow the exact contour

of the frame of the pistol and not overlap to risk a disguised

appearance.

The samples which you submitted for our examination are being

returned to you under separate cover.

- 3 -

We trust the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry. If you

have further questions concerning this matter, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]

Edward M. Owen, Jr.

Chief, Firearms Technology Branc

Here is the ATF letter about this. It's been around a long time and can be found in several places on the internet. I got rid of my NAA & the wallet holster years ago to not have to worry about it.

Cherokee Slim

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Washington, DC 20226

E:CE:F:TE:RLB

MAR 13 1996

[Name]

[Address]

Dear :

This is in response to your letter of recent date to the Bureau of

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). In your letter, you request

information regarding the legality of several wallet type holsters

which you submitted of our examination.

As defined in 26 U.S.C. section 5845(e) of the National Firearms

Act (NFA), the term "any other weapon" includes certain weapons

capable of being concealed on the person. It is unlawful to make,

possess or transfer such weapons which are not registered in

accordance with NFA controls. Further, a maker of such firearms

who has not paid the appropriate special (occupational) tax is

liable for $200 making tax for each weapon produced and $5 for each

weapon transferred.

ATF has previously determined that firearms installed in various

types of wallets, briefcases, canes, etc. may be NFA firearms as

defined. The submitted samples are rectangular leather cases,

which measure approximately 5 1/2 inches in length and 2 3/4 inches

in height. They are designed to hold an American Derringer firearm

(Model DA 38) in a fixed position with openings in the leather so

that the derringer can be operated and fired while it is in the

case. When the derringer is installed in the case, the weapon has

the exterior appearance to other "wallet guns" which have

previously been determined to be NFA firearms.

- 2 -

ATF has previously determined that an American Derringer, Model DA

38, in and of itself, is a firearm subject to the provisions of the

GCA and is not a firearm subject to the NFA controls. The leather

wallet by itself is not subject to control as a firearm. However,

we have also determined that any person who might possess such a

derringer in combination with the wallet holster would be in

possession of a firearm subject to the purview of the NFA.

Any person who possess the combination would be in possession of a

firearm as defined in 26 U.S.C. section 5845(a)(5) of the NFA.

Such firearm is subject to the tax imposed under section 5821, and

the making provisions of section 5822 of the act.

Should the wallet holsters, as provided, be sold or transferred

separately from the derringers, we strongly recommend that you

advise customers regarding the status of these items.

If you would like to submit a redesigned or modified holster that

you believe would not be subject to the NFA when held in

combination with an American Derringer firearm, we will be happy to

examine it and provide you with the results. We would suggest that

the redesigned sample no longer resemble a wallet and the

modification should include cutting the top rear of the wallet,

thereby exposing the entire back strap and trigger guard area of

the inserted derringer. The cuts should follow the exact contour

of the frame of the pistol and not overlap to risk a disguised

appearance.

The samples which you submitted for our examination are being

returned to you under separate cover.

- 3 -

We trust the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry. If you

have further questions concerning this matter, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]

Edward M. Owen, Jr.

Chief, Firearms Technology Branc

This letter refers to derringer pistols being utilized within a holster whilst firing. I would think that if this particular set up was illegal according to the ATF the several dozen companies that sell them would know. I'll take my chances.

This letter refers to derringer pistols being utilized within a holster whilst firing. I would think that if this particular set up was illegal according to the ATF the several dozen companies that sell them would know. I'll take my chances.

Let us know what you think when you get it. I'm interested too.

I have one of these for my Kahr P380. I don't know if its the same brand or not, but they look the same.

I tried and tried to get comfortable with it, but found that while practicing pulling it out of my pocket (unloaded of course), I had a hard time avoiding the trigger. I could pull it from my pocket with a two-fingered grip, but then had to use my other hand to hold it and get it into a shooting grip. I never actually pulled the trigger during a draw, but came close enough to make me not want to carry with it. I also tried shooting with it at the range, and found that it throws your grip off enough to really screw with your accuracy.

It now resides in my holster-drawer, with a couple of other 'gimmicky' experiments. I use a Desantis pocket holster, and it works much better both in front or rear pockets.

I have one on an LCP and carry it daily. Depending on how your pants fit, it sits up and out from under your ass, so that you are not actually sitting on the gun. I guess if you had low cut jeans like a chick, you may actually sit on it, but being a man, I like to pull my pants up. When you do this, your pocket is tight and cloth doesn't make contact with the trigger.

I have shot with it on the gun and have no trouble with it. I have tried a front pocket holster, but having a lump that big in my front pocket is uncomfortable, and much more noticable.

I have carried mine for more than a year, same make and model as the one pictured. Bought it in Oak Ridge for $30 even. If you use the finger-flange floor plate, it pins the gun in the piece so that it can't slip out.

Removing the gun from your pocket is where you have to be careful, however, the gun and ammo doesn't weigh enough to pull the trigger...but I could see a freak scenario happening, so practice is needed. It is certainly safer to draw from than a Serpa!

I have one of these for my Kahr P380. I don't know if its the same brand or not, but they look the same.

I tried and tried to get comfortable with it, but found that while practicing pulling it out of my pocket (unloaded of course), I had a hard time avoiding the trigger. I could pull it from my pocket with a two-fingered grip, but then had to use my other hand to hold it and get it into a shooting grip. I never actually pulled the trigger during a draw, but came close enough to make me not want to carry with it. I also tried shooting with it at the range, and found that it throws your grip off enough to really screw with your accuracy.

It now resides in my holster-drawer, with a couple of other 'gimmicky' experiments. I use a Desantis pocket holster, and it works much better both in front or rear pockets.

I have one on an LCP and carry it daily. Depending on how your pants fit, it sits up and out from under your ass, so that you are not actually sitting on the gun. I guess if you had low cut jeans like a chick, you may actually sit on it, but being a man, I like to pull my pants up. When you do this, your pocket is tight and cloth doesn't make contact with the trigger.

I have shot with it on the gun and have no trouble with it. I have tried a front pocket holster, but having a lump that big in my front pocket is uncomfortable, and much more noticable.

I have carried mine for more than a year, same make and model as the one pictured. Bought it in Oak Ridge for $30 even. If you use the finger-flange floor plate, it pins the gun in the piece so that it can't slip out.

Removing the gun from your pocket is where you have to be careful, however, the gun and ammo doesn't weigh enough to pull the trigger...but I could see a freak scenario happening, so practice is needed. It is certainly safer to draw from than a Serpa!

Thanks for the well thought out reviews guys. I can see how there would be concern for hitting that trigger while drawing, especially with a little adrenaline sprinkled on top. I think I'll still give it a try, and if I'm not comfortable with it I'm only out 40 bucks and someone gets a freebee on the pay it forward thread. Either style holster looks to require a lot of practice to get it right.