Why Mexican carry is a bad idea...

Investigators determined that the victim was returning home with Poindexter when a .45-caliber gun he had in his waistband fell. The victim accidentally pulled the trigger when he reached for the gun, shooting himself in the leg and rupturing an artery.

http://www.thetrutha...ther-teanecker/

A good quality holster is MUCH cheaper than the medical bills incurred from irresponsible carry.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Investigators determined that the victim was returning home with Poindexter when a .45-caliber gun he had in his waistband fell. The victim accidentally pulled the trigger when he reached for the gun, shooting himself in the leg and rupturing an artery.

http://www.thetrutha...ther-teanecker/

A good quality holster is MUCH cheaper than the medical bills incurred from irresponsible carry.

Even an Uncle Mike's is better than Mexican Carry.

Also a lesson in never trying to catch a falling gun. I'd rather have a marred finish than a hole in my gut.

When I took my HCP course our instructor made sure to make this point. He told us about a different incident where someone tried to catch a falling gun and shot himself in the leg. He also told us where he was at a training session/conference of some sort and got to throw a glock at a wall repeatedly just to see if it would go off (it was loaded with just a primer - not a loaded gun).

Just let it hit the ground.

Guest Lester Weevils

An ersatz holster idea that might work for several kinds of guns-- I wouldn't carry with it off the property with the current gun, but might work good with more-carryable smaller pistols--

Lately been using a cougar for bedside and desk gun. Occasionally put it in the pocket to answer the door and such. Never bought a holster for it because cougar is a little fat and heavy for carry but isn't very long and sits in a front pocket pretty well if you aren't worried about concealing a heavy fat lump. Been pocket-carrying a P9 with uncle mikes pocket holster that works good. The P9 is not a much shorter than the cougar (both have about 3.6" barrels) but P9 is lots thinner and lighter and isn't so noticeable in a front pocket.

Anyway, I just needed something to keep the cougar from getting scratched up and cover the trigger, though a cougar isn't very likely to accidentally go bang if the safety is on, and the safety isn't likely to accidentally switch off. I have a bunch of glasses cases, get one free with every pair of glasses for years and I hardly ever use em so they are all brand new in the drawer. Took a large padded nylon fabric glasses case (for big glasses)-- The common kind of soft-side glasses case stitched closed on 3 sides and open on one end.

This case doesn't have a shirt pocket clip but maybe in some cases a clip would come in handy, dunno. Anyway all I had to do is pull out an extra inch of stitches out of one side, and it fits the cougar just as pretty as you please. The glasses case covers the slide, the entire trigger and covers the safety and to the back end of the slide. Increasing the length of the "slit" on one side lets the case slip over the grips so it can go all the way back and entirely cover the slide.

An uncle mike pocket holster is not expensive, but the glasses case was "free" and keeps the gun from getting dinged up, covers the trigger, and occasionally carries in front pocket. If somebody wanted to modify a glasses case for "serious pocket carry" maybe could attach skateboard tape or something else grippy on the outside, so it would stick to the pocket better in a draw.

Come to think of it, the stiffer leather or fake leather glasses cases might be suitable to cut down and customize for mouse guns and rat guns pretty nicely? Glasses cases usually have a "slick" interior lining because scratched glasses are even worse than scratched guns. Hmm, haven't looked at how firmly the pocket clips are attached to the cases. Possibly a cut-down well-made glasses case with pocket clip might make a not too shabby occasional-use IWB holster for the smaller-lighter guns?

Also a lesson in never trying to catch a falling gun. I'd rather have a marred finish than a hole in my gut.

I agree but it's easier said than done. The natural reaction is to reach for falling objects. At least for me.

Guest bkelm18

I agree but it's easier said than done. The natural reaction is to reach for falling objects. At least for me.

I've dropped my gun maybe 3 times. Every time I threw my hands straight up in the air like I was being robbed. I looked like a dang fool but my hands were nowhere near that trigger :).

I've dropped my gun maybe 3 times. Every time I threw my hands straight up in the air like I was being robbed. I looked like a dang fool but my hands were nowhere near that trigger :).

Yup. Generally when I drop something breakable, I try to reach for it. But on the multiple occasions I've dropped a sharp blade, I jump back and try to avoid it. I've only dropped a gun a couple times, but it's a jump and a cringe. Maybe I'm more prone to "survival" instinct than to "natural" instinct.

The first time you grab the busy-end of a falling pair of blacksmithing tongs you learn the hard way to let things fall. Looking like an idiot while you pick up your hot iron (or shootin' iron) is better than BLEEDING like an idiot while you wait for the ambulance.

Edited by Viracnis

I'm not so sure it's in OUR best interest to tell THEM it's a bad idea. Think about it. We all know stupid shouldn't be allowed to breed. Look at how contaminated the gene pool is now. A pistol going off in the crotch of a person stupid enough let it happen removes one potential breeder from circulation.

But there's a bigger picture here. If we want things to get better, it's not a better president we need, it's not a balanced budget or any of that. We HAVE to stop helping stupid people. Allowing them to render themselves extinct will increase our quality of living by an order of magnitude.

The first time you grab the busy-end of a falling pair of blacksmithing tongs you learn the hard way to let things fall. Looking like an idiot while you pick up your hot iron (or shootin' iron) is better than BLEEDING like an idiot while you wait for the ambulance.

^This.

I dropped a loaded SP101 on my big toe out of a shoulder holster one time. Hurt like hell! And I didn't try to catch it then. Actually, that was kind of fortunate it hit my toe, since I was on concrete at the time and it might have scratched it.

I bet most of us have carried mexican at some point. I only like to carry large auto that way and I have always have a good belt on. I don't understand how gangbangers, with their droopy drawers, carry mexican. Looks like their pants and the pistol would be down around their ankles.

Edited by Moped
Guest nowheretobefound

Pro gun blogs and sites love to run those type of stories when they get the opportunity, how else are they going to get holsters to review!

It's funny they don't talk about all the law enforcement and investigative officers that have carried "sans holster" for decades and decades while working on and with undercover teams or units within the military (as was my case) investigators and teams that are classified civilian status during missions.

Guest Lester Weevils

A city detective, nice fella, taught the carry permit class. He was talking about holsters, related a story of him plain-clothes investigating possible burglar fencing thru a little store in a part of town most people wouldn't willingly go. Anyway for whatever reason he said he decided to "pop in" to the little store most likely full of low-lifes and he stuck the gun sans holster in the back of his pants. He was in the store pretending to ask directions. The gun slipped under his belt down into the seat of his pants and it was trying to fall down a pants leg. He had to "back out" of the door acting kinda strange to keep people from seeing the gun in his pants, and also keep it from falling down the pants leg onto the ground.

Guest nowheretobefound

A city detective, nice fella, taught the carry permit class. He was talking about holsters, related a story of him plain-clothes investigating possible burglar fencing thru a little store in a part of town most people wouldn't willingly go. Anyway for whatever reason he said he decided to "pop in" to the little store most likely full of low-lifes and he stuck the gun sans holster in the back of his pants. He was in the store pretending to ask directions. The gun slipped under his belt down into the seat of his pants and it was trying to fall down a pants leg. He had to "back out" of the door acting kinda strange to keep people from seeing the gun in his pants, and also keep it from falling down the pants leg onto the ground.

Guess that boy had a poor skill set.

Guest Lester Weevils

Guess that boy had a poor skill set.

He claimed that experience dissuaded him from mexican carry. It was a "cautionary tale".