Name that gun!

strickj

Guest bkelm18

No slide release. I would say it is clearly not a gun.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Could be some single shot "Liberator-esque" type pistol.

Also the distance between the barrel and the trigger, height-wise doesnt have room for a recoil rod and recoil spring assembly.

Its possible to use the barrel as the recoil rod, with a spring around it. My makarov does this, for example --- but that means a fixed barrel blowback pistol, so it would have to be a light caliber, it would be a handbuster in 9mm or stouter.

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno if its a fake or whatever, but looks like a fixed-barrel blowback gun? My AA 1911 .22 adapter and CZ Kadet .22 adapter are built just like that (basically). Only part of the back slide blows back and the rest is fixed. Isn't it "something like that" on Desert Eagles, except in that case its gas-operated?

I'm pretty sure it isn't a NAA pocket pistol, but my NAA .380 blowback gun isn't too far removed from that concept. (The NAA has no mag release either)

Edited by Lester Weevils

desert eagle has 2 recoil rods each with a spring. The barrel is fixed. It is gas operated. Wife's cz kadet is fixed barrel but it does have a recoil rod and spring in it as well, but as you said only part of it moves. Again the closest thing I can think of are blowbacks that have the spring around the barrel with no rod at all, there isnt room for one as someone else noted.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks Jonnin. Yes maybe the illustrated pistol is just a fantasy prop, but it looks like somebody "had kind of a realistic idea" about a blowback mousegun. Dunno much about small guns, but my little .380 NAA has the fixed barrel and moving back-slide. A well-built beautiful little difficult to shoot pistol. The barrel is cut out of the same piece of steel as the frame. It has a thin slot machined under the barrel and above the frame, that a front-piece of the slide rides in. There is no guide rod, but in that narrow slot there is a cylindrical central hole that contains a "double spring" a little recoil spring slid inside a bigger recoil spring. The spring can't jump out of its groove when compressed. The main brunt of the blowback slide is behind the back of the barrel, but there are "wings" of the slide that extend up to the front on both sides of that squared barrel which is machined out of the same piece of metal as the frame.

Actually I just described the little mystery pistol in the original picture, except that obviously isn't a NAA Guardian.

This (kinda bad) NAA Guardian Video, and also a much better Seecamp dissasembly video showing the Seecamp very similar configuration.

[media=]

Edited by Lester Weevils

It may not necessarily be a fake; it just says “Non-descriptâ€. It has a name on the side of it if anyone can make it out… looks like “Something†Engineering.

I copied the pic from the linked article that shows the side of the slide into Microsoft Word (just because that was the easiest way to do it) then made the picture larger until I could read what is engraved on the slide. The words are "Russell Engineering" with the 'R' in Russell being as tall as both lines of the remaining letters. A search indicated that there really is a company called Russell Engineering but they are a construction firm (apparently build bridges and other, large scale projects.) I could find nothing about a firearm with 'Russell' as the manufacturer. Maybe someone else can.

I also noticed that in the pic, even with the slide fully forward, there is a huge gap at the side of where the 'chamber' would be. Something about the grips make me think that they are from a real gun, though - I can't put my finger on the exact gun but I feel like I have seen a gun with grips and a grip angle like that. I think it was an old .32 of one kind or another and have to wonder if maybe the prop master took the frame from an old gun that was missing pieces and simply mocked up a fake slide assembly for it. Then, again, something about the trigger position doesn't look right, either - it looks like the rear of the trigger sits too close to the frame. Of course, maybe this is the 'hammer down' position and the trigger would move forward if the hammer were in the 'cocked' position.

Edited by JAB
Guest Lester Weevils

Cigar Lighter ? :screwy:

Innovative idea! Maybe so.

Recalled hearing of accidental shooting mistaking a real pocket pistol for a lighter, googled and found at least three incidences where that was at least CLAIMED to be the case. Only went 2 pages deep in the search. Maybe many more?

www.lumpkincounty.gov/dept/FireEMS/.../Toylike%20Lighters.pdf

In 2006, a South Carolina woman shot herself in the hand while attempting to light a cigarette with what she thought was a pistol-shaped novelty lighter.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/07/mom-accidentally-shoots-daughter-with-cigarette-lighter-shaped-gun.html

A Banning woman accidentally shot her 12-year-old daughter after pulling the trigger of a miniature revolver she had mistaken for a novelty cigarette lighter, authorities said Thursday.

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/sep/13/police-identify-woman-shot-by-man-who-mistook/

Corpus Christi police have identified a woman shot and killed Friday night by a man who told police he thought he was pulling the trigger of a gun-shaped cigarette lighter.