Sights for XD-9

shaftbass

I want to replace the sights on my XD-9. I don't specifically need low profile or night sights since I don't carry this gun.. it's just a gun for going out and shootin' ****.

What can I get for around $50?

What's the best way to replace them? Obviously you disassemble, but then is the slide put in a vice (with padding) while the sights are hammered out? What's the best tool to use with a hammer to get sights in/out with?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.heinie.com/cart/index.php?cPath=9_14&osCsid=5d8a1bfda2945e1ebe343dd47fd841c0

Heinie Slant Pro sights. $51.60.

I haven't installed a set on an XD but I'm sure someone has.

If it's a standard dovetail cut just get some plastic punches and go to work. It that doesn't do it you can move to brass punches. Or you can buy a $300 sight pusher. I don't think you'll need to be too careful because there aren't any tritium viles to break. You will want someone to hold the slide for you. If you use brass be careful because it will mark. Make sure you lub the sight before pushing it in. If the cut is loose use red loctite. And don't break the front sight.

What's wrong with the stock sights?

A friend of mine had to move the rear sight on his XD45 and he couldn't get it to move. Springfield told him to send it to them and they would do it for him. A local gunsmith told him to put it in a vise and knock the living daylights out of it and not to worry as it was impossible to do any damage. He did as told and finally got the sight to move to where he wanted it. But he was shocked at how hard he had to hit it.

XD sights are very hard to remove and install. Franklin Gun Shop did the sights for Hornet Handler here on TGO. I believe the charge was $45 and they did it while he waited.

That sounds like the best way to go if you don't want to do it yourself.

Yep, XD sights are in the dovetails REALLY TIGHT. A friend of mine moved the sights on my sub-compact and he thought that he was going to break his sight pusher. Another trick that helps is to put the slide in the freezer overnight and then they will push a little easier the next morning. I have Tru-Glo TFOs on my service XD and like them.

I don't know. They'll probable just put them in the middle.

How does it shoot now? If the sights are to your liking are they in the middle of the slide? If so it probably doesn't even matter.

• Administrator

Reef, AJames over on XDTalk will install and laser boresight and sights that he installs on your slide for free if you buy the sights from him. He also does this for a $15 fee which includes return shipping if you just send him your slide and sights.

https://www.shop.xd-hs2000.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=26&categoryId=15

He's down in Alabama so I bet turnaround would be really quick.

I don't know. They'll probable just put them in the middle.

How does it shoot now? If the sights are to your liking are they in the middle of the slide? If so it probably doesn't even matter.

4" left at 10 yards. Before anyone says anything, yes, I know how to shoot. It's the gun.

The sight is noticeably moved a little according to the centering marks on the slide, probably to compensate for the previous owner's inability to shoot straight because it shoots so far over. I was thinking that if I'm going to mess with the sights I might just replace them while I'm at it.

Thanks for the link Tungsten. I'll check that out!

• Administrator
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27942

;) I think I would rather fork out the cost and have it done local.

Countless XDTalk members have used him with success. I think this is the case of a vocal minority getting air-time because they were unhappy with something. Kind of like how Delk gets the shaft a lot on Tennesspeed because a few people don't like them or something they did, but countless others you never hear from are tickled to death with them.

AJames has gotten nothing but praise from 99.999999% of the people who have used him.

Holy balls, I called Rivergate Guns and Knives, they wanted $75.00 just to install sights ;) Overcharging bastards.

I'm still considering Tungsten's link.

I'm considering just getting a punch and knocking the stock sight back into place and calling it a day. It only needs to move about 1.5mm.

I had AJames do my sights on my Service XD. I bought the sights from him and he installed them for free. Took about a week or so and they're dead on. I've also heard of horror stories from other people about him, but I had nothing but good service.

That looks like it would work. Like I said earlier, it might be easier on you if you freeze your slide the night before. The metal contracts a minute amount when it gets cold and might be easier to push your sights. I know that it worked with mine after the freeze method and with it room temperature they wouldn't budge with a sight pusher. The guy that I bought my Sub-Compact off of had night sights on it and took them off before he sold it and put the stock sights back on and they weren't straight. My Service is the one that I sent to AJames and had the TFOs installed.

Reef, AJames over on XDTalk will install and laser boresight and sights that he installs on your slide for free if you buy the sights from him. He also does this for a $15 fee which includes return shipping if you just send him your slide and sights.

https://www.shop.xd-hs2000.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=26&categoryId=15

He's down in Alabama so I bet turnaround would be really quick.

I sent him an e-mail. I think I'm going to get some new sights anyways and just have him install them. The thread that CF posted scares me a bit, but there are always unsatisfied customers no matter where you go.