I have converted

Guest Jvanhoosen

Guest Jvanhoosen

I recently purchased a Charter Arms 327 Patriot on Friday. It felt so good in my hands that today I went back to The Gun Room and picked up a Smith and Wesson 637 in 38 Special. Why didnt I find wheel guns earlier.

They are fun to shoot. I just bought my 2nd S&W. I have a 686 w/4" barrell and a 66-2 w/ 2.5" barrel. Both are .357 magnums but I like that I can shoot 38's in them both. I never plan to carry the 686 but now that I've added the shorter barreled 66-2 I might just have to get a good holster and take her out for a spin!

once you have felt the trigger on a half decent, even cheap SA revolver, every auto feels like :poop: until you get into the multiple thousand dollar stuff. Or even a good DA/SA, once cocked, the tight, short, light pull is just 1000 times better than any auto. I can forgive a lot of aggravation (cocking, reloading, etc) to get that trigger, and that is the real reason why I love a good revolver.

once you have felt the trigger on a half decent, even cheap SA revolver, every auto feels like :poop: until you get into the multiple thousand dollar stuff. Or even a good DA/SA, once cocked, the tight, short, light pull is just 1000 times better than any auto. I can forgive a lot of aggravation (cocking, reloading, etc) to get that trigger, and that is the real reason why I love a good revolver.

Not true. Many can make their "auto" triggers just like a revolvers, many just don't choose to do so as they carry thier "autos" and don't want a hair trigger. So many options these days for trigger jobs and with different spring rates from trigger to firing pin to recoil springs, revolver triggers aren't 1000 times better nor do you have to have "multi-thousand" dollar guns to get such a trigger in an auto.

With that being said, I had a S&W 586 that I sold on here a while back that had the crip clean break trigger most competetion people would love. DA or SA the trigger pull on it was fantastic and it definatly was a one helluva shooter. I'm not a huge revolver guy but I know they have and have had their place in history. Revolvers are great but just like auto's, there isn't a one beats the other over all

There are a lot of trigger jobs out there, yes. But most autos cannot be set have zero pretravel due to the reset. I have been there and done that --- on most autos (not all, but most) if you tighten up the trigger so that it has zero pretravel, it will not reset without additional action work ($$$$ here and not easy to DIY for average people). By the time you do that additional work, you will have invested enough money in the gun to have bought the revolver already. Take just my ruger mark 2 .... $100 or so (whatever it was) got me a volquartsen kit, but same story ---- with only the trigger kit, if I tighten it up so that it has no pretravel, it will not reset and becomes a single shot gun. Backed off until it would reliably reset, it has a small but noticable pretravel.

Out of the box, my SA .22 blackhawk still has a better trigger than the modified and greatly improved ruger mark 2. It has a better trigger than the hammerli I tried. It has a better trigger than every 1911 I have shot except one (which was a $2500 gun). If you know of some way to remove the pretravel slop from the autos for cheap, share please!

There are a lot of trigger jobs out there, yes. But most autos cannot be set have zero pretravel due to the reset. I have been there and done that --- on most autos (not all, but most) if you tighten up the trigger so that it has zero pretravel, it will not reset without additional action work ($$$$ here and not easy to DIY for average people). By the time you do that additional work, you will have invested enough money in the gun to have bought the revolver already. Take just my ruger mark 2 .... $100 or so (whatever it was) got me a volquartsen kit, but same story ---- with only the trigger kit, if I tighten it up so that it has no pretravel, it will not reset and becomes a single shot gun. Backed off until it would reliably reset, it has a small but noticable pretravel.

Out of the box, my SA .22 blackhawk still has a better trigger than the modified and greatly improved ruger mark 2. It has a better trigger than the hammerli I tried. It has a better trigger than every 1911 I have shot except one (which was a $2500 gun). If you know of some way to remove the pretravel slop from the autos for cheap, share please!

The first two guns, you speak of are .22 revolvers....however, I suggest you research a bit more on "trigger accomplishments" of gunsmiths of all types, makes and models. What you will find is your answer to "pre-travel" and "over-travel" on many if not just about all the firearms out there. Not just revolvers or autos or rifles but crossbows and other "trigger fired" items. You don't have to have a $2500 firearm to have a great trigger nor do most people spend that much on them. Just sayin....

dont ever pick up a model 19 smith if you do you well be hooked

I own a 19-2......twas my Papaw's service weapon for Knox City/County. It is a great revolver and glad it got passed down the family line. It's one that will never leave, but be passed down to my kids.

Edited by kwe45919
Guest Jvanhoosen

I know I am new to the whole revolver movement but I just love the simplicity of it. No worries about jams or stovepipes. You pull the trigger it goes bang. Dont get me wrong I have always had semi autos be it a Glock, Springfield xD and even a Sig. But with a wheel gun my thought is if I cant stop them with 5-6 rounds what makes me think that I can stop them with 8-15. More is not always better lol.

As a long time revolver fan boy and a fella who can do credible action jobs on S&W, Ruger or Dan Wesson double action revolvers there are revolvers and then there are REVOLVERS!! Like my little 64oz "precious" pictured below:

DW156inEWKshroudwrailMillet3MOA.jpg

Edited by graycrait
Guest Jvanhoosen

Very Nice grey. Also looking for a reputable gunsmith in the Nashville area that can do a decently priced trigger job on both my new purchases. Not wanting anything fancy just smooth it up a bit.

Guest Scramasax

Want a good shooting handgun. Try a good old S&W N frame. Heavy to carry if you are not used to it but worth the effort. Also love my Python. Nice things about plinking with mid range wadcutters in large frame revolvers, .22 recoil and large enough holes I can see. My Rhinos have a good trigger and the recoil with any load is interesting.

Part of the sport is enjoying the variety of options out there. Besides, have you ever seen a golfer with only one club?

Cheers,

ts

Walther PPQ has a .10" reset. .40" initially. I have one in 40 S&W...awesome trigger.

I know I am new to the whole revolver movement but I just love the simplicity of it. No worries about jams or stovepipes. You pull the trigger it goes bang. Dont get me wrong I have always had semi autos be it a Glock, Springfield xD and even a Sig. But with a wheel gun my thought is if I cant stop them with 5-6 rounds what makes me think that I can stop them with 8-15. More is not always better lol.

I have and sometimes carry semiautos. There are a couple I really like. If for some horrible, nightmarish reason I had to choose between them and my wheelguns, well, let's just say I'd probably miss the bottom feeders a little once they were gone.

Edited by JAB

The one of the most accurate handguns I own is a Ruger Bisley Vaquero with fixed sights. I have been enjoying my revolvers more and more lately too. They are some much fun to shoot! A man armed with a .357 magnum revolver, is a well armed man.

Guest smileyguy

Nothing is always the best all of the time. Something that's the best for one application may lack in an other. True that a SA or cocked revolver has a light, short, crisp trigger pull in comparison to an auto, but that does not always make it better for a given task. Most would probably find them superior for target shooting or handgun hunting, but I wouldn't want a SA revolver in a defensive situation. I certainly wouldn't take the time to cock a DA revolver in a defensive situation. I think an auto with a light, short pull and a short crisp reset is a superior in a defensive situation. I've been itching to get the Walther PPQ that Grunt67 mentioned.

With that said, I enjoy shooting revolvers and autos and own several of each.

Guest smileyguy

Walther PPQ has a .10" reset. .40" initially. I have one in 40 S&W...awesome trigger.

Been wanting one of these really bad. It's a shame other manufacturers can't or won't make a trigger that sweet.

but I wouldn't want a SA revolver in a defensive situation. I certainly wouldn't take the time to cock a DA revolver in a defensive situation.

I don't see cocking a hammer being any slower than clicking off a safety. Both can be done while presenting the gun.

Guest smileyguy

I don't see cocking a hammer being any slower than clicking off a safety. Both can be done while presenting the gun.

How about getting off all six shots with that SA revolver as quickly as an auto? Criminals often travel in packs and don't often stop on the first shot. Not dogging revolvers. I love revolvers. I have two at my bedside along with a 12 gauge and another at the ready in the living room. Just being realistic.

As far as the thumb safety, I don't and won't own auto with a thumb safety unless it's a collector piece.

How about getting off all six shots with that SA revolver as quickly as an auto? Criminals often travel in packs and don't often stop on the first shot. Not dogging revolvers. I love revolvers. I have two at my bedside along with a 12 gauge and another at the ready in the living room. Just being realistic.

As far as the thumb safety, I don't and won't own auto with a thumb safety unless it's a collector piece.

It would be five for a true Single Action Army, as they are carried on an empty cylinder. This doesn't look all that slow to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vl9FniemlE&feature=related