.22 shopping. Need suggestions.

Guest twpayne75

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest twpayne75

The CZ 455 is designed to allow easy swapping of the barrel to a different weight or caliber. The 452 is not replaceable or at least not as easy as a 455.

Purpose will dictate what you get. If accuracy is the ultimate quest then the CZ or the Savage are what you want. They are about equal as far as practical accuracy goes but the CZ feels like a real gun. A 10/22 can be made to shoot as well as either of these but it will likely cost you close to twice as much to do it. CZ's also feel like a quality gun unlike the Savage. The Savage shoots well but it doesn't feel like a quality firearm like a CZ.

If it were me with my money to spend it would be the 455. They are great guns and every bit as accurate as anything mentioned so far. Plus you can get an extra barrel or two to suit other uses. It literally take about 5 minutes to swap a barrel on a 455. It has two screws that hold the barrel rigidly in the receiver.

Dolomite

I have decided I am not going with the Savage. I have found several CZ 452s on Rimfire Central like new for around $450. The savage would be close to that. I don't plan on changing barrels. So would I be better off with the 452 over the 455? Is there any major difference between the two? According to their website the 455 is replacing the 452.

Guest twpayne75

Post a WTB ad.

You generally get better deals if you find somebody wanting to sell something versus you asking to buy and they know you want what they have. That has been my experience anyway. A lot of times, even here, I see used guns listed for more than I paid for the same thing new. I guess somebody buys them.

I am in no hurry. The right one will come along.

Guest twpayne75

$450 seems a bit high when they are a lot cheaper new. Maybe they have accessories you are not mentioning.

If you don't plan on changing anything the 452 is just as good as the 455.

Dolomite

Forgot to mention, mainly I have looked at the varmint/heavy barrel models. And some of those did have scopes on them. I am going through the 452 and 455 models now getting familiar with each model so I know what I'm looking for.

Thank you for the advise.

Edited by twpayne75
Guest twpayne75

I cant speak for the CZ 455 but I own three 452's. Below is who I bought my 452's from. They have 452 American models on sale for $369 until they run out. Also a great selection on other CZ's in stock.

http://whittakerguns.com/

Never heard of them. But I see they have the 455 Varmint for $382.99. :yum: Wish they were closer. If I'm not mistaken you can buy a rifle out of state, just not a pistol. I will have to see what my LGS can get one for and see if it would be better to get it through them or to buy online and transfer.

Thank you for the heads up.

Whittakers is the best gun store in KY/TN region. You won't find better prices or a better selection. Don't hesitate to order from them and have it shipped to your FFL. You may also want to consider the 452 American for $369. I personally prefer a 452 over the 455, but that's just me.

Just know that their phone line is always busy. You will have to keep trying.

Edited by Hozzie
Guest twpayne75

Whittakers is the best gun store in KY/TN region. You won't find better prices or a better selection. Don't hesitate to order from them and have it shipped to your FFL. You may also want to consider the 452 American for $369. I personally prefer a 452 over the 455, but that's just me.

Just know that their phone line is always busy. You will have to keep trying.

The place I usually buy from locally is usually inline with Buds and other online places. I will check to see what they can get me one for first. If it was just the online price then I'm sure they would be the cheapest. But then you have to add the $25 shipping and the $25 transfer. I wish they were within driving distance. But as far as they are from me, I would have more in gas than I would shipping or the transfer. Trying to talk a buddy of mine into a road trip. There are a few guns on their used gun inventory list that he has been looking for.

Guest twpayne75

How is the bolt on CZ's? Is it slick? Similar to a 77/22?

Hopefully someone will come along shortly that has one with an answer. If noone has answered by the time I get my hands on one, I will. I have read they are fairly smooth to start with, but can benefit from some polishing to further slick them up.

My LGS has a .17 CZ, not sure of model, that I am going by tomorrow and look at. I will post my impressions of it here tomorrow.

Guest twpayne75

on a side note she has hit 200 yard steel with it :)

Very nice..........

Don't know who "she" is, but she has excellent taste and is a keeper. Those all look great.........even if they are pink.

I think my tacticool days are over. I have several examples of the above. But I find myself wanting this rifle to be normal.

When I told my wife I wanted a .22 she said "ok". Then she saw my laptop open to CZ's website a few days later. She asked if that was what I was wanting. I told her yes and she gave me this odd look. I asked her what that look was for. She said "that's just a regular rifle. It's not even black."

She said she was surprised I hadn't decided on the Savage Mark II TR. It looked more like everything else I owned.

I think I'm getting old. :surrender:

Very nice..........

Don't know who "she" is, but she has excellent taste and is a keeper. Those all look great.........even if they are pink.

I think my tacticool days are over. I have several examples of the above. But I find myself wanting this rifle to be normal.

When I told my wife I wanted a .22 she said "ok". Then she saw my laptop open to CZ's website a few days later. She asked if that was what I was wanting. I told her yes and she gave me this odd look. I asked her what that look was for. She said "that's just a regular rifle. It's not even black."

She said she was surprised I hadn't decided on the Savage Mark II TR. It looked more like everything else I owned.

I think I'm getting old. :surrender:

thanks, she is the "W" in RWF, Wanda, The M & P 15-22 was the 2nd rifle she had ever owned and look at her now. and Yes, we all are getting old, she was almost 50ish when she finally decided to give rifle a try.

the rifle on top, it was the cool facter, that got her to try center fire. it breaks down in 3 parts, with the both recievers together mag in place and fits into a standard lap top case. just wish i was a better teacher, that's why the eotech's.

Guest twpayne75

the rifle on top, it was the cool facter, that got her to try center fire. it breaks down in 3 parts, with the both recievers together mag in place and fits into a standard lap top case.

That's cool. Don't know that I have seen one. When I want something compact, I grab this. It fit's nicely in a tennis racket bag. And there is nothing wrong with an Eotech. :stunned:

STAGCOMP016.jpg

Guest twpayne75

I've been where you are seemingly at. CZ 452s are nice, I have had 2 or 3 of them over the years. If you get one make sure you get a Yo Dave trigger kit.

However, with a little thought you can build your own .22 for specific purposes.

dblArchangels.jpg

Stuff like that is what I'm trying to avoid. I just want to stay fairly simple on this one. If I can start rebuilding, then I will. I don't want to end up with a couple thousand dollars in a .22

Very nice rifles by the way.