7.62x54r

Guest Revelator

Guest Revelator

Just got an 880 round crate of Russian '46 production light ball from SG Ammo. I think it's from '46 because that number is on the outside. That makes it far and away the oldest ammo I've bought. Unlike crates I've gotten in the past this is not hinged, it's nailed shut all the way around and I haven't opened it up yet.

With shipping it came to 150. You can't beat that. I think unlike some surplus calibers 54r will be around for a while, but not at these prices. This is a good deal.

http://sgammo.com/product/surplus/880-rd-crate-762x54r-russian-1946-53-148-grain-light-ball-lead-core-magnetic-fmj-amm

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest darth_jbell

Just got an 880 round crate of Russian '46 production light ball from SG Ammo. I think it's from '46 because that number is on the outside. That makes it far and away the oldest ammo I've bought. Unlike crates I've gotten in the past this is not hinged, it's nailed shut all the way around and I haven't opened it up yet.

With shipping it came to 150. You can't beat that. I think unlike some surplus calibers 54r will be around for a while, but not at these prices. This is a good deal.

http://sgammo.com/product/surplus/880-rd-crate-762x54r-russian-1946-53-148-grain-light-ball-lead-core-magnetic-fmj-amm

Fired any of it yet?

I just got the dies for this cartridge a few weeks ago and can't wait to start cooking some new rounds. My 91/30s do so well with the cheap stuff I can't wait to see what some home grown stuff will do!

Just got an 880 round crate of Russian '46 production light ball from SG Ammo. I think it's from '46 because that number is on the outside. That makes it far and away the oldest ammo I've bought.

Sounds cool. I have a Mosin but I haven't done any bulk ammo purchases for it, yet - just a box or two of Russian 'current production' ammo or a twenty round bundle of surplus ammo here and there.

As for the oldest ammo I have bought - 8X56mm for my Mannlicher carbine. Nazi production with Nazi markings and dated 1938. Some was 'loose' but bought a couple of boxes of ammo in en bloc clips that were still in (sealed with the label), Nazi-marked boxes (have to have the clips for the gun to function properly - Mannlicher pretty much invented the en bloc loading system.) I actually haven't fired my rifle, yet, but my nephew has one just like it and his rifle and ammo came from the same place - they fire just fine and make just about as big a 'boom' as a Mosin-Nagant.

Guest darth_jbell

Sounds cool. I have a Mosin but I haven't done any bulk ammo purchases for it, yet - just a box or two of Russian 'current production' ammo or a twenty round bundle of surplus ammo here and there.

As for the oldest ammo I have bought - 8X56mm for my Mannlicher carbine. Nazi production with Nazi markings and dated 1938. Some was 'loose' but bought a couple of boxes of ammo in en bloc clips that were still in (sealed with the label), Nazi-marked boxes (have to have the clips for the gun to function properly - Mannlicher pretty much invented the en bloc loading system.) I actually haven't fired my rifle, yet, but my nephew has one just like it and his rifle and ammo came from the same place - they fire just fine and make just about as big a 'boom' as a Mosin-Nagant.

I don't know. MNs make a really big boom! Have you shot the 'carbine' models yet? M38 or M44? :-)

No matter what you're shooting, Surplus Firearms rock! History, Collectibility and good, clean fun at the range (unless you're shooting corrosive ammo) in a single package! Who could ask for anything more?