I hate showing my WalMart receipt too

Guest AmericanWorkMule

The person checking receipts at the door is only seeing if the receipt shows the correct time/date stamp. They aren't verifying all the stuff in your cart matches the receipt so your point above isn't valid IMO.

While they do not check everything and everyone, I have watched them dive in trash cans in shopping carts, etc. So your point is not valid. My eyes don't lie to me, Trek!

Edited by JohnC

The person checking receipts at the door is only seeing if the receipt shows the correct time/date stamp. They aren't verifying all the stuff in your cart matches the receipt so your point above isn't valid IMO.

+1

I worked at Wally World through high school as a cart pusher. You have a lot of interaction with those door greeters while doing that. I always enjoyed the conversations with the old folks because it always seemed that they had lived pretty interesting lives. Many were vets and I'm always interested in hearing history first hand.

One thing most of them had in common was that they were retired and were looking for something to do. Most didn't need the money, they just didn't want to sit around all day waiting for illness or death. One old vet would donate his entire paycheck to a charity. There aren't any employers willing to hire the elderly, so Walmart was the logical choice.

As I recall, they would check receipts for two things: date/time and items on the bottom of the cart. Many times people would forget that they had items on the bottom of their cart, and would forget to have the cashier ring it up. When I worked as a cashier there we had small mirrors opposite our registers to see if there was anything on the bottom. At least once a day there would be something a person wouldn't put on the belt and I'd have to remind them. It wasn't as if they were trying to steal, they just forgot. I've done this before as well.

So I don't think that Walmart is trying to treat folks like criminals. Checking the timestamp on a receipt is a big deterrent for those that fill up a cart with several hundred dollars in merchandise and just walk out. It's no different than if you pay to get in somewhere that stamps your hand when you leave, they verify your stamp on reentry to make sure you paid. I don't get outraged that they would do that. They have no reason to take my word for it.

I'm still surprised to hear about door greeters anyhow. There are 5 Walmarts in my area and none have had door greeters since Walmart did away with them last year. If they got them back I couldn't see me acting anyway but cordial with them.

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

From the different stories it sounds like policies vary by store? It is believable that wmart quit having greeter/checkers because a few times lately have walked out without seeing a checker, but am pretty sure my local wmart has em sometimes. Hmmm I usually go near-dark or at night. Seems lately maybe I see em sometimes on the way in but they are gone after I've dawdled in the store and it got late before checking out. Maybe they only run em in high traffic times, or maybe even depends on how many people came in to work?

I get along fine with em. Hope I wouldn't have a drama as described by sigmtnman because I like wmart but have been known to get mad and "permanently swear off" a company so would have to change habits if it happened to me. Haven't flown since maybe 2002 because of the same BS that chased off sigmtnman.

Would see the same greeters every week for years. Nice folks. Maybe procedures vary, but the only time I'd get checked was for stuff too big to fit in a bag. Canned dog food, big boxes, HVAC filters. They find all the stuff "not in a bag" and mark the receipt items with yellow hiliter. Sometime they wave me thru even with stuff outside a bag, most likely figuring if they hadn't caught me stealing the last zillion times, no sense looking again. Wife works at post office and there is the possibility of cameras you don't know about or postal inspectors you don't know about, to encourage honesty of employees. Ferinstance at the sorting warehouse if a worker sees five bucks laying on the floor he is well advised not to pick it up because it is most likely a trap that could get you fired. Dunno if walmart does the same, but sometimes the checkers seemed to check even if they didn't expect to find anything, perhaps because of the possiblity of "observation" dunno. Am not necessarily critical of "watching the employees" as long as they know its a possibility. Any thieves among the crew need weeded out.

I just want to clarify, that the greeter and I had a cordial exchange and I've never had an unpleasant interaction with one. I merely said "no thank you" and though she did follow me a couple of steps, after the second time I said "no thank you", she went back to her post. It was a customer who chased me to my vehicle. Perhaps my ambitious comment was misunderstood. Previously when in a hurry I would say no thank you and the greeter would just tell me to have a nice day or something similar.

In the end it's all good as I pointed out because we found that we bought more crap than needed when we went there and the food was never as good as what we can get locally grown.

Edited by sigmtnman
Guest motonut

I've found Best Buy to be far worse than WalMart. Best Buy checkers see you quite clearly come from the cash register lanes and still ask to see it. I walk right by them.

Most of what I buy from WalMart is ammo which they have to ring up in the sporting goods dept., I have no issue showing them the receipt as I'm walking out the door. I agree, shoplifting costs everyone, not just the store.

I just got back from a sams run. Stupid idiot door checker stopped my son when I sent him to get the truck ready for my load of stuff. He was empty handed and the moron stopped him as if he had broke some cardnil sin by just walking out without letting her know he was going to do so. :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Gotta start wearing these . . .

FunnyandStrangePeopleShoppinginWalMart67.jpg

I just got back from a sams run. Stupid idiot door checker stopped my son when I sent him to get the truck ready for my load of stuff. He was empty handed and the moron stopped him as if he had broke some cardnil sin by just walking out without letting her know he was going to do so. :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Guest motonut

I have never had trouble with best buy, been in a few times lately replacing cell phones and they just ask if I found everything ok as I left. This was Best Buy in turkey creek

Providence (Mount Juliet)