Any head to head comparisons between M&P Shield & Beretta Nano?

Guest motonut

Guest motonut

Thanks OS.

The editor of Shooting Times magazine reviewed the Shield in an issue and liked it so much he bought one himself (per the review).

Edited by motonut

Thanks OS.

The editor of Shooting Times magazine reviewed the Shield in an issue and liked it so much he bought one himself (per the review).

Great little pistola, but I don't quite get it.

It's an inbetweener: only single stack but not as small as Kahr PM/CM, only one more round. It's not a pocket gun. There are many in the same size/thickness single stack category, especially in 9mm.

So since ya need IWB/OWB, just a tad larger and thicker and heavier and you get in range of 10+1 Glock26 or 13+1 XD Subbie and beau coup other choices.

So it doesn't fit a niche for me at all.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Why is it not a pocket gun? I have one in my pocket right now..

Guess I should have said, "not a pocket gun for me". I and many other folks just won't carry over a Kahr PM size, and that's in cargoes.

Some people pocket a G26 even.

If it works for ya, goodie.

- OS

It's not a pocket gun.

I carry mine in my pocket in a DeSantis Super Fly. It's now my everyday carry and the DeSantis is the only holster I have for it. It conceals as well as my 642. But I did have to quit wearing spandex.

Guest No Ammo

I bought the 40cal Shield, a lot less recoil then my PF9, first 100 rounds with no problems, carry everyday in pocket holster

love this little gun

Edited by No Ammo
Guest dubaholic2

Have yet to fire either, but have fondled both. The Nano's grip is very short (2 fingers max) and it doesn't have a slide release. I personally don't like it at all. The Shield is a great feeling little pistol with a slide release and I can get a good grip on it. To me, it's a no brainer, considering they are the same price.

Yea nano is a DAO striker and really hard to fire, gritty and it just won't break in. Its the right size, its reliable and it works, but its no fun and they need to go back to the drawing board on the action.

I've heard that there are some issues with the Shield with failure to return to battery.

I've run hundreds of rounds through mine. It's a 9mm. JHP and FMJ, much of it cheap stuff like Tula and WWB. There have been no issues or failures.

A 40? Where?

I ran into one at Academy Sports in Rivergate about 2 weeks ago. They only had one and were asking $399. I really felt good in the hands. It took quite a bit of will power not to buy it but I want to give it a little more time in the market before I get one just in case there are any bugs to work out.

Edited by Trekbike

I ran into one at Academy Sports in Rivergate about 2 weeks ago. They only had one and were asking $399. I really felt good in the hands. It took quite a bit of will power not to buy it but I want to give it a little more time in the market before I get one just in case there are any bugs to work out.

Thanks I’ll have to keep an eye on Academy. They have them on their website for $399 (in-store), but I called the one in Franklin but they didn’t seem like they even knew what I was talking about. If I run into one for $399 it’s going home with me.

It's really funny that people are always saying that the magazine capacity of this or that pistol isn't enough. They want or need 13 to 15 rounds. Please tell me where you pistoleros hang out that you need that many rounds to feel safe. As a civilian, you better have one heckuva excuse if you discharge that many rounds in a confrontation. Now if you were in combat in the sand box that would be a different deal altogether. Out of curosity, how many here have EVER been in a gunfight in civilian life? I'll be 70 in October and I've carried for years and still haven't been in a gunfight. If the Lord continues to bless me, things will stay that way!!!

Edited by Dave Nowlin
  • Like 1

I handled a Nano a few weeks ago. Didn't like the trigger or the feel of the gun at all. I haven't seen the Shield in person but I'm almost certain I'd like the Shield more than the Nano. I really like the look and feel of the larger M&Ps that I've handled.

Edited by JReedEsq
  • Moderators

I have shot a 9mm Sheild and IMO it feels very much like a 9c when fired. Though I owned a Nano for an afternoon, I didn't fire it. I don't like the feel of it in my hand nor the trigger pull when dry fired. My overall opinion of the Nano is "meh".