Federal 100 round value packs

Guest Matt Pavo

Guest Matt Pavo

As many of you are likely aware, Wal*Mart started carrying the Federal 100 rd value packs in 9 mm (~ $19.97) and .40 S&W (~ $25.97) several months ago. Since, I have only been able to buy 1 pack of 9 mm, but the .40 had been pretty well stocked. The last visit I made, the .40 S&W had been taken off the list, meaning that they weren't going to be stocking them any more at that location (possibly others). That is quite unfortunate, since the next best deal is about $6/100 rds more expensive. Does anyone else who buys the 100 rd packs know anything about this?

Also for those who buy .45 ACP they have now started stocking 100 rd value packs for $25.97. That is by far the best deal I have ever seen on .45, let alone for brass ammo.

I haven't seen any 100 rnd 9mm value packs of federal or wwb at my walmart. Shelf is always empty. My walmart seems to be stocked pretty good on federal 9mm 50 round boxes though

I'll be sure to check for .45 the next time I go out there. I stopped shooting my .45 as the ammo was too high.

Can't find .223 unless it's Tula :(

Edited by Daps

Walmart in Murfreesboro has carried it but has discontinued it. The federal 50 rd boxes have seen their price increase too. I haven't seen the 100 rd boxes of .45 for that low of a price yet. Maybe soon I hope.

My local Walmart doesn't have those packs but they have been selling the federal 50 for 11.97 and 100 round winchester packs for 24.00.

If i ever see those .45 packs you speak of I'm cleaning them out !

I wonder what the deal is, same here at my local Wal-Mart?

I mostly shoot 12 ga., .223, .45, and 9mm. Every other trip there they might have one box of 9mm, .45 or .223. The counter person always tells me they sold out. This has been an on going thing since I moved here a few years ago.

Do you suppose they have a purchasing quota, never order enough?

Short of reloading, they're the cheapest source for ammo for me. Wish I knew someone nearby that reloaded to show me the ropes.

I do reload for .223, .45, and 308 but to me 9mm is right on the cusp of worth the time. Again just my opinion. I have looked into casting but have not taken the plunge.

As for Walmart and inventory, they probably get fulfilled from the vendor based on inventory rather than ordering themselves. Not sure if that is the case for ammo but I know that is the case for other products. If the system shows they have some in stock when they don't, two things occur. The buyers see that it is not moving and don't have time or bother to order more and the vendor sees they have many days on hand and does not push more to the DC for the store.

Again not sure if that is the case here but it never hurts to ask what the system shows on hand ( if you can find someone ). If the system is not correct, finding someone to correct it is even more difficult.

but to me 9mm is right on the cusp of worth the time

Brass off of the range = Free

115gr. Montana Gold = $.07

Federal Primer = $.03

4.4gr. of TiteGroup =$.01

$.11 x 50 = $5.50 per box vs. WalMart $11.97/50+Tax = $13.17 per 50

$13.17-$5.50 = A savings of $7.67 per 50 I shot IDPA Saturday and Steel Sunday = 500rd... Savings of $76.70 this weekend

Worth it to me! Caster, I know I could cut that down but I don't have the time... Right now, but someday

I cleared out Wal-Mart in Madisonville this evening of their $25.97 45 auto per 100. Noticed Fed. 9mm had gone from $11.97 to $12.97 box of 50. They had no more 100 count boxes of anything, but did have plenty boxes of 50. If anyone was looking for CCI in 22, wow they had some inventory!

If you really want to save you need to cast your own bullets. It doesn't take long to make a big pile of bullets. I now cast everything I shoot, thanks to Caster.

Because I cast, my 9mm costs me under .04 each and 45 ACP costs me under .05 each. And that is with expensive primers and not very miserly powder. I could use less expensive components and drop those costs by over .01 each.

A lot of people tune into the idea when they hear me say I can load 45 ACP for under $40/1,000. And those rounds shoot better than any budget ammo you can buy. I am getting ready to load 300 BLK for about .10 a round as well.

Dolomite

any of you that think there is not a coming ammo shortage just come by on monday when i call my suppliers.pistol ammo is still fairly easy to get but 223,308 is very hard to find even tula is in short supply .the larger wholsalers are starting to limit you to 5 cases of 223 .i dont sell much ammo so i dont have a dog in the fight.i deal with the 2 largest winchester jobbers in the country and they are telling me that there will be one more spurt of ammo next month then it will be hard to get .i dont know why i am not trying to sell anything just telling you what i am hearing

• Like 1
Guest motonut

I was just at the WM in Mt. Juliet on Thurs., picked up a WWB (100 rnd) of .38 and 9mm, I got the last box of each. Had plenty of the Fed 50 rnd 9mm and .45 still in the case. I went there for 357Sig but they only had (1) 50 rnd box, funny, lately when I've gone they've had plenty of 357Sig up until the day I wanted it. Lots of .380 in the case (I don't shoot .380). I've found MJ WM's supply runs hot and cold, sometimes they have lots of supply, other times not so much. Seemed to be well stocked on hunting rounds.

I asked the clerk about the Fed 556 in 420rnd cans, he said they got 3 in earlier but said they go very fast. Pretty sure they had a few 20/50 rnd boxes in the case though. (don't quote me on that)

I placed an order w/ SGAmmo.com and AmmotoGo.com, I'll be well stocked for a while.

Edited by motonut

The Walmart on Clinton Highway in Knoxville has 25+ boxes of the Fed 100 value pack in .45 ACP in the counter cabinet, i.e. not in the ammo case.

I have enough, for now, so I figured I would give some others a heads up.

Guest NismoFire

Smyrna Wally World has the 100rd valpaks I believe, as of Sunday. Not sure of caliber, as I was was just peeking in the case.

Here's why WalMart never seems to have ammo in stock- because ammunition is a "secured" freight, they only get one pallet of ammo every 3-4 weeks. I spoke to the sporting goods manager to see why they're always out, and that's what he said. Once it's gone for the month, they have to wait another few weeks to get another pallet. He also said that there isn't a specific date for this, unless he's pulling my leg just so I won't show up at midnight and wipe them clean.

Either way, I bought 1 box of the 9mm 115gr Fed 50rd and 2 boxes of Winchester PDX1 9mm 124gr (they were sold out of 147gr, which was my first choice) for ~$84, including $0.40 worth of Ammo Fees.

Edited by NismoFire

I stopped relying on WalMart to have stock in any caliber I use. Been buying off the net latley while it's stil decently cheap. 500rnds of anything these days cost around $130 to $200.....and it's only gona get worse. Wish I could really stock up but funds and other projects don't allow. I'm hopeing I have enough to make it through till Christmas or the first 8hrs or so of the Zombie apocolypse before ammo gets tight........

Edited by kwe45919

I do reload for .223, .45, and 308 but to me 9mm is right on the cusp of worth the time.

Brass off of the range = Free

115gr. Montana Gold = $.07

Federal Primer = $.03

4.4gr. of TiteGroup =$.01

$.11 x 50 = $5.50 per box vs. WalMart $11.97/50+Tax = $13.17 per 50

$13.17-$5.50 = A savings of $7.67 per 50 I shot IDPA Saturday and Steel Sunday = 500rd... Savings of $76.70 this weekend

Worth it to me! Caster, I know I could cut that down but I don't have the time... Right now, but someday

I have to agree with starion 73, here. I have just barely gotten started reloading but I think of it in the terms that time spent reloading 9mm would be time (and primers, for that matter) taken away from loading .38 (which costs more than 9mm and which I shoot much more than 9mm.) I haven't started loading .44, yet, but it presents an even greater potential cost savings over 9mm - and as long as I'm reloading for revolvers I don't have to police my brass!

For those reasons, with the current prices, I still prefer to buy any 9mm I shoot - which isn't all that much at present.

I eventually hope to cast for the couple of calibers I'm going to be reloading, though.

Edited by JAB