Please recommend a lever action .357 rifle

Links2k

Everyone knows that the range situation for shooting AR rifles in Memphis sucks. So, I want a pistol cartridge rifle that I can shoot alot.

I have zero knowledge about these rifles, but I know that I want one in 357. I only plan to use it at the range and for home defense if needed. I would like to stay under $800.

For what it's worth I plan use Hornady Leverevolution ammo. I have heard that it performs well in lever action rifles.

While we are at it, please tell about the Mares Leg. I have seen one and I may want to get both riles.

Thanks,

Links2k

I have a Marlin 1894c in .357 and love it. That said, I've heard they're hard to find and I've also heard complaints about QC issues in recent times. I bought mine back in 2000 for around $400, but I'm guessing you'll pay rather more for one now.

Other than the "Wow, they look kinda cool" factor I've never understood the Mares Leg appeal. As a rifle they have reduced magazine capacity, shorter barrel and no proper stock. As a pistol they're awkward and just not that useful. But hey, if you really want one there's no real required reason beyond "Cause I want it!"

• Like 1

The Winchester 94 Trapper from 10 to 20 years ago is awesome (not the new one with the brass). I had one in 44 Mag, that I sold to a buddy who needed a brush gun in Utah. It was fantastic, but I sold it wanting to get the 357, but never could find one. I saw one at a show in Knoxville last year and offered $650 for it, but the dealer wouldn't sell it because he had just taken it on trade and wasn't sure what it was worth.

I picked up a Rossi Model 92 recently, blued with a 16" barrel. Paid about $550 after tax. Had it to the range just once, but was hitting bullseyes at 100 yards without even messing with the sights. 38 special cycles a bit smoother than .357, but I'm guessing after I put a couple hundred rounds through it, should smooth out. Love it. BTW, some ballistics charts I've seen suggest that 16" is the optimum barrel length for .357.

• Like 1
Guest Papabear

I have several lever actions in .357 Mag. The Marlin 1894c is my personal favorite the action for me is bit smoother and I perfer the side eject. I have a Rossi trapper length that has turned out to be a real smooth gun after I did a little polish job on the action and replaced the springs. Rossi's from the factory have some really heavy springs in them. I bought one of the Rossi Mare's Leg's kind of on a impulse buy. It's a fun little gun to play with not real practical as either a handgun or rifle. But I have this past summer kept it on the tractor loaded with snake shot and with a one hand hold taken out two rattlers while cutting hay. All in all a .357 Mag lever gun is never a bad thing to have.
Edited by Papabear
Guest motonut

I have a Marlin. It is a sweet shooter. Add a set of springs and the XS sight and you will have a very nice carbine. http://www.brownells...L-SIGHT-SYSTEM#

I also have a Rossi in 44mag and one in 45colt. They are also lots of fun

I would also consider Williams Sights "Ace in the Hole". You have to really look for info on it, I don't understand why Williams doesn't feature it on their web site (it's on lthe cover of their 2012 Catalog).

I put it on my 336CS (30-30) but haven't shot it since.

Edited by motonut

I'd put in a recommendation for a Rossi 92. I picked up a stainless 16in model this summer for around $500 out the door. Smooth shooter, very accurate. The length of pull seems a little shorter than the marlins. My wife loves shooting it. The action gets smoother every time we take it out, and we take it frequently to the indoor range now. The 92 will toss some brass down range, due to the top eject. I hate loosing my 357 brass...

There has been a LOT of talk about the newer Remington made Marlin 1894's. Go over to Marlinowners.com and you can spend hours reading about it. The pre-rem models with the JM proof on the barrel are getting $600-700 now, and that will generally be for a lightly used gun. I just recently found an older 1894 Marlin in 357, and had to pay $600 for it. Haven't shot it enough to form an opinion, but for me it shoulders a little better than the Rossi (but I'm 6"4" and have a big wingspan).

Doubt you'll go wrong with any of them, 357 out of a rifle is super fun to shoot and easy to reload.

Edited by packingvol

I have a Marlin 1894c in .357 magnum that my Dad bought me when I was 16 for Christmas 27 years ago. The only thing I have ever done to it is add a sling and Williams Peep sight.

100_2567.jpg

It is one of my favorite guns that I have for many reasons. A real pleasure to shoot.

The sling (not pictured) holds about 18)?) pistol cartridges. I think it's an old Uncle Mikes. Don't think they make them any more. (Could be wrong.) I keep a few .357's, a few .38's and about 6 .38 shot shells in it.

100_2566.jpg

*Edit... HERE is pretty close to the sling I use. Holds the shells great. :)

Edited by creeky
  • Like 1

I also have a Marlin 1894c that I picked up at a show years back while I was scraping through college. It is an amazingly accurate, fun weapon to shoot. You can fire .38s (although you can almost eat a sandwhich waiting for them to go downrange) and with both it is a amazingly accurate weapon. Very lightweight and quick handling. Fun fun FUN weapon. It satisfies requirements as a brush gun and as one that just makes the little kid inside that wants to wear a cowboy hat smile.

I have had 1894c Marlins in 357 and 45 colt. Both were fantastic lever guns. I still have my 45 colt for some cowboy action shoots.

I tried the Rossi 92 in 45 colt, even with change in springs/polishing, it doesn't compare to Marlin 1894c.

Guest Papabear

I have narrowed my choices down to the Uberti Case hardened 1873 short and he Marlin 1894 CSS.

I have the Marlin 1894 CSS I like it alot. The stainless looks good and makes it very good all weather gun.

+1 on the Marlin 1894. Feeding is smooth, side ejection is nice, and the millwork seems to be very high quality. I have actually cut myself cleaning as the edges are so crisp the can be sharp when you disassemble. It is also nice that you can feed it .38 special to help keep plinking / target practice costs down.