Elderly CC'er defends Internet Cafe

Guest Matt Pavo

I guess what I'm saying is that I know what I would do if I had the ability to think it out as I'm sitting behind a keyboard. I realize, though, that this all occurred in a matter of seconds, and the defender here was not expecting this to happen. He was just playing poker on a computer when two armed men came and threatened his life and the lives of the people around them. If anyone here thinks that in those few seconds you will make all the "right" decisions then you are kidding yourself. You can plan all you want in your head to consider all the ways you would react in various circumstances, but let me leave you with one of the most true statements I have ever heard, and have seen it play out in real life more times than I can count:

"No plan survives first contact."

I absolutely agree.

I think all of us can rightfully support the fact that this gentlemen acted, that no innocent bystanders AND that these two thugs didn't get away with their crime and have been arrested/facing charges.

That said, I don't think that the fact that things turned out well should blind us to what the good guy did that was at least questionable, perhaps even technically illegal. Pointing out that he seemed to be checking his shot placement as if he was on a range practicing accuracy, for example, is one thing we all should keep in mind when we train...likewise, continuing to fire after the thugs were out the door was, I would submit, a very bad idea at best.

Bottom line is that the good guys won, the bad guys lost, no innocents were hurt and we are lucky in that we can hopefully learn from the incident since it was captured on camera.

Bottom line is that the good guys won, the bad guys lost, no innocents were hurt and we are lucky in that we can hopefully learn from the incident since it was captured on camera.

And, as always, England prevails. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Is he elevating his weapon because it's what he does at the range? Or is he making sure he doesn't cover someone coming around the corner? It happens pretty quick, I don't really get a feel for it one way or the other.

Damn! That woman could certainly have made this a really bad situation. She's within one step of walking right in front of the muzzle. WTH was she going? She was moving towards the threat.

Oh, watched it again, perhaps BG tells her to move to the other side?

Edited by MattCary
Guest Wildogre

I will bet lunch on two things.

One to me it looks like the guy has has some training, I am betting that he is a veteran of something.

The second thing is that the DA has watched this video and while the last shot or maybe the last few were wrong in the legal sense. The DA knew he would not get a convection if he charged the shooter.

To me the best outcome will be if the local SWAT team sits down with the guy and does a good AAR with him. Points out what he did right and what he did wrong.

Just a final note on this and hopefully I can leave my :2cents: at the door. (It's so hard!) I hope I did not offend anyone with my opinions as it was not my intention.

:popcorn::up:

No offense taken on my part. No one should ever be offended by any opinion posted here. You might "P***" me off, but I'll buy you a cup of coffee in the end! We should ALL feel the same way!

Dave

I believe the standard is fear for your life etc etc. Just because they went out the door doesn't mean they aren't going to come back. Look again at the last shot he fired, when the guy was on the ground. The BG was facing him, not face down etc. Are you trying to say he should have waited to see if the BG was going to draw a gun or point it at etc before he fired?

I think the problem here is the idea that just because they are running away I AUTOMATICALLY lose the LEGAL right to be in fear of my life. It isn't unreasonable to be in fear of them coming back.

No that isn't a logical extrapolation at all. Both were armed. A bat is a weapon when wielded as I assume you would agree. Also, they were acting suspicious, they were actively attempting a robbery. I don't see the slope on that, much less a slippery one.

My take on this is he did not chase them or "act like a cop". He engaged them in his and other's defense. When they exited the building and were actively leaving the area, he stopped firing. What could possibly be wrong about that? What was he supposed to do? Wait until they harmed people and not just expensive computer screens? I think he was absolutely right in what he did.

Boy'O threw his bat down before heading at the door. He was no longer a threat. If I seen the video right, the boy with the gun was the first out the door. I think once they "broke the plane" of the door, had their "BACKS" to the shooter outside of the cafe...they were no longer a threat to me.

Kudu's to the man for his actions! I'll donate to his defense fund if needed!

Dave