Glock rusted!

Caster

Whoda thunkit?

Seriously,I usually clean my EDC on Monday's but this week I forgot. I sweat profusely out here and it's a must to check it often. Well, i didn't. When i tried to unload it the slide wouldn't open. I gave it a stiff snatch and it opened and the shell ejected. It was covered in corrosion. The chamber was heartbreaking. After an hour of cleanings the whole gun I am left with three small pits about .030-.040 in diameter. They are smooth and I can't get a dentist pick to hang on them so they may shoot out. This weekend as an apology to my pistol for my inexcusable neglect, we're gonna go through about 500 rounds and then come home to a FULL tear down and detail. I'm talking cold beer, big fan, lots of light and I'm breaking out my jewelers loupe for a full physical on all metal parts.

We all need to be mindfull of this hot weather and how corrosive our bodies are. Even if you are not sweating buckets, flesh touching ferrous metal will eventually cause corrosion.

Be safe out there.

Edited by Caster
Guest pfries

I am sorry to hear of your Glock’s acute affliction, yes as the temps rise the young, elderly, poor in health and those made of metal are at higher risk.

In all seriousness I hope it cleans up and thanks for the reminder.

I've got a few boxes of wolf steel case. I hate having that mess around here. I'm an ammo snob I guess. I thought about putting a dab of baking soda toothpaste in the chamber and running a few hundred rounds of it through. That'll probably shine things backup.

Guest rebeldrummer

I've got a few boxes of wolf steel case. I hate having that mess around here. I'm an ammo snob I guess. I thought about putting a dab of baking soda toothpaste in the chamber and running a few hundred rounds of it through. That'll probably shine things backup.

i received a rifle via online deal recently...bolt head was COMPLETELY rusted (fresh rust...that had a certain FELINE odor about it! thats another story)

anyway....rusted. i took it apart...mixed baking soda and a little water together to make it kind of "pasty" and literally SOAKED the bolt head it in for about 6 hours....

took it out and it wiped right off. no signs of rust! now granted it worked so easily do to the fact the the rust was "fresh" and had not taken hold too well yet. but none the less it worked.

your on the right track...good luck and sorry to hear about it

I bet you're the type whose finger prints rust bare metal in a few hours. A machinist I used to work with was that way. He had to wear gloves all the time otherwise his fingerprints would rust the tooling, even black oxided stuff.

Wouldn't that be considered a super power?

I dont know if that is a good thing. LOL

Caster, my son has the same thing happen to His G23.

He cleans it every chance He gets.

If you clean weekly what do you use for CLP? Something's not right.

What's CLP? Lubricant? I use Lucas red and tacky on the rails, Molbil1 synthetic on the works and then spray it down with Remoil.

I missed a week and when I say sweat....I work outside all day everyday.

I would quit using Remoil. It is more of a cutting oil than a protectant. I think Remoil is actually cutting down you other oil's ability to stay place and protect.

I will wipe down my guns with a 50/50 mix of sythetic 30 weight and ATF. It seems to coat well and doesn't evaporate like a lot of other "protectants". I will wipe it down with a heavy coat then I wipe off the excess of with a paper towel. It isn't thick enough to use for lubrication on wear surfaces, that is what grease is for.

And if I want a lubricant that also cleans/suspends crud I use the same formula except I add a little bit of fuel injector treatment to the mix. I don't really pay attention to how much fuel injector cleaner I add but enough to thin it a little. I know I can take a rimfire AR that is malfunctioning, add a drop of this to each rail and it goes back to 100% reliable.

And for those of you who wonder what I use to mix or apply these formulas. I go to the Co-op and buy syringes with the needles attached. They are the ones that are about 1/2"-3/4" in diameter and have a needle. I will grind the needle until it is dull so I don't accidentally "inject" myself. The I suck up the synthetic oil until the syringe is 1/2 full then finish it off with the ATF. The syringes are under $1 each and are very useful. The needles also make reaching those hard to reach areas you want to protect easier.

Anybody who has seen me clean my guns knows I pull out a syringe filled with a red liquid.

Dolomite

The blasphemy is beyond the normal bounds of human knowledge.

They used to be convinced the sun was god and sacrifice virgins. People used to have electric underwear and put radium in their water. Labor unions and social security.

Better things come with time a research. Moving on.

What's really freaky is that the slide had a spot or two of rust on it too on the inside. It's a nickel boron slide!!! You would think......no, assumption is the mother of all screw ups. I'll sure be glad when winter comes back.

Guest flhtcm

What's CLP? Lubricant? I use Lucas red and tacky on the rails, Molbil1 synthetic on the works and then spray it down with Remoil.

I missed a week and when I say sweat....I work outside all day everyday.

dude, you missed more than a week... just sayin'

Better is a definition left up to the individual. What is better to me my not be better to another. Kind of like morals. And we all know those who carry 1911's have good morals :)

Dolomite

Yes, and those who carry M&Ps, have even better morals. I use to carry a 1911 then I progressed through Glocks and on to M&Ps. Now I am on top of the mountain.