What's Your Opinion?

Color me dumbfounded and academia challenged. Has this generation lost its ability to logically reason? I’ve heard examples of mass hysteria, but mass stupidity? Other than the witch trials and superstitious nonsense of the early American colonies, I can think of no other generation in American history where mass’s of people think bass akwards.

Of course I’m speaking of the tragedy in Aurora, Colorado.

Got up this morning and flipped on the TV to get the local weather and a little news. Went to the Nashville Fox 17 news channel; perhaps someone else on TGO viewed it this morning. There were these talking bobbing heads discussing the Aurora massacre.

Among other nonsense, they were stating point blank, Americans need to give up some of their freedoms to prevent more of these same tragedies. Then they went rambling on to say, “that if assault weapons were banned, tragedies like this would be averted. All of law enforcement fear these weapons and want them off the streets. The NRA has the Republicans in their pocket and Democrats fear them, blah, blah, blah.†They even mentioned the theater had no guns allowed signage, go figure? The talking heads more or less implied, assault weapons kill too many people, people don’t.

I don’t identify myself as a Republican, Democrat, conservative or liberal. I consider that label a political philosophy and a way of thinking what a group wants you to think and support. That’s why I dropped my Whig Party membership back in the day.

As tragic as this event is, the fact remains that more people die everyday from automobile accidents, drug overdoses, suicides, etc. Will more laws, restrictions and less freedoms help? Or would that just be feel good measures? People are going to be people, everyone has their own vices and evil has been around as long as there have been humans. When will our society realize you can’t legislate morality?

I’ve even heard what separates us from the animal kingdom is the ability to reason. It defies reasoning to blame an inanimate object for human actions.

This same “reasoning†of higher intelligence says the death penalty is cruel and unusual punishment, Planned Parenthood is a legal right, and I need to work to support those to lazy to do so.

Dr. Dennis1209 proposes this way of thinking is a mental illness and we’re all doomed.

I can think of no other generation in American history where a large segment of U.S. citizens call good bad, and bad good.

What really stood out and scares the heck out of me, when the media and self proclaimed experts with agenda’s spout out that we need to give up some of our freedoms to prevent… Who was it that said something like: those that will give up freedoms for security…?

As far as the Second Amendment, how can there be any debate or court decisions on what and whom the founding fathers meant on the right to keep and bear arms? I can’t even spell I.Q. but, the Articles, letters and intent are so clearly spelled out, that even I, an academia whipping boy can understand the exact meaning.

Just wanted to rant a bit. Perhaps my brain wiring is under developed and I have it all bass akwards.

• Like 1

I think it was staged. To much strange stuff going on that doesn't make sense. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will but I call it like I see it. I'm either smarter than the average bear or not clouded by BS.

Kind in convienient it happened 3 weeks before the UN Small Arms Treaty goes up for a vote.

The system has dumbed down people. No one is taught to reason they are taught not to question. The so called leaders of today want to turn the country back to rule under the crown. Teachers dont teach no more they baby sit.

The founding of America isnt taught anymore just how America is wrong for being superior to other nations what the fact is that we are superior than any other country. My belief is because we were founded with most Founding Fathers believeing in God or a Divine Power. Yes I am a Christian and that is my opinion. I am in no way trying to start a religious debate just my opinion.

I find it disturbing how we are supposed to accept others religions in school but we are not allowed to discuss God in school. Even if you dont believe in a higher power most teachings from the Bible would still apply.

Most of the elitest think they know better for us but yet they dont partake in what they want passed down to the commoners.The government thinks of us as subjects now and not WE THE PEOPLE. They feed the masses with this media crap and people just take it in and dont question it.I mean look at how many people get governemnt assistance.They thinks its free thats becasue they are taught it is.The whole entitlements program is a house of cards built on sand and the house is getting to high to not come crashing down.

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."- Joseph Goebbels

Off my soap box

I think this is just going to be another strike against guns...I'm not going to spout my views but just think about it...if the statistic was that 1 in every say 10 people carried a gun I'm pretty sure the guy might have rethought about what he was going to do...but just my .02...

I think it was staged. To much strange stuff going on that doesn't make sense. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will but I call it like I see it. I'm either smarter than the average bear or not clouded by BS....

Those are really really really the only two possibilities?

- OS

Guest ThePunisher

Color me dumbfounded and academia challenged. Has this generation lost its ability to logically reason? I’ve heard examples of mass hysteria, but mass stupidity? Other than the witch trials and superstitious nonsense of the early American colonies, I can think of no other generation in American history where mass’s of people think bass akwards.

Of course I’m speaking of the tragedy in Aurora, Colorado.

Got up this morning and flipped on the TV to get the local weather and a little news. Went to the Nashville Fox 17 news channel; perhaps someone else on TGO viewed it this morning. There were these talking bobbing heads discussing the Aurora massacre.

Among other nonsense, they were stating point blank, Americans need to give up some of their freedoms to prevent more of these same tragedies. Then they went rambling on to say, “that if assault weapons were banned, tragedies like this would be averted. All of law enforcement fear these weapons and want them off the streets. The NRA has the Republicans in their pocket and Democrats fear them, blah, blah, blah.†They even mentioned the theater had no guns allowed signage, go figure? The talking heads more or less implied, assault weapons kill too many people, people don’t.

I don’t identify myself as a Republican, Democrat, conservative or liberal. I consider that label a political philosophy and a way of thinking what a group wants you to think and support. That’s why I dropped my Whig Party membership back in the day.

As tragic as this event is, the fact remains that more people die everyday from automobile accidents, drug overdoses, suicides, etc. Will more laws, restrictions and less freedoms help? Or would that just be feel good measures? People are going to be people, everyone has their own vices and evil has been around as long as there have been humans. When will our society realize you can’t legislate morality?

I’ve even heard what separates us from the animal kingdom is the ability to reason. It defies reasoning to blame an inanimate object for human actions.

This same “reasoning†of higher intelligence says the death penalty is cruel and unusual punishment, Planned Parenthood is a legal right, and I need to work to support those to lazy to do so.

Dr. Dennis1209 proposes this way of thinking is a mental illness and we’re all doomed.

I can think of no other generation in American history where a large segment of U.S. citizens call good bad, and bad good.

What really stood out and scares the heck out of me, when the media and self proclaimed experts with agenda’s spout out that we need to give up some of our freedoms to prevent… Who was it that said something like: those that will give up freedoms for security…?

As far as the Second Amendment, how can there be any debate or court decisions on what and whom the founding fathers meant on the right to keep and bear arms? I can’t even spell I.Q. but, the Articles, letters and intent are so clearly spelled out, that even I, an academia whipping boy can understand the exact meaning.

Just wanted to rant a bit. Perhaps my brain wiring is under developed and I have it all bass akwards.

Dennis

I am also dumbfounded by all the stupidity going on in this world, but the only logical explanation for me, is found in Mathew 13:13-15.

It sure didn't take Michael Bloomberg long to jump on the ban guns speech.

I can't put my finger on the reason why just yet, but I too think this is very odd. I also believe this will do great damage to legal gun ownership in the near future.

All you Romney supporters do realize he implemented an "Assault Weapons Ban" in his state while governer, right?

http://www.iberkshires.com/story/14812/Romney-signs-off-on-permanent-assault-weapons-ban.html

Edited by gregintenn

Fast & furious repeat, IMHO. Paid stooge of the administration to stir up anti gunners before the big vote.... I can see it. Obama was caught doing the same once, red handed, why not again? He is not terribly creative --- a little more work to avoid being caught, and the plan is a success...

If the guy were a nutcase, he would not have told the police about the bombed apartment. He probably would not have been taken alive. And number of shots fired vs fatalities? Low. Something smells here and I am very anti-tinfoil-hat. This was not your standard nut (if there is such a thing). All that planning and no escape? BS. He wanted to live, all the armor, surrendered. But no manifesto on facebook or anything yet? It does not add up, and if it was going to add up, it would have already.

You do have people who have simply lost the ability for critical thinking - such thinking needs to be modeled, taught and we seldom do that any more. This leads to people who really think that banning "assault weapons" and or that "non guns allowed" signs are effective because, in a lack of logic and critical thinking, emotions usually win the day in the minds of people (of course, I'm not talking about those who have an agenda to concentrate power and see individually owned weapons as an impediment to their agenda).

No one who thinks through the issue logically would ever conclude that the problem is "the gun", be it an assault weapon or simply a weapon that looks like it's an assault weapon - no one tho thinks through the issue logically would ever believe that "No Guns Allowed" sign is going to stop someone who is intent on massacring innocent people.

No one thinking logically would believe that taking firearms out of the hands of decent, law-abiding citizens is going to sole the problem...what gets me is that these people will claim that you can confiscate and ban ALL weapons in the U.S. (estimated to be somewhere around at lest 270 million firearms) and often will concurrently claim that it's impossible to find and send some 14 million illegal aliens back to wherever they came from because there are just too many of them. Last time I took a math course I'm pretty sure 270 million is a much bigger number than 14 million. :)

• Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

Well, it does make me think of the opening scenario of the Kindle book, "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic".

nowadays, I think it is entirely possible, maybe with a different approach, or a really screwed up individual,

which he apparently is.

The anti gun bunch would do anything they can and use anyone they could to undermine our rights.

I agree with you Dennis, very few people think logically now, they just go with it. However, I don't think this guy was set up to do it. If he just walks out of jail that's a whole 'nother story though. I think in maybe a screwed up way he might have felt he was somehow helping the anti-gun people, but I doubt it. As far as the poles I'm reading there isn't a large percentage of people who think there should be a ban on firearms or stricter laws. Most of them think they should keeps laws as they are. Just my .02 cents though.

• Moderators
Well, it does make me think of the opening scenario of the Kindle book, "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic".

nowadays, I think it is entirely possible, maybe with a different approach, or a really screwed up individual,

which he apparently is.

The anti gun bunch would do anything they can and use anyone they could to undermine our rights.

I'm glad I wasn't the only who saw the echo of EFAD in what happened in Aurora.
Guest ThePunisher

Watched California Senator Barbara Feinstein yesterday on Fox and wanted to throw up listening to her babbling that there is no purpose for hi cap. mags and assualt rifles when hunting. And that these hi cap. mags and semi- auto assualt rifles are only for inflicting a lot of damage and casualties by someone like what happened at Aurora. The military should only have assualt rifles. In other words, according to these dumb arse liberals, people don't need semi-auto rifles and 30 rd mags or 100 rd drum mags period.

Anybody still want to vote for these dumb arse liberals? They want you to have only single shot air guns.

Edited by ThePunisher

I'm going to put my tinfoil hat on and say that I'm not ruling out the possibility that the gun-hating left had something to do with this.

We all know that they wish for things like this to happen so they can beat their anti-freedom drum even harder. And when nothing happens to support their lunatic views on gun control, do they resort to drastic measures and make it happen?

Maybe, I dunno.

Is it probable? Dunno.

Is it impossible? No.

Watched California Senator Barbara Feinstein yesterday on Fox and wanted to throw up listening to her babbling that their is no purpose for hi cap. mags and assualt rifles when hunting. And that these hi cap. mags and semi- auto assualt rifles are only for inflicting a lot of damage and casualties by someone like what happened at Aurora. The military should only have assualt rifles. In other words, according to these dumb arse liberals, people don't need semi-auto rifles and 30 rd mags or 100 rd drum mags period.

Anybody still want to vote for these dumb arse liberals? They want you to have only single shot air guns.

Feinstein wants only the military and the police to have "assault" weapons so that they can put down the inevitable rebellion that they KNOW is coming.

Guest ThePunisher

Feinstein wants only the military and the police to have "assault" weapons so that they can put down the inevitable rebellion that they KNOW is coming.

Now, someone is gonna accuse you of wearing that tin foil hat.....

Well, I agree with her. You do not need a 30+ round mag to hunt anything. It can be nice for some pests in some parts of the country, but it is not necessary to put food on the table.

Which begs the question, "so what?". I don't hunt with my AR, its for 3 gun which is a sport and a valid use of the gun. Even if I did not, "so what?". Its a lot of fun to blast away sometimes. Also, the hunting logic --- all you need is a muzzle loader or bow. We going to reduce people to single shots in the name of safety? That would be stupid, right? Well, this approach is just stupid scaled up one level.

The idea that the only purpose of a gun is violence, whether to an animal or to people, is where she has a mental block. Guns are used 99 % of the time on nonliving targets at a range for the fun of it. That other 1% is divided among hunting, defense, war, crime, and more. Crime is a relatively small part of it, by the way.

We tried a high cap mag ban, and it failed to stop any crimes. We let it expire because it was worthless. She is not even creative enough to come up with anything better than "people don't need it to hunt" --- she is not all that smart.

Edited by Jonnin

Two points that the TV media have ignored:

1) There are several movie theaters nearby. Why did he choose the one he did? We know that he meticulously planned this attack. Is it coincidence that that theater is posted AGAINST concealed carry?

2) There was nother attempted mass murder in Aurora, CO on April 30th this year. Shooter had multple guns, body armor, lots of ammo. Killed two and then was drilled in the head by an off-duty cop with a concealed handgun. End of that 'rampage'!

I am terrified at the thought of standing with my little pistol against some nut armed with a rifle and armored like this fellow. But, I hope that I would have the courage to at least try. It's certainly better than cowering in fear and hoping he moves on without shooting me or my loved ones.

• Like 2

Well, I agree with her. You do not need a 30+ round mag to hunt anything. It can be nice for some pests in some parts of the country, but it is not necessary to put food on the table.

Which begs the question, "so what?". ...

Somebody needs to stand up to a Feinstein et al, on these shows are start telling it like it is: that our guns are ultimately intended by the Founders to be able to oust the tyranny of a corrupt government -- that pols just like YOU DIANNE! are creating!

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Two points that the TV media have ignored:

1) There are several movie theaters nearby. Why did he choose the one he did? We know that he meticulously planned this attack. Is it coincidence that that theater is posted AGAINST concealed carry?

2) There was nother attempted mass murder in Aurora, CO on April 30th this year. Shooter had multple guns, body armor, lots of ammo. Killed two and then was drilled in the head by an off-duty cop with a concealed handgun. End of that 'rampage'!

I am terrified at the thought of standing with my little pistol against some nut armed with a rifle and armored like this fellow. But, I hope that I would have the courage to at least try. It's certainly better than cowering in fear and hoping he moves on without shooting me or my loved ones.

As far as point 1), this news report I watched/read states that the law in Colorado prohibit carry at any movie theater in the state.

http://www.wdef.com/news/story/Colorado-Shootings-Bring-Gun-Laws-To-Light/yTIv7RlA8EuUajW86rBbEA.cspx

Guest 6.8 AR

Not necessarily this event, even though it could very well turn out to be contrived in some way, but you know

the left wing of politics has been wanting any "excuse" it can find to drum up gun control. Been doing it for years.

I seriously doubt most of the media would allow much of a counter viewpoint like it did years ago between Ted

Nugent and that witch of a lawyer. He ripped her arguments to pieces. That's not what they are about.

It won't stop until We stop it.