Remington 1100 failure to close

I have a Remington 1100 I am redoing. I got it mostly right except when I actually shoot it with live shells the bolt hangs back in the open position. I can push the bolt with my thumb and it will close. I have another 1100 and you cannot push the bolt forward on it when it is locked back. Now, this shotgun has had an extended carrier added...looks like this

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/786587/daves-metal-works-easyloader-extended-carrier-release-bar-remington-1100-12-gauge-steel-silver

When I pull it down it will lock back. So I have to assume it is not fitted properly. I do most of my own work but I have never really worked on the timing on an 1100.

One other thing, it has a 10 shot tube, I need a new spring so I went ahead and stretched this one. Even with the extra tension it does the same thing. I don't mind ordering a few parts as I need to get that spring anyways so I am trying to figure out which parts.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it was not picking up the new shell then yes, a new mag spring, or if the new round was not pushed clear of the mag tube. i guess its possible that there is not enough force to have the new shell release the bolt.

but i think it would be hard replace the lifter and make that be your problem.

if you wish to test the mag spring idea, just swap tube and spring from the other or even trigger groups. myself i do not like the 1100 or 11-87

Guest Papabear

I have a Remington 1100 I am redoing. I got it mostly right except when I actually shoot it with live shells the bolt hangs back in the open position. I can push the bolt with my thumb and it will close. I have another 1100 and you cannot push the bolt forward on it when it is locked back. Now, this shotgun has had an extended carrier added...looks like this

http://www.midwayusa...ge-steel-silver

When I pull it down it will lock back. So I have to assume it is not fitted properly. I do most of my own work but I have never really worked on the timing on an 1100.

One other thing, it has a 10 shot tube, I need a new spring so I went ahead and stretched this one. Even with the extra tension it does the same thing. I don't mind ordering a few parts as I need to get that spring anyways so I am trying to figure out which parts.

I would say the carrier is not fitted correctly and it's holding the bolt from going into battery. The fact that you can push the bolt forward and it goes into battery leads me to think it's just a interference issue since the bolt is not locked back. To check that you have enough spring pressure with the streched tube spring swap the stock carrier back in and fire a few rounds through. If your spring pressure is good and shells are feeding from the tube well then your problem is the aftermarket carrier. I have never seen a carrier like the one you linked that was a drop in part. Most of them require quite a bit of hand fitting.

The original carrier is still there, This part just fits under it and kind of hangs out, It is my understanding that they use some kind of tube loader to speed load these shotguns in 3 gun competition. This is obvilously going to take some study. I need to learn more about shotguns anyways.