What powder for .223 tracers?

A friend of mine bought some 22 cal. 62 or 64 gr.pulled tracer bullets to load for .223's.He wanted to know what was the best powder to load them with?He didn't know if there was a certain powder that would "light" them up better or not.

Thanks Jeff

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer your question about what powder to light them up. It really wont matter what powder you use

I would load them close to the other ammo he is loading. Or the data he finds for for 62 gr

There is load data for all the powders you listed.

Edited by JeffsSig

Using certain powder will make a difference. Modern powder is mixed with a flash suppressant that will not light the magnesium on the bullet. This is straight from the horses mouth (David)...hopefully he will chime in and clarify if I have messed up any info.

Using certain powder will make a difference. Modern powder is mixed with a flash suppressant that will not light the magnesium on the bullet. This is straight from the horses mouth (David)...hopefully he will chime in and clarify if I have messed up any info.

Yeah,that's what I was wanting to know if one powder was better than another just for tracers.My friend said he loaded some 30 cal. tracers before and they wouldn't light up.He didn't know if it was the bullets or not the right powder for them.I use 2230,and IMR 4895 mostly for my .223's.

Jeff

wc844 works good if you have 4198 or 4895 vit will work but most powders now have flash suppressant in them. the bad thing about that is the tracer lights after the rounds energy is spent causing fires

I have IMR 4895,4320 and BLC2,Varget,AA 2230,2420.He has some more different brands.I was going to buy some tracers from him to try myself.May try the 4895 then.

Thanks Jeff