Tell me everything I need to know about hog hunting

I'm a damned Yankee. We came here a little less than 3 years ago, spent our money and stayed. I don't know anything about hog hunting and I'd like to go with my son. How about filling me in?

Guest rebeldrummer

welcome fellow Yank !! ha ha ha...

i have been here 16 years now and have yet to kill a pig...

i have been out in the woods hunting where i knew they were, however never had any luck.

i am by no means an expert....i alwasys went with a buddy of mine who knew the ropes (it was his land as well)

he up and moved on me so I havent been in 2 years....maybe we can hook up and show them how some Yanks can hunt!!! ha ha ha

p.s. I am FULLY preraped for the on slaught of remarks about yankees!!! :)

Do you have private land with a hog population? If not, then you are currently without many options in Tennessee.

Here is the legal side:

http://www.tn.gov/twra/feralhog.html

Can I still hunt hogs on WMAs?

The take of wild hogs is allowed on some WMAs in conjunction with other scheduled hunts in Regions III and IV. Please check the most recent hunting guide for dates and special regulations.

Note:The TWRC has approved an amendment to the WMA proclamation to authorize the taking of wild hogs, in conjunction with deer seasons, at three additional WMAs in Region 3. The WMAs are Alpine Mountain, Skinner Mountain, and Standing Stone State Forest.

Basically, TWRA has stopped hunting of hogs on public land in order to keep people from releasing wild hogs in order to establish or increase the population of wild hogs on those public properties. You can decide if that makes sense to you, but for most of us, it is ridiculous.

If you really want a good hog hunt, then Texas and Florida are good options. Tennessee will probably be a good option in a few years, after the hogs that aren't being hunted have the opportunity to reproduce lots more hogs. We just have to wait for the TWRA to see the error of their ways.

do like i do go to texas pay 300.00 per day ride in the back of a ford f350 with a shooting bench built in shoot away

I think, with training, you can also shoot them from a helicopter in Texas. But, it's . . . a little more than $300 a day.

I think there are parts of Texas that are absolutely over-run with hogs. It's more about hog eradication than hunting.

I know we had them in our subdivision, where they eat all the flowers and shrubs in the yards. And, don't get between momma and her babies, that's really bad news.

(Addition)

Here's a little video:

http://www.texashunt...cation-in-Texas

Edited by QuietDan

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=029625;p=1

I hope it's OK to post this link. It's not specific to any particular part of the country & it's not even gun related, but it contains some of the BEST hog hunting tips, tricks & techniques on the net.

The hogs we have around the WMAs in east TN are particularly difficult to hunt, with any measure of success. They are VERY wide ranging & they don't really seem to have a home territory. I have a good bud, over near Maryville, that has some private land he hunts just outside of Pigeon Forge. The place is absolutely torn up by pigs & he has over 300 pictures of hogs on his game cameras. In 3 years, neither of us have ever actually seen one! They're almost exclusively nocturnal & it appears that they're constantly on the move.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I don't buy into the "go heavy or go home" for hogs. If I had a 400 pound boar charging me, then I would want something big too, but that isn't likely. If you have the option of carrying a large bore handgun as a backup, that wouldn't be a bad idea. However, anything you use to hunt deer is sufficient for hogs. Shoot them in the neck and be done with it.

Right on Whiskey! Last three hogs I saw go down were to a 9mm (2) and a .223. Two of them dropped on the spot and one made it a few yards before collapsing. I wouldn't pick either of those calibers to go hunt hogs but that's what was handy when the hogs gave themselves up and they worked fine.

Karamojo Bell hunted elephants with a .275 Rigby... if your shot placement is good enough you can use pretty much anything you want.

Personally, I'm not that good and will stick with my big bullets. Respect to anybody willing to go toe to hoof w/ a hog with nothing but a 9mm... that takes some stones.

Buddy has some come through his farm near Thompson Station (WM Co.) Group about thirty ,late in night. Not know how long they have been doing it,come through about

once a month. They have bagged a couple in 200lb range but most half that size. TWRA is trying to trap some to get data on them in this area.

When I lived in Austin, Tx I used to hunt on my cousins ranch just north of Del Rio and we would hunt hogs in the spring just for something to do. Brush hunting I used a 30-30 and range hunting I used a 30-06. We had one place that was about 230 acres of knee high grass, had to reach out and touch something there. It was alot of fun though.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Depends on how they are killed. If you get the drop on em and they never know you are there, the pork tastes pretty durn good.

If they've been running and their adrenaline is up they aren't much use for anything but sausage.

As a rule, sows and younger animals have better meat for chops and hams.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=029625;p=1

I hope it's OK to post this link. It's not specific to any particular part of the country & it's not even gun related, but it contains some of the BEST hog hunting tips, tricks & techniques on the net.

The hogs we have around the WMAs in east TN are particularly difficult to hunt, with any measure of success. They are VERY wide ranging & they don't really seem to have a home territory. I have a good bud, over near Maryville, that has some private land he hunts just outside of Pigeon Forge. The place is absolutely torn up by pigs & he has over 300 pictures of hogs on his game cameras. In 3 years, neither of us have ever actually seen one! They're almost exclusively nocturnal & it appears that they're constantly on the move.

Hi there, I moved from Pa. back in 2006 and have been looking for private land and some one to hunt with since then but no luck. Would your friend mind taking a a 73 year old man out hunting ?  Would love to be able to hunt for what years I have left. I did live in Pigeon Forge but moved to Sevierville three years ago. Thank you.