Mossberg 802 Plinkster .22 w/pics

JD_

My Mossberg 802 Plinkster .22 bolt-action came in yesterday. I won't be able to shoot it until Saturday, but really look forward to it. I wasn't sure how the sport grip would feel, but I really like it. It has a good feel to it. I picked up a $30 Bushnell scope for it. The scope seemed to get decent reviews for the price. I'm going to shoot with just the sights for awhile first and then try the scope out.

I'll try to get some pictures from the range and provide an update on Saturday. I'll be shooting this and a '94 model Winchester 30-30. Should be a great day. I'm very excited about it.

P.S. - I don't have much advice to offer on guns, but if you ever need to know what a 525 round box of .22 Blazers falling off a table and hitting the laminate flooring and spilling everywhere sounds like......I'm your guy. :wall:

2vta2c7.jpg

33w33wl.jpg

a5kvio.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got one myself a couple years ago. Conventional stock and black metal though. Matter of fact, I see they've changed the whole bolt and handle

The bolt lugs fell out of mine, but once Mossberg replaced whole gun, it's been fine, just that my shipping made it not such a cheap deal as it started.

I put a little 2-7x20mm BSA scope on it they don't even make any more, does just fine.I suspect it's as accurate a .22 as I own, but the trigger has remained so stiff I can't prove it. They seem to have improved it any?

Tried to order some extra mags, Mossberg just kept sending them without charging me, wound up with about 16 of them before they finally charged me for four and quit sending them!

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I took the gun to the range this morning. It seems to be a good gun. I didn't have any problems at all with it. I'm a beginner, so I have some stuff I need to work on, but the gun was doing what it needed to do. Shooting with iron sights at 25 yds, 8" target.

I shot low & right at first.

2ibdlk7.jpg

Friend made some adjustments for me and then I was shooting high but seemed to be centered pretty good.

5lxses.jpg

One more adjustment and then worked a bit on mechanics and I was shooting down and to left a little, but I was happy with it overall for my first time shooting in years.

2remwcl.jpg

Very happy with the gun for the price range. Now I just need to practice, practice, practice.

Edited by JD_

One more adjustment and then I was shooting down and to left a little, but I was happy with it overall for my first time shooting in years.

2remwcl.jpg

Very happy with the gun for the price range.

I can do about that grouping (without the two flyers), maybe a tad better, at 50 yards with cheap scope on mine. Also using the Blazer.

I'd opine the gun is capable of halving even that, but again, because of crummy trigger I just can't hold it any closer, gun always moves some. One of these days I'll lock it down on somebody's bench setup and see just what is the best I can do that way. Didn't ever find any real credible "how to" to smooth trigger that I'd be willing to try, and unlike a 10/22, no source for parts if ya screw it up.

I can hit a tin can or clay at 120 yards about every time with 10/22, about every third time with my Plinkster 802. Sighted in at 50, I just use the bottom ^ where the vertical crosshair fattens up.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I had a lot of fun with it. I have lots of practicing to do, that's for sure. I'll probably go back tomorrow and might put the scope on it and try it out. I just wanted to get familiar with the gun a bit today, and see how good (or bad) of a shot I am. Hope you have a good rest of your weekend.

I had a lot of fun with it. I have lots of practicing to do, that's for sure. I'll probably go back tomorrow and might put the scope on it and try it out. I just wanted to get familiar with the gun a bit today, and see how good (or bad) of a shot I am. ...

With say a 7, even better a 9x scope you should be able to do about 50% better at that same distance, or about same twice as far or more. Looking at what you did with iron sights, not bad at all, and I think if you shoot a few other .22s with better triggers you'll find that you're better than the rifle will allow. Again, not because of anything over all structural with the Plinkster, just the trigger. Or maybe yours is better than mine, no way to say, but I really can't hardly "squeeze" mine, always comes down to an actual "pull", ie, "jerk" from a Jerk. :)

But it is a heckuva little shootin iron on the cheap, I do enjoy cranking mine up. So light, too.

I'd spot ya couple of mags, but I sold all those extras Mossberg sent me on RimfireCentral. I did offer to send them back, they said nah. I just kept 6 that fit into a nifty little cell phone case I had laying around, plus one in the gun.

Note if you buy any, the mags for the 802 (green follower) are not the same as for the more commonly found ones for 702 (red follower).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot