.458 SOCOM or .300 BLK

Ok so I've found a .458 upper with a relatively short wait, (normally 90+ days) for a good price.

My question is, what would y'all buy. I love the big bore .458, i can reload both calibers, but Brass for .458 is pricey, about $0.80 per. So assuming I can get 10 loads out of the brass I can load jacketed bullets for about $1.50.

I'm sure .300BLK would be cheaper on all cases, just wondering how useful of a hunting round it can be. Everything needed is under 200yds so that's really no issue.

I know everyone will say just buy a .308, but I don't wanna :D.

I like the heavy bullet options of the .458, but I like the value of .300 BLK as well as suppressor performance(future option).

So I guess my main question is about .300 ballistics. Good Hog killers or .458 better? White tail?

All I'm buying is the upper, using current lower.

Just looking for thoughts from the local "family", as I've read all the other discussions on other forums.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The humble 30/30 has proven track record for putting deer in the freezer. No one can argue that.

THe .300 BLK will match the 30/30's ballistics about 98% With a 125 or 130g bullet, the 300 BLK will put a deer down with no trouble. Might not wanna take that 300 yard shot with it, but at normal TN distances, it'll do anything you need it to do. Would tear them feral hogs up too.

Just buy both.

Id not say pick the 458 over the 300 as each has its place.

And your more than welcome to shoot my 458 upper on your lower anytime to get a feel for it.

You have 200 - 600 gr with velocities 900 fps to over 2000 fps

458cartrdiges.jpg

Jeff if I was rich I would buy both. I'm certainly intrigued by the .458. Especially since I can have it so quickly, the cost of ammo is the tough part. There are actually a lot of bullet options available, just the heavy grains are pretty steep in price.

I just can't get past the hard hitting round. I actually do realize the 300 is more practice for my uses, but I'm like a little kid, I like impractical things.

Another option is to cast for whatever caliber you choose. If you source the lead and get it for free you could probably load 458 for under .15 a round. I know I am looking at .10 each for the BLK.

Casting has saved my shooting or at least allowed me to get into calibers I normally wouldn't have gotten into.

And once you cast for one caliber you will cast for all of them. I cast 308, 9mm, 44 and 45. I also cast 12 gauge slugs.

Dolomite

A few guys on 300blktalk hog hunt with 110gr barnes black tips and have been taking them with no problems.

Thanks man, and after I said I wasn't getting into a new caliber. Truth be told 6.8Spc would probably be better suited, but I want options to be subsonic if I choose.

I have both. They're real different animals. The 300 is basically a 30/30 with better bullets. The 458 is basically a 45/70 with the same bullets. Rightwinger has shot some deer with the 458. It's a DRT caliber for deer.

BTW... there's a little more custom stuff on the 458. Special bolt and upper receiver, and obviously the barrel. The 300 is just a different barrel

Edited by mikegideon
  • Admin Team

I'm going with all three since I've also lumped 338 Spectre into the mix.

300 AAC blackout is the cheapest and probably the most versatile. I like the 338 Spectre simply because force still equals mass times acceleration, and at 1050fps, the Spectre is going to put more energy and a bigger hole in the target.

The 458 SOCOM just hits hard. I love my SBR, but consider it a purpose built gun, not really a range gun. I watched a 500gr round go through a hog end to end. The hog dropped without another step.

I like the fact that there are so many .30 caliber bullets. There's a fair selection of .338 caliber, but they're more expensive. I've been shooting some hornady 325gr flex tips that I got from David in the .458 SOCOM. They're pretty cheap coming from David. The nice thing with all three is that you can cast for them pretty cheap.

I looked at .338 but uppers are a little scarce. That's why I only mentioned .300 & .458.

Everything seems to lean towards .300, so I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see if he has any deals on uppers. Don't be surprised if I just break down and buy the .458 :D

Edit: One other drawback is I live in Knoxville m-f and my loading equipment is in Johnson City. That has really hurt production lately. Maybe catch up this winter.

Edited by Lumber_Jack

THE bullet for the SOCOM is the Barnes TTSX. I have a 16" barrel on my 458, and added a brake. That toned the recoil down just enough to make it a fun shooter. It's a hoss.

Haven't shot the 300 yet. Been making ammo.

Edited by mikegideon

I looked at .338 but uppers are a little scarce. That's why I only mentioned .300 & .458.

Everything seems to lean towards .300, so I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see if he has any deals on uppers. Don't be surprised if I just break down and buy the .458 :D

Edit: One other drawback is I live in Knoxville m-f and my loading equipment is in Johnson City. That has really hurt production lately. Maybe catch up this winter.

Is it an RRA upper?

I have a Shilen 300 BLK barrel that is 16" coming. I already tore down a 223 AR for the upper. I ordered a 3 postition gas block and a fluted free float tube. And once I know it is a keeper I will be submitting a few Form 1's. SBR and a suppressor because everything is nicer through a can. I know how quiet my 22 can is and hopefully a 30 caliber can can do the same.

Which brings me to another question. Are there any 45 caliber cans capable of withstanding the 458 SOCOM?

Dolomite

Which brings me to another question. Are there any 45 caliber cans capable of withstanding the 458 SOCOM?

Dolomite

Yes, but the jury is undecided on weather it's truly hearing safe. Most are not, but have heard of a couple ( over barrel design) that get quiet with the right load.

SBR makes one, but doesn't list performance

http://www.sbrammunition.com/class3.html

HTG rated for .45 thru full power .458

http://www.htgsilencers.com/Products/Suppressors/Handgun_Suppressors/?ProductID=2557

Edited by Lumber_Jack

Let's don't forget that the 500 grain 458 has double the muzzle energy at 1000 fps. That's my biggest when shooting a pistol speed. If I suppress a caliber, it will most likely be the 458.

Mike, what powder do you use to load .458? Do you cast bullets or buy pre-cast lead, or just use jackets?

I use Reloader 7, because I have midlength gas. H110 is usually the ticket for carbine gas. It just sometimes has a problem cycling the middy. I buy my bullets, and have a good mix, including some 300 grain machined brass. Those are a hoot.

To clarify, jacketed and solids (copper and brass). No bare lead.

Edited by mikegideon