Wife FINALLY into it

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Thought this would be the appropriate place to post this.

So, I have been trying to get my wife into the shooting sports for the last 10 years with no luck. She has been to the range with me a few times, but all of my handguns are full size 1911's. I did pick up a SIgma from Academy, and she thought it was OK except of course the 10 pound trigger pull, and I bought her a PT111, which she hated (As did I).

About 4 days ago I get out of bed and she tells me that the night before someone rang the doorbell, and when she looked out, no one was there. Well, we live in a fairly nice subdivision, but the sense of security here is false, and she has that false sense. So, instead of waking me up, she opened the door and went outside. In this neighborhood we only have about 4 street lights and none around my house. Its pitch black without a moon. The lake behind our house has a concrete pathway, so she walks around the house, in the pitch black, and sees two black males and a female walking away down the path. That wouoldnt be much of a consideration except only one black family lives here, and he is a doctor down on the corner, and I dont think he and his friend and wife (They have two small children), would be walking down a path at 11 or 12 at night. Plus, about a month ago, a lady near the corner, 5 houses away had her house broken into and robbed, again, by two black males (They were caught), while she was asleep in bed. So, I decided it was time me and the wife had a serious discussion about safety, defense and other pertaining issues.

She took to it right away.

We went shopping and she purchased her first handgun today. (Pic below). Monday she starts the NRA Basic Pistol Course, with a National Champion and NRA Instructor, and he will also be teaching her how to handle my 870 Tactical. Last night, she became a member of the NRA. As soon as she finished the course, then I get her to the range to throw a couple of thousand rounds down, she will be getting her enhanced CC permit, And I dont think it will be long before she is a member here. She is already talking about how we can spend time together shooting, because she loves the gun she bought, walked out of the shop with a big smile on her face.

We shopped around, thought about a Tauras or a Rossi, but decided to go with this instead, when we walked in and she held it, she liked the feel, weight, look and the laser.

Im pretty happy about the whole situation, except the part where she went outside at night without protection. But now at least I can head to the range and take her without feeling guilty about not going with her to Dillards. And I am sure there are more revo's and a few Semi's in her future.

Smith and Wesson Bodyguard

dsc_0076-1.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, it is a shame we have to do things like this, but in this day and time, we do what we gota do.

Good to hear yalls OLs are ready to take care of them selfs.

My OL carries a Ruger LCR in 38 SP, we shoot about 2 to 3 times a month

in our back yard, I dont worrier about Her anymore.

I just moved back out to the country after 15 yrs and the other day my wife called and asked if I had any more .380 ammo stashed around the house and if not I needed to stop and pick up some. She only had 3 magazines left. She had been in the back yard shooting before I got home. Kinda jealous but I just stopped and picked up a couple o hundred rounds on the way home no complaints.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Good deal. Get her a good flashlight.

The mess in Colorado has prompted my wife to talk about getting her HCP again. I need to get her to the range so she can try out a few things and figure out what she wants. Hard to find time with 2 little ones to chase around. I've been unable to convince her to go ahead and take the class using one of my pistols. I'm sure she'd have no problem with the shooting portion.

I think the "man gun club" culture of the country has really hurt the women. So many times I see women shooting for their first few times and really having fun, "why didn't I do this sooner" and so on. Take your wife/daughter/mom/friend with you guys -- a lot of them will like it. And, really, don't hand them the .44 snubbie for their first shot. It is not funny, and you just discouraged a potential shooter for life. If its your wife/girlfriend/whatever, that maybe just left you to shooting without her for the rest of your life. I cant tell you how great it is to have your wife open the safe, grab her AR and say 'we are going to the rifle range today'. Its a lot better than "you go ahead without me, I need to do my nails".

Encouragement helps. It took a while before mine would even try it with me --- she was leaning toward the greenies/hippies and casually anti-gun when I met her. She finally agreed to try it once and now I cannot make nor buy enough ammo to keep her going.

Welcome to my world.With my crackhead brother in law and his regular fits he throws; I have to carry even when checking my mail.

I am glad to hear she is now armed.As bad as it is..and as sad as it is..we need to be aware that times are changing fast.

And to touch a little on the " mens club" comment.I think some men still have not gotten the memo.I was at a range shooting skeet one day.Trying to find out if I wanted to really get into it.I used my 410 shotgun.Some 500lbs cigar smoking Bennelli carrying Gorilla asked the range guy who was pushing the buttons if I was even allowed to shoot that kind of shotgun there.He got me so upset and flustered that i hit 3 clays out of 50.He was really rude and condescending towards me.

My wife has always approved of my carrying but two weeks ago told me she wanted to go to the range and shoot again (not related to CO but to an incident with a coworker who had an attempted home invasion). We've been fortunate that all the guys at the ranges have been exceedingly polite & pleasant to my wife so she feels comfortable shooting and enjoys the time together. Finally decided she not only wants to get an HCP but she want's her own gun for her birthday. We're leaning toward the SR40C, she really likes the feel of it in her hand. Actually, I really liked it myself & may look for a twofer deal lol. She had been lookin at concealed carry purses on etsy in the middle of the night but didn't find anything not ugly. Amazon has a lot of concealed carry purses she can look at. I think one of the biggest things keeping my wife from carrying has been the 'how to' with women's clothing. She really liked seeing options in action. This one is popular and it got all sortsa wheels turning in the missus head. There are several other vids that she may find to help her figure out how she can best carry. Glad she's excited about it! Congrats! http://youtu.be/ogGBPVk5GQk

• 1 month later...
Guest robin.kempton

My wife is the current FRG (family readiness group) leader for the 96th ASB (aviation support batallion) 101st CAB. Our unit is in Afghanistan right now and at the last FRG meeting on post she brought up the thought that if any of the spouses were interested, they were welcome to join her and my son and take a concealed carry class the third week of October. She immediately was deluged with request and volunteers. She is up to thirteen (13) people signed up for the very same class with more joining weekly and has help 2 or 3 people that reside in the state of Kentucky to go where the classes are for them. One lady who at this time couldn't take the class has even volunteered to be a photographer for the group of ladies taking the class to be posted on the units FRG Facebook page. Since my wife spearheaded this endeavor I immediately contacted Glock (my wifes personal favorite, the model 19 Gen 4) and I proceeded to order her a new 25th anniversary gun case for her weapon (silver) and a Glock range bag and a Glock womens polo shirt with the Team Glock emblem on it. Can't have her showing up and not look professional. I just wanted to tell the rest of you that the word is being spread and the spouses of Ft Campbells soldiers will be packing and maintaining the peace thanks to my wife. Good shooting to all.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow! This whole post just made my day. It is sometimes a long and gradual process for the womens interest level to jump up, but when it does it sure makes us husbands happy. Long story short, I finally read (and realized) that my wife's next gun purchase needed to be HER DECISION on what to get. She finally says one day that she thinks she wants a differnt carry gun (she has the Keltec 32 -- perfect for its intended purpose but not FUN to shoot & takes practice to get accurate with...) so I take het to the range to meet a friend and to shoot her G26. Loved it. Then she spent over an hour at the academy country debating between the G26 or the Sig P238. Finally decided on the P238 - and man is she HAPPY. She loves it, shoots it better than anything she's ever shot, can rapid fire with accuracy like never before, and I am now craving one myself. It might be the single most favorite handgun I have come across from an "overall" perspective (sights, trigger, feel, accuracy, weight, realiabe, etc). That thing rocks! Bottom line -- she previosuly shot prob 6-8 times/year and could not get used to any double action trigger she tried. She rocks with the single action and I make her practice with it (unloaded) a lot in order to ensure muscle memory with the function, safety, etc. I'd love to see a womens gun club of some sort start up and have already talked to the guys at Nashville Armory about considering such for educational seminars, shooting events, etc. YOU GO GIRLS!!!

last year my wife got her HCP, and has been through several guns before settling down with her current arsenol. it consists of two Sigs (P238 & P938) & a NAA .22 mag 'derringer' style revolver.

last Saturday evening she went full orange SA. We were in a dark parking lot. I had put her in her side of the car, saw 3 males walking toward the car. When I sat down in the drivers seat I was pleasantly suprised to see her weapon in her hand.

She was watching our surroundings ... and had my back. I am very proud of her reaction.

sent from ...

last year my wife got her HCP, and has been through several guns before settling down with her current arsenol. it consists of two Sigs (P238 & P938) & a NAA .22 mag 'derringer' style revolver.

last Saturday evening she went full orange SA. We were in a dark parking lot. I had put her in her side of the car, saw 3 males walking toward the car. When I sat down in the drivers seat I was pleasantly suprised to see her weapon in her hand.

She was watching our surroundings ... and had my back. I am very proud of her reaction.

sent from ...

Thats awesome! :up: