3 people carry guns into movie theater in Putnam County

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
COOKEVILLE, TN (WSMV), Micca Terrell -

Despite a sign prohibiting weapons, police said three people had brought guns into a movie theater Friday night where the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises" was showing.

According to the Herald Citizen, all of the gun carriers had permits.

Police said the movie was stopped briefly and officers entered the Carmike Highland Cinemas on South Jefferson Avenue around 9 p.m.

According to investigators, a theater employee called police after seeing a man with a holstered pistol walk into the theater.

Police found the gun carriers after making an announcement in the theater.

The officers explained the policy prohibiting weapons and asked the men to return their guns to their vehicles, which police said they did.

Police said the theater sign showing that weapons are prohibited was not large enough to be seen easily, so officers advised that it should be made more visible.

http://www.wsmv.com/...n-putnam-county

Edited by ArmyVeteran37214
Guest NashvegasMatt

wow... there is something to be said for having balls... excuse my french, but there also something to be said for just attempting to make a point.

I don't understand why some are criticizing the HCP holders. No charges and the quote from officers is revealing.

"Police said the theater sign showing that weapons are prohibited was not large enough to be seen easily, so officers advised that it should be made more visible."

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

wow... there is something to be said for having balls... excuse my french, but there also something to be said for just attempting to make a point.

I think so, too.

I'm sure I don't see every posting. I know of two that I've missed. I carry everywhere I go. Why would I stop carrying when I go to the movies? If anything, the recent situation illustrates that the movie theater is a prime target for mass shooters. I don't understand all the hate on these guys. Sounds to me like they were doing the same thing most of us normally do. They didn't see the sign? So what?

• Like 1

As I wouldn't open carry I to a theater because of obvious sensitivities, I see nothing wrong here. The police admitted that the sign was not obvious so therefore it's not proper, per the statute. The police acted, because just like any unposted buisness, the carrier can be asked to leave.

• Like 1
Guest ArmaDeFuego

Nice to see that the cops realized that the theater wasnt legally posted, & that the theater let them come back in & finish the movie after leaving the guns in their cars.

I saw this story on the news on TV a couple times & neither time did they mention that the theater wasnt legally posted. They just said that the HCP holders ignored the signs.....

I guess now we know what actually happens when you "don't see" a sign.

Nothing.

Has anyone even heard of anyone else who actually got in legal trouble yet?

Only known documented cases of a person being charged with a violation of 1359 involve airports and weapons being found in the security lines.

I believe there are 2 such cases, although I'm not aware of the outcome of either of them.

Only known documented cases of a person being charged with a violation of 1359 involve airports and weapons being found in the security lines.

I believe there are 2 such cases, although I'm not aware of the outcome of either of them.

And they weren't TN residents, so the clause about losing your HCP in -1352 won't be tested in those cases, even if they are convicted of -1359.

- OS

There was another case in Chattanooga a few years back.... kinda.

The carrier was asked to leave The Majestic 12 and decided to argue over the law instead. He was cited for trespassing best I remember.

The majestic 12 serves alcohol (incident was before "bar carry" passed) so he's lucky he didn't get popped for that too.

And they weren't TN residents, so the clause about losing your HCP in -1352 won't be tested in those cases, even if they are convicted of -1359.

- OS

Really I thought the Memphis airport case was a TN resident? And they dropped some or all of the charges? I might be mistaken I didn't follow it too closely.

Really I thought the Memphis airport case was a TN resident? And they dropped some or all of the charges? I might be mistaken I didn't follow it too closely.

Pretty sure it was out of state person as this was briefly discussed before. Could always be wrong of course, I'm no stranger to that. :)

- OS

You gotta be some kind of extra stupid to OC in a movie theater especially after last week.

I agree...probably just wanted to see if they could get away with it....maybe they don't have a lick of sense!

Dave

Guest ArmaDeFuego

You gotta be some kind of extra stupid to OC in a movie theater especially after last week.

I dont see any problem with it as long as its not posted..... We shouldnt have to give up our rights to be PC.....

Know your operational environment. I think an earlier poster got it right though, it was probably only one guy that was OCing and the other two probably were CCing and "turned" themselves in when there was an announcement.