SEMPER FI! The Marines Bring Back An Old Warhorse!!!

Moped

• Moderators

The only logic that matters is that the Corp wanted some Colt 1911s, and that is what they ordered. I imagine the procurement decision for these was decided long before any tests were designed. It likely wasn't any more complicated that someone with enough brass weight on their epaulettes said " I hate that damned Beretta and so do my men! They want a 1911 and by God we are gonna buy some for them, and we are buying them from Colt!"

Guest USMC 2013

I have mixed feelings about this. Being a Marine for 10 years in the 70s and 80s.

I only wished they could have picked something better than Colt.

These will not be standard Colt's. I don't know the exact specifics, but many of the internal parts will be upgraded for increased realibility. Semper Fi,

Joe

Guest USMC 2013

A S&W M&P would have been a much better choice. I don't see the logic.

I don't agree with you. The 1911 is a proven, battle tested platform. You cannot say the same, to the same degree that you can with a 1911. Plus, the 1911 is more accurate.

I like the M&P and when my bank account allows it I plan on buying a .40 in that flavor, but for a main battle sidearm 1911 hand down, everyday! Semper Fi,

Joe

I don't agree with you. The 1911 is a proven, battle tested platform. You cannot say the same, to the same degree that you can with a 1911. Plus, the 1911 is more accurate.

I like the M&P and when my bank account allows it I plan on buying a .40 in that flavor, but for a main battle sidearm 1911 hand down, everyday! Semper Fi,

Joe

A lot of professional trainers say otherwise. The reliability isn't what I question. I know they can be reliable. It's so heavy for what? 7 or 8 rounds? That's ridiculous. A M&P or a Glock can give you better than that in a lighter package. Personal feelings aside, every ounce matters to a guy who may be marching for days.

Not only that, they are costly to make right. Modern materials have proven themselves time and time again. They have nothing else to prove as far as durability goes. It's much easier on John Q taxpayer to pay for injection molding that for machined parts.

THis is an argument that can never be won. :surrender: I guess I'm just to stupid to understand.

Man, I love my 1911’s and they are fantastic, but if was heading into the streets with a duty weapon or in the military needing a battle sidearm; I would grab my full size M&P 40 with 15 rounds. They have been proven on the streets; they can’t be proven in battle unless someone tries them.

But I’d certainly take a .45 1911 over anything in 9mm. Will they dump the .223 and bring back the 7.62 NATO next? biggrin.gif

That's what I was thinking. If we're going regressive here, let's bring the Garand back.

No need to be regressive, DPMS makes a wicked AR with 19 rounds of .308 standard. It’s my SHTF rifle and would be my choice for a squad car rifle or a battle rifle.

A S&W M&P would have been a much better choice. I don't see the logic.

Just don't lose that little butt tool thing to field strip it.

You don't need a tool with a 1911. It's not my first personal choice, but the 1911 has a long history of being the "right handgun" for THAT gig.

Semper Fi.

• Like 2

maybe showing my age but the issued 1911 you did not a tool just use your thumb, not like the 1911's you buy today were it is tightly fit, all the ones i used and shot as i remember where sloppy loose but ran like a champ!

Is there any data out there how well a .40 ball round (180gr) does for knockdown power? Cause that's what you get to use in the military, just ball ammo. That's where the .45ACP (230gr) shines and where the 9mm (124gr) sucks.

Why did S&W design a pistol that requires a tool for take down? I had no idea that was the case. I actually thought that it would be a good candidate pistol for the Military, but I can't see them adopting a pistol that requires a tool for take down. What happens id you lose the tool in the field and you can't perform maintenance on the pistol?

Edited by Moped

The M&P has a small, thin tool that resides in the grip behind the mag. You have to use it to push down a finger inside the magwell through the ejection port to get the slide to come off to field strip it.

Personally, I don't like that.

• Moderators

Use of that tool to lower the internal takedown lever bypasses the need to pull the trigger as part of the takedown process (like the glock). That being said, if you happen to lose the takedown tool (even though it is part of the grip) you can still field strip it by pulling the trigger in lieu of using the tool.

Is there any data out there how well a .40 ball round (180gr) does for knockdown power? Cause that's what you get to use in the military, just ball ammo. That's where the .45ACP (230gr) shines and where the 9mm (124gr) sucks.

That doesn't fit into the equation in regard to military procurement of new weapons systems. Even if .40 was determined to be the best pistol caliber ever, ever, it wouldn't matter. The standard calibers are 9mm and .45 ACP for the military, just like 5.56, 7.62x51 and .50 BMG is for rifles and machine guns. The cost of purchasing new weapons is small compared to the amount they would have to spend on ammo, and even smaller, specialized units with separate funds for ammo still latch on to the conventional ammo tit in order to keep the ammo supply rolling in. I remember having a .300 winmag for a bolt gun downrange and cringing at every round I had to use to zero it since I only had so much and didn't know when I would get more, whereas my Rem 700 in 7.62 could eat rounds all day with no worries about replenishing. Even .45 ain't to easy to come by in today's military, but it's still in the system whereas .40 is not.

I much as I love the 1911. It would not be my first choice as an issued weapon today.

Back in 2002-2003 I took part in the Joint Combat Pistol Program (JCP). The handgun that really impressed me was the FNX-45 Tactical.

15+1 rounds of 45 ACP is a very good thing.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...fid=FNF062&gid

However, I am not saying that the USMC made a bad choice. For the unique mission and the trained end users of this Colt, it is fine weapon.

You don’t need a tool to take down an M&P; I never use one. A 1911 comes with a barrel bushing wrench, but that doesn’t mean it’s required.

I have a video someone where of me field stripping and reassembling an M&P in under a couple of minutes, I’ll have to see if I can find it.

The M&P comes in .45ACP also. I love the .45ACP round, but I personally, for a combat handgun would take 15 rounds of 40 S&W over 10 rounds of .45 ACP. Although I doubt the military would agree.