Gift for fiancée

Guest my1021

Guest my1021

So, my lady and I live together at our place that we rent together but on some night she stays at her own place on the other side of town because it is closer to her school. I finally convinced her to keep a firearm at her place. Here's the catch: she's from Canada and has only been here for 2 years and isn't yet eligible to apply for citizenship. Is she legally allowed to keep one of my handguns at her place for protection?

Mike

So, my lady and I live together at our place that we rent together but on some night she stays at her own place on the other side of town because it is closer to her school. I finally convinced her to keep a firearm at her place. Here's the catch: she's from Canada and has only been here for 2 years and isn't yet eligible to apply for citizenship. Is she legally allowed to keep one of my handguns at her place for protection?

Mike

By federal law, if she's is a legal permanent US resident (or believe it or not, here legally in any form and has a hunting license) she can own guns. No probs with TN law either.

Some of the rest is assuming she's 21:

She can even buy handgun herself from FFL -- could possibly have hassle purchasing one from an FFL with just the hunting license if she's not a permanent resident, depending on knowledge of the FFL, but there is a hunting license exception on the 4473 form, along with some other exceptions that likely don't apply to her. She can also buy guns in private sales.

If she's a permanent resident she can even get her TN Carry Permit.

Other hint: if you're buying one at a gunshop, or FFL dealer at a show, do not buy it yourself on 4473 and hand it to her in gun shop, or hand her the money or try to pay for it yourself in gunshop for her to purchase on 4473, etc, even though both of you may be totally legal, to eliminate any possibility of being accused of a straw purchase.

Also, again assuming she's legal to own, besides gifting her a gun, you may also merely loan her a gun, no time period specified, in case you wanted to lay something temporarily on her right away you had, and shop for something later. Mostly semantics there, really.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest vca2004

Well, if she doesn't have a green card (resident alien card), then she is NOT a permanent resident yet. Is she here on a immigrant (e.g fiancee visa) or non-immigrant (e.g. student) visa? A person with a non-immigrant visa is NOT allowed to purchase a firearm.

Does she have a visa or resident alien card?

(note: I am a permanent resident)

Edited by vca2004
Guest my1021

Shes only got student visa at the moment. I'm just wondering if she can legally keep one of my handguns at her house since Memphis isn't the safest place or a young lady to live by herself lol.

not allowed to purchase is not the same as not allowed to have --- sorta like the age to buy vs parent buys one situations. I say give it to her, the only way the issue should come up is if she has to use it. In which case, you accidentally left it there after spending the night.

Guest vca2004

Yeah, but to what extend is he going to be liable then? Or is she going to get in trouble if she has to use it? Honestly, I think the best thing to do is talk to a laywer about it. Ask him if you can leave YOUR gun with her. That was she wouldn't have broken the law buying one. But make sure you are not getting in any other trouble doing that.

Once you are married, it'll still be another two years before she can even apply for permanent residency.

Guest vca2004

I mean the thing is we are not talking about a speeding ticket here. You want to have the law on your side if she ends up having to use lethal force against somebody!

As I said, get her a hunting license. Since she could buy them from FFL with one, it would surely cover having one you gave her also. Or just give her the money and let her buy one herself.

You can do basic hunting/fishing license online or at Walmart, doesn't cost much.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

If she's a good woman, marry her before she wakes up and realizes she could do better. That's what I did! [no insult intended]

Problem solved.

I agree with this. People bitch and moan about their marriage all the time, but I don't know what I would do without my wife.

• Like 2

I agree with this. People bitch and moan about their marriage all the time, but I don't know what I would do without my wife.

You'd probably be like me, If I didn't have her, I wouldn't know wether to scratch my watch or wind my butt. I open jars, earn the bread and squash spiders. She sees I'm fed, medicated and the bills are payed. Despite some peoples delusions, love is not the nucleus of a good marriage. It's trust and need. A symbiotic relationship where the two parts contribute even portions to a functioning whole. I do love her though ;)

Edited by Caster
  • Like 3

...Honestly, I think the best thing to do is talk to a laywer about it. Ask him if you can leave YOUR gun with her. That was she wouldn't have broken the law buying one.

+1

It doesn't take a lawyer to read instructions on a 4473 for questions 11 and 12, which is simply same verbiage found in 18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code.

http://www.atf.gov/f...tf-f-4473-1.pdf

I mean, even a gun store employee can do it. ;)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot