An Old Auto-5 Light

Guest darth_jbell

Guest darth_jbell

I know this might be a long shot, but I thought I'd try.

I have an old A5 in Superb condition handed down to me from my grandfather who received it from his father-in-law many years ago.

I sent it to the company asking them to inspect it, clean it up and put it in working mechanical condition.

I got a call yesterday from them saying they can't put it in working order without changing it to fit 2 3/4" 16 gauge shells (currently it only handles 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" shells). I know that's a bit of an odd size, but there are a few companies that manufacture such shot shells b/c that sizes remains somewhat popular in Europe and even here in the US for collectors.

So my question to y'all is, does this sound reasonable? Sure, changing it to 2 3/4" would make it more versatile, but does that seem like the only way?

I know this isn't a lot of info, but if anyone is interested in helping out I'll pass along some of the parts quoted to see what y'all think.

Thanks.

If I were going to keep it and use it I would have it changed.

Another consideration would be just what they have to do to it to change it to 2 3/4".

Edit: If all of the changes were internal and wouldn't change the exterior look/finish (ex: barrel change and finish is off) of the gun I would be really tempted to have it changed.

If I was looking to sell it I wouldn't have it changed.

Edited by BrasilNuts
Guest darth_jbell

The way I understand it is that it's a fairly routine job for them, but it's a bit involved. I'm pretty sure any competent gunsmith could do it, but I sent it to the Company so I wouldn't have to do that. I don't want to change it and I don't want to sell it. I'd like to hand it down to my son eventually, but I want it to work too. I'll keep everyone informed on what else I hear from them.

I'd be curious as to the exact details of what they do and why they need to do it. Does it need to be re-chambered simply because they don't have the stuff to deal with the other shell sizes, or is there some real functional reason why?

Guest darth_jbell

Sounds like they just don't have the stuff to deal with the other shell size. Kind of disappointing since I called the service department before I ever shipped it to confirm their capability to get it up and running. I'm supposed to hear back from one of their more senior gunsmiths by the end of the week, so maybe he can give me more info. I'll keep you posted.

Guest m14man

(731) 784-5746 call this number its whmc gunstore in humboldt tn, the gun smith is a browning warranty gun smith for the southern region and the guy who ownes it is extremely knowledgeable about a5 brownings. he has the largest collection of old shotguns i have ever seen.

Guest darth_jbell

Looks to me like all ya got to do is to ream the chamber to 2 3/4. I'd recommend takin it to Bob at Predator Custom shop and lettin him have a look.

leroy

Yeah, that's the way I understand it from the Company, but I hope to avoid clambering it. If I end up having to change the chamber and port I'll definitely chat w/PCS.

Guest darth_jbell

(731) 784-5746 call this number its whmc gunstore in humboldt tn, the gun smith is a browning warranty gun smith for the southern region and the guy who ownes it is extremely knowledgeable about a5 brownings. he has the largest collection of old shotguns i have ever seen.

I'll certainly keep this gentleman in mind too.

Right now it looks like I've got a few more options than I originally thought. I appreciate all the inputs in just one day! Thanks TGO!

Now I just have to see if I can get my hostage A5 released from its captors...

Yeah, that's the way I understand it from the Company, but I hope to avoid clambering it. If I end up having to change the chamber and port I'll definitely chat w/PCS.

I understand. Is the gun marked for the shorter shells or does it say 16 ga? It may be a european market model (...which i think is extremely cool!!...). I've never seen any "european" brownings; but i bet there were some. I've never seen a 16 ga other than a "sweet 16". I understand that in the early days (...think late teens and twenties...) that the germans liked the 16 ga about as well as a 12 ga. Sounds to me ya got a neat old piece of history there. I'm a great browning A5 affectionado (...along with Winchester 97's and model 12's as well...). The fact is that J M Browning designed all the "modern" shotguns ya see today. I still think the A5 is the king.

Good luck with the studies.

leroy

Edited by leroy
Guest m14man

id be afraid to change it odd things in a5 are worth more. thats why i gave you that number. mcclaneahan loves a5's and could tell ya if its worth more the way it is or changed.he has been doing it for like 30 years. he is kinda different tho.

Guest darth_jbell

I understand. Is the gun marked for the shorter shells or does it say 16 ga? It may be a european market model (...which i think is extremely cool!!...). I've never seen any "european" brownings; but i bet there were some. I've never seen a 16 ga other than a "sweet 16". I understand that in the early days (...think late teens and twenties...) that the germans liked the 16 ga about as well as a 12 ga. Sounds to me ya got a neat old piece of history there. I'm a great browning A5 affectionado (...along with Winchester 97's and model 12's as well...). The fact is that J M Browning designed all the "modern" shotguns ya see today. I still think the A5 is the king.

Good luck with the studies.

leroy

It's definitely rare. The Historian said it's date of manufacture with a 46,xxxx serial number was 1936 (maybe '38). It was assembled it Belgium by FN just like all the early ones, and it was the last year they used Ogden barrels. After that they used the St Louis ones. Pretty sure it was always an American market model, though, b/c according to my grandfather, that's when my great grandfather (his Father-in-law) got it.

If I can ever rescue it, I'll try to post some pix.

Guest darth_jbell

id be afraid to change it odd things in a5 are worth more. thats why i gave you that number. mcclaneahan loves a5's and could tell ya if its worth more the way it is or changed.he has been doing it for like 30 years. he is kinda different tho.

I wholeheartedly agree. If there's a way to avoid permanently changing it I certainly will. At the same time, I don't want to bequeath a wall hanger to my son when the time is right.

The most disappointing thing is calling ahead of time and researching ammo for it to keep it fed before I sent it in only to be told "we can't do that" once I've already paid for shipping and agreeing to their assessment charge.

:-(

I wholeheartedly agree. If there's a way to avoid permanently changing it I certainly will. At the same time, I don't want to bequeath a wall hanger to my son when the time is right.

The most disappointing thing is calling ahead of time and researching ammo for it to keep it fed before I sent it in only to be told "we can't do that" once I've already paid for shipping and agreeing to their assessment charge.

:-(

A wall hanger ain't all bad, especially when it's a family heirloom. Dad has his grandfather's double barrel shotgun. It's got damascus barrels and was made in England sometime around 1880. Definitely a wall hanger, definitely cool.

Guest darth_jbell

A wall hanger ain't all bad, especially when it's a family heirloom. Dad has his grandfather's double barrel shotgun. It's got damascus barrels and was made in England sometime around 1880. Definitely a wall hanger, definitely cool.

Touchez, PJ and a very good point. Don't worry. I haven't put it in 2 3/4 configuration yet.

Doesn't the receiver opening have to be elongated to eject the longer shell? Seems like I've seen 16g A5's where bubba would grind the receiver open to clear it. They weren't pretty.

No way I'd do it. Shot shells are just too darn easy to load. I'd buy a loader, set it up 2 1/2" 16g and make my own.

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1
Guest darth_jbell

Doesn't the receiver opening have to be elongated to eject the longer shell? Seems like I've seen 16g A5's where bubba would grind the receiver open to clear it. They weren't pretty.

No way I'd do it. Shot shells are just too darn easy to load. I'd buy a loader, set it up 2 1/2" 16g and make my own.

Yep. They'd have to open up the ejection port some. I'm sure the Company would do a nice job of it, but why can't they just get the internals fixed up so I can keep it in 2 1/2? That's my big gripe. Hopefully I can talk to someone else out there soon.

Yep. They'd have to open up the ejection port some. I'm sure the Company would do a nice job of it, but why can't they just get the internals fixed up so I can keep it in 2 1/2? That's my big gripe. Hopefully I can talk to someone else out there soon.

I would. Those things are just too rare nowadays to start chopping on, don't matter how good the machine work is. It could be stripped down and and a really sharp carbide endmill will make the cut and look flawless, but I'm with ya, I'd rather get it running the way it was designed to run.

Old Brownings are extremely collectable. Especially the ones in your configuration. I would strongly suggest you not modify it for two reasons. One it kills the value. Two you are changing a piece of history that can't be reclaimed.

If you like old Brownings, I would recommend buying this book:

Browning Auto-5 Shotguns

The Belgian FN Production

by H.M. Shirley, Jr & Anthony Vanderlinden

This is the go to book for info on a5s.

You have a special shotgun. I hope you keep it in its original state. :2cents:

• Like 1
Guest darth_jbell

To all my TGO buds...

I FINALLY heard back from the manager of shop service at Browning yesterday. He did confirm they can't do anything without changing the configuration to 2 3/4". I was definitely very disappointed in this news, but he did say they would release my Auto-5 from it's captivity without charging me their typical assessment fee.

So it looks like when I get it back I'll be able to check with some of the other fellows y'all mentioned. I'll be happy to see it again.

Thanks for all the help!

Keep us apprised. I'm nosy and I wanna see where this goes.

THere's several good 'smiths in the mid-TN area. Get it to one of them, let them help you get it going and looking good again. THen cough up the $$$ for a reloading setup and dedicate it to 2 1/2" 16g. You HAVE to do it now. It's a moral imperative.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest darth_jbell

Hey, everyone! I finally got my old Auto 5 back from the company unchanged! They sent me a nice, free ball cap for all my disappointment.

It was a nice gesture, but now I need to start asking some of those other guys if they can get it up and running w/the 2.5" shells.

Wish me luck!