Handgun Carry Permit Holders Please Read!

Guest brentt

Guest brentt

i have no idea. i was reading on some other website and ran across some old blogs talking about guns and such i think in 2009, anyway they were talking about this website so i was wondering if it was still up or if they finally got enough complaints to take it off. NOPE still up. " public record" some moron said. Isnt right if you ask me. Too much private info. Is it not a vialation of a right or something?

Guest brentt

Went up maybe 3 years ago. Old news, long standing controversy.

It originally had street address, too!

- OS

yea. I thought since I was just learning about it others may be in the same boat as me so I decided to share.

Guest nysos

If it is a public record, then they aren't doing anything wrong. All they have done is make it easier by making the database easy to access via their website.

...Too much private info. Is it not a vialation of a right or something?

Nope, hasn't proven to be so far and AFAIK you can buy access to the database yourself from the state.

Some states have statute to prevent this, and one was tried in TN, but failed.

- OS

Guest brentt

Went up maybe 3 years ago. Old news, long standing controversy.

It originally had street address, too!

- OS

with the full names and zip, a quick copy/paste on google and they still have your adress.

There are so many with HCP now it doesn't really bother me as much. I have pulled over little old ladies that it came back they had a HCP. I had a day that I stopped about 10 cars and almost all had a HCP but almost none were carrying. A while ago it bothered me that our names were listed but not as much anymore.

Edited by Patton
Guest bkelm18

Yes, your HCP info is a matter of public info. The paper hasn't done anything illegal. Just a simple matter of FOIA. You woulda been really angry a couple years ago. They used to put what street you lived on as well.

There are so many with HCP now it doesn't really bother me as much. I have pulled over little old ladies that it came back they had a HCP. I had a day that I stopped about 10 cars and almost all had a HCP but almost none were carrying. A while ago it bothered me but not as much anymore.

Makes me a little sad. Have they been "beaten" into not carrying by their family, peers, or other gun control nuts. Or when they go to work and are they not allowed to have it in their office or car?

• Like 1

Makes me a little sad. Have they been "beaten" into not carrying by their family, peers, or other gun control nuts. Or when they go to work and are they not allowed to have it in their office or car?

Part of it is that depending on your lifestyle, half the places you go are no carry. And most folks obey the law and don't want their gun stolen from their car.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

Part of it is that depending on your lifestyle, half the places you go are no carry. And most folks obey the law and don't want their gun stolen from their car.

- OS

This is my situation. I'm in a profession where I can't carry according to current law, and changing employers won't help. (I teach). Its not like I have a choice, I can't go get a new job that's more carry friendly unless I change professions. I can't even leave the gun in my car because I park on campus. (I don't like leaving a weapon in my car anyway even if it was legal at school).

So I carry when I can, (at the grocery store, walmart, dinner, etc ...), and leave it at home when I go to work. I don't like it, but until the law changes, it is what it is.

This is my situation. I'm in a profession where I can't carry according to current law, and changing employers won't help. (I teach). Its not like I have a choice, I can't go get a new job that's more carry friendly unless I change professions. I can't even leave the gun in my car because I park on campus. (I don't like leaving a weapon in my car anyway even if it was legal at school).

So I carry when I can, (at the grocery store, walmart, dinner, etc ...), and leave it at home when I go to work. I don't like it, but until the law changes, it is what it is.

Just a note: it is legal in TN for a non-student adult to store gun in car on campus, presumably unloaded; although it may well be a fireable offense in your terms of employment, dunno.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Just a note: it is legal in TN for a non-student adult to store gun in car on campus, presumably unloaded; although it may well be a fireable offense in your terms of employment, dunno.

- OS

You know I think I knew that and just forgot ... haha. I recall some discussion on this in another thread a while back now that you mention it. Thanks for the info.

If it is a public record, then they aren't doing anything wrong. All they have done is make it easier by making the database easy to access via their website.

It is, currently, public record but just because information exists in a database doesn't mean that is should be. Many states specifically make data about citizens non-public which in this day and age of completely out of control ID theft is the only logical thing to do.

In this case, the Communist Appeal did it, I believe, simply to irritate and/or intimidate HCP holders...or perhaps it was just a desperate attempt to be relevant again.

Some may argue they were beaten into getting a HCP but they decided not to carry. Or maybe they got it so they may carry if the need should occur(roll eyes). I think a lot of women get one with their husbands or because of their husbands and are just waiting to get a gun(like my mom).

There are so many with HCP now it doesn't really bother me as much. I have pulled over little old ladies that it came back they had a HCP. I had a day that I stopped about 10 cars and almost all had a HCP but almost none were carrying. A while ago it bothered me but not as much anymore.

Question: It sounds like you're in law enforcement?

When someone gets pulled over by LE in Tennessee (city, county, state) is it standard practice for the dispatcher to tell the officer the subject vehicle registered vehicle owner has a HCP? I listen to my police scanner on occasion here in Henry County to see what's happening around here, and seldom do I hear the dispatcher tell the officer HCP status? Thanks.

Guest bkelm18

Question: It sounds like you're in law enforcement?

When someone gets pulled over by LE in Tennessee (city, county, state) is it standard practice for the dispatcher to tell the officer the subject vehicle registered vehicle owner has a HCP? I listen to my police scanner on occasion here in Henry County to see what's happening around here, and seldom do I hear the dispatcher tell the officer HCP status? Thanks.

Your HCP is linked to your DL. When they run a DL, it'll say if they have a HCP or not.

The dispatchers miss it a lot. It's high lighted in red on the screen but they miss it or don't bother to tell~75% of the time. If there from another state it most likely will not say anyone. Treat every vehicle like it has a firearm in it. It's not the HCP holders I worry about so I don't care if they tell me. If anything I might relax a little to know they have a HCP. I can also look it up there complete DMV record on my phone or or laptop. It shows everything that's happened through the DMV and Dept of Safety. Even every DL photo for the last 20yrs. A few months ago I found a record of a DUI from the 60's.