Handgun Carry Permit Holders Please Read!

Guest brentt

Makes me a little sad. Have they been "beaten" into not carrying by their family, peers, or other gun control nuts. Or when they go to work and are they not allowed to have it in their office or car?

My employer has decided we are safe enough that no firearms may be kept in cars parked on company property...which will continue to work, right up until it doesn't.

Guest Springfield1911guy

There are so many with HCP now it doesn't really bother me as much. I have pulled over little old ladies that it came back they had a HCP. I had a day that I stopped about 10 cars and almost all had a HCP but almost none were carrying. A while ago it bothered me but not as much anymore.

Just curious, why did it bother you that law abiding citizens had HCP's, or did I misunderstand you?

It is, currently, public record but just because information exists in a database doesn't mean that is should be. Many states specifically make data about citizens non-public which in this day and age of completely out of control ID theft is the only logical thing to do.

In this case, the Communist Appeal did it, I believe, simply to irritate and/or intimidate HCP holders...or perhaps it was just a desperate attempt to be relevant again.

The result is many HCP holders dropped their subscription to the Commie Appeal. If this is the only "news" they can find to report, I'll spend my money on another news source.

hmmm I dont see my name on the database...

The Commie Appeal isn't interested in keeping it's reporting accurate, it just needs to make a headline.

I wasn't in the their database for awhile, but they occassionly update it. Usually when they need something to justify their pay on a slow news day.

Edited by tnhawk

Just curious, why did it bother you that law abiding citizens had HCP's, or did I misunderstand you?

I was a little vague. It bothered me that our names were published but now with so many names added to the growing list there is about a ~10% chance someone of age in TN has a HCP.

Guest motonut

Makes me a little sad. Have they been "beaten" into not carrying by their family, peers, or other gun control nuts. Or when they go to work and are they not allowed to have it in their office or car?

I've had my permit for 4 years and carried probably 6 times. Not because I've been told not to but because I wasn't going somewhere I felt I needed it. I've managed to make it 50+ years w/out being shot at yet, hope to make a few more.

Got the permit in case I ever felt threatened and didn't want to wait until it's too late to go through the application process.

Some HCP holders get them just to get them with no intention of carrying.

A few friends of my wife got theirs so they can impress those taking their order at a bar. They said they like handing the bartender a HCP rather than an ID.

For me I don't have a problem with it as long as they follow the law. It will not change the fact I carry every single day and have been since November 22, 2008. I have been without a gun less than a week since then and most of that was on a military installation where it was prohibited.

Dolomite

I don't like the database, but I don't think anything negative has come of it.

I dare say that probably MOST HCP holders do not carry on a regular basis.

I carry every day because I need the extra 2 pounds on my right side to keep me from walking in circles.

But I only wear my seat belt when I think I'll need it.

Edited by Clod Stomper

I have had my permit for years but didn't find my name. That hurts my feelings. :rant:

Since it looks like you may be using your real name, and it's not common, out of curiosity I looked -- there is a John David Nowlin in Savannah in database your age. Not you?

There's also another John D. Nowlin in Savannah, much younger. Your son?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Don't like it at all. I can't think of one good reason that info should be floating around the internet...anyone? Someone should start a database where you can search to see if people are illegal immigrants or not and see how much better their privacy and "rights" are protected than our own.

If it is a public record, then they aren't doing anything wrong. All they have done is make it easier by making the database easy to access via their website.

Didn't someone post the home addresses of the employees of the "paper" somewhere when this happened?

Guest brentt

Don't like it at all. I can't think of one good reason that info should be floating around the internet...anyone? Someone should start a database where you can search to see if people are illegal immigrants or not and see how much better their privacy and "rights" are protected than our own.

I think we should get a directory with all TN residents on it, subtract the people from the HCP list and put it on a website titled " COME ROB MY A$$ IM UNARMED.COM". Its public info, right?

I think we should get a directory with all TN residents on it, subtract the people from the HCP list and put it on a website titled " COME ROB MY A$$ IM UNARMED.COM". Its public info, right?

HAHAHA Fantastic!!! I love it! I guess that would go along well with putting signs on the curb beside businesses who don't allow CC advertising that they are easy targets as well lol

Since it looks like you may be using your real name, and it's not common, out of curiosity I looked -- there is a John David Nowlin in Savannah in database your age. Not you?

There's also another John D. Nowlin in Savannah, much younger. Your son?

- OS

If one looks at my HCP card it seems to show my name as John David Nowlin III which is my full name. John David Nowlin was my grandfather and he is in a cemetary in Memphis. John David Nowlin Jr. is in a cemetary in Mississippi. That would leave the other one as my son. I bet you can guess what his name is.

If one looks at my HCP card it seems to show my name as John David Nowlin III which is my full name. John David Nowlin was my grandfather and he is in a cemetary in Memphis. John David Nowlin Jr. is in a cemetary in Mississippi. That would leave the other one as my son. I bet you can guess what his name is.

Okay, :)

Anyway, then, you and your son are indeed shown in the HCP database, so you don't hafta have hurt feelings after all. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Let's look at it as a BG don't go here list. I am sure I am on it and really don't care It would be fun to start an "I am unarmed site," but there are a lot of gun owners that don't have HCPs. So if someone tried to rob one and got shot we would probably get sued for providing false information. Lol. That is just how our legal system works.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Well as funny thing (to me) I found and I would have not known ( as I have had zero contact with her) is my Ex wife now has a gun permit as of last year.

We got Divorced 15 years ago and at that time she didn't like guns in the house.

The things one learns on the internet!

Let's look at it as a BG don't go here list.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

The problem a lot of folks had with it - and I still see the objection as valid (but more so when full addresses were listed) - is that it is really more of a, "These folks have carry permits which means there is a good chance they have other guns, too, so go to their house while they are at work, be prepared to overcome a lock box, safe, etc. and you'll most likely be able to steal some guns, possibly several of them," list.

Edited by JAB
Guest brentt

Let's look at it as a BG don't go here list. I am sure I am on it and really don't care It would be fun to start an "I am unarmed site," but there are a lot of gun owners that don't have HCPs. So if someone tried to rob one and got shot we would probably get sued for providing false information. Lol. That is just how our legal system works.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

YEA It was just a joke but you are 100% correct

Many people also only carry when they think they are going somewhere they might need it. When I was an instructor, I had that conversation all the time. In fact, I heard a lady just two days ago say that she didn't understand why you would ever carry a gun when you were "just going to Kroger to buy bananas." I personally wasn't talking to her, but I heard the conversation. The guy talking to her said that where you were going and what you were buying had nothing to do with whether you might need a gun and she said again, "I just don't understand what a gun has do with going shopping."

ETA: Interesting that the database apparently shows an "issue date" of the most recent renewal. Apparently, I've only had my permit for about 2 years.

Edited by robbiev