Ruger Mini-14 or AR?

lshel

I have a wood stock Mini-14 SS that shoots okay, group size increases as barrel heats up. The Mini-14 has a less military look.I have been thinking about an AR, but have very little knowledge as to which brands. I've read that the AR's hold group size better when barrel heats-up. I would like to go to a modest price decent factory built AR, not a parts gun. Suggestions please.

AR. The mini is far less accurate, uses nonstandard mags, is difficult to reload (you can put the mag in and it clicks but is not really seated, and getting it to hook on the post can be slow/aggravating), and has fewer accessories. The mini is a lot of fun but the ar, even the cheapest ones, are better in most categories.

I have a wood stock Mini-14 SS that shoots okay, group size increases as barrel heats up. The Mini-14 has a less military look.I have been thinking about an AR, but have very little knowledge as to which brands. I've read that the AR's hold group size better when barrel heats-up. I would like to go to a modest price decent factory built AR, not a parts gun. Suggestions please.

I like the Mini but prefer the AR. You can get an AR with a free float forearm that will take stress off the barrel improving group size. You can also get an AR with a heavy barrel that will take longer to heat up (downside... takes longer to cool down). It's also easy to add a better trigger if you desire. For me, building an AR is as fun as shooting it.

As for factory assembled, I see decent prices on DPMS and M&P AR's from time to time. Saw DPMS for $609 at Benton Shooter's Supply, but that's too far from you.

Edited by Batman

I have two Mini14's (improved versions), good many mags (all factory but one, all reliable), and a basic AR, the M&P Sport.

Love 'em all. Yes, the AR seems to be more somewhat more accurate, but we're talking in precise target sense, all are same minute of torso rifles in combat sense.

For EOTAWKI, the AR has an edge because of parts if nothing else. You can't even get a spare factory Mini firing pin, for example.

Main diff is to me is mostly aesthetic: the Mini is a traditional "rifle" (based on historic military action to boot) and the AR is a modular "device". The Mini has soul, the AR has technology, they'll both make things daid at the same distances. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

The Mini runs like a top with Ruger mags. I have a bunch of plastic ones that stay in a box somewhere. With that said, go with the AR and don't look back. The M&P sport is a good 'un for a basic rifle. There are several good ones out there. Rock river is great if you can find one.

• Like 1

I have two Mini14's (improved versions), good many mags (all factory but one, all reliable), and a basic AR, the M&P Sport.

Love 'em all. Yes, the AR seems to be more somewhat more accurate, but we're talking in precise target sense, all are same minute of torso rifles in combat sense.

For EOTAWKI, the AR has an edge because of parts if nothing else. You can't even get a spare factory Mini firing pin, for example.

Main diff is to me is mostly aesthetic: the Mini is a traditional "rifle" (based on historic military action to boot) and the AR is a modular "device". The Mini has soul, the AR has technology, they'll both make things daid at the same distances. :)

- OS

I like maintaining the AR a lot better. Still can't get the bolt back into a Mini without standing on my head and lots of profanity

The Mini runs like a top with Ruger mags. I have a bunch of plastic ones that stay in a box somewhere. With that said, go with the AR and don't look back. The M&P sport is a good 'un for a basic rifle. There are several good ones out there. Rock river is great if you can find one.

I had only one factory mag with mine and one functional aftermarket. I had 6 aftermarket mags that were garbage. This was also during the Brady years when pickens were slim.

Sounds like you are only asking about WHICH AR, as you already have a Mini-14. Like a couple other people said, the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport is a good rifle for the money.

For the same money, I'd pass on DPMS and Bushmaster, etc. Nothing wrong with them, per se, but the S&W is a better buy. There may well be some more good deals out there since more and more companies are popping up and building AR-style rifles.

Yes I have a 2009 Mini-14 Range rifle, but would like to try a M&P 15 Sporter, if I can find a good used one. I noticed prices are usually at/below $739 for a new one. The M&P 15 sporter has a 1:8 twist, how does this preform with 55 g and heavier bullets in a 16" barrel?

Yes I have a 2009 Mini-14 Range rifle, but would like to try a M&P 15 Sporter, if I can find a good used one. I noticed prices are usually at/below $739 for a new one. The M&P 15 sporter has a 1:8 twist, how does this preform with 55 g and heavier bullets in a 16" barrel?

Everything's climbing up, ammo's getting shorter supply. Just got a notice from Sportsmans Guide that they can't supply even backordered 9mm.

I bought two Sports, $681 total from TN shop in Feb, and $665 total shipped from PSA in April.

Haven't seen any that would be $700 or less in hand since.

As Dolomite here will tell you "1:8 will stabilize anything that can fit in an AR15 magazine".

- OS

Edited by OhShoot